A place to discuss other watch-brands
PA012
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Matthew and Son - Opinions Needed!

Post by PA012 »

Hi everyone!

I saw these watches Completely by chance and was quite taken by them. I like the story behind the father and son Team and being a watch based on the infamous Irukandji Jellyfish I was just taken in.

Was wondering what your opinions are on them proced at approx £300 after Shipping and taxes and usi a NH35 Seiko movement which I'm not familiar with either!

Site is https://www.maswatch.com/ and have attached pic below, looking forward to seeing your comments.

Cheers all

2000_5e1001aca2253.jpg
C60 Trident 300 Blue Face/Blue Bezel
C20 Lido White
Malvern C5 White
Tudor Style Sunray Silver 41mm
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Matthew and Son - Opinions Needed!

Post by TheBeatles »

Some interesting colours and the movement is ok. I’ve had no problems at all with any watches using the NH35.

I’m just a bit confused by “case is 42mm at the wrist, and 39.5mm at the bezel“. Does this mean 42mm including crown?

If so, I think the lug width of 20mm for a 42mm case, for me anyway, is a tad narrow. I would’ve preferred 22mm lug width.

Overall, not a bad package but the lug width kills it for me as it looks a little unbalanced. Obviously just my personal opinion.

I will be interested in your thoughts if you go ahead and buy one.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Slightly more quirky and interesting than a lot of generic divers. However, those hands look positively weedy to me in the context of the watch, and I feel that something much more solid would be appropriate. In particular the hour hand seems tiny.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Does Cat Stevens do their theme song? ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

I kinda like those :D
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:36 am Slightly more quirky and interesting than a lot of generic divers. However, those hands look positively weedy to me in the context of the watch, and I feel that something much more solid would be appropriate. In particular the hour hand seems tiny.
Totally agree with this, what happened to the hands. This meme sums it up for me, the watch clearly skipped "hands day"

b9594c2ae7c30031cec025d6db36faba.jpg
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

The MAS Irukandji was launched on Kickstarter last year, with a choice of colours and (I think) a choice of crown positions. I’m not a backer, but am a member of a FB group where a few members have bought them and they are very happy with the watch and the way the campaign was run and executed.

Matthew Francis himself is a member of the same group and for what it’s worth seems to be a thoroughly decent guy. He has another offering on Kickstarter right now, which looks like it has just closed (funded).

I suggest you view the Irukandji campaign itself and read the backers comments (link below). You can usually tell how happy or sad the backer community is.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m ... dive-watch
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
KiEllwood
Junior
Junior

Post by KiEllwood »

Hi,
This is a seriously superb watch for the money. Excellent build quality and the dimensions are spot on really. I have to say for a first Kickstarter project, it was beyond expectation and I really love mine.
You won’t be disappointed.
Ki
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I don't get flipping the movement 180 degrees to put the crown at 10. I guess this is MAS attempting to 'disrupt the industry' since that seems to be a requirement for all Kickstarter watches. Destro crowns look ok at 9, but this just looks like a diver with a He valve that the winding crown fell off of. With the crown at 4 it looks ok, although as others have said the hands are too small. It does look like a good value for the money though.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
PA012
Junior
Junior

Post by PA012 »

Thanks for all the feed back definitely keep it coming, I'll be buying one so I'll let you know how it works out.

I really think I appreciate the Irukandji caseback ,though it's likely a personal thing and I thought it interesting that you can chose the crowns location (10/4).
C60 Trident 300 Blue Face/Blue Bezel
C20 Lido White
Malvern C5 White
Tudor Style Sunray Silver 41mm
Neil b
Senior
Senior

Post by Neil b »

It’s a no from me can’t stand where the winder is over all nowt new about it
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 am
I’m just a bit confused by “case is 42mm at the wrist, and 39.5mm at the bezel“.
If viewed from the side, it’s got a sort of pot shape to it. It narrows from a base of 42 up to 39.5 at the top (bezel). Kinda of like a pear shape? Or a fat bottomed girl. Actually looks ok.
Here’s a pic from Josh Flagg that kinda shows it?
F094283D-B655-4AFD-93DE-A0577EFA187D.jpeg
Steve.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Thermexman wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:52 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:29 am
I’m just a bit confused by “case is 42mm at the wrist, and 39.5mm at the bezel“.
If viewed from the side, it’s got a sort of pot shape to it. It narrows from a base of 42 up to 39.5 at the top (bezel). Kinda of like a pear shape? Or a fat bottomed girl. Actually looks ok.
Here’s a pic from Josh Flagg that kinda shows it?

F094283D-B655-4AFD-93DE-A0577EFA187D.jpeg
Thanks Steve, looks ok from that angle. I wish someone hadn’t mentioned the pointers, now I can’t stop seeing them as being too thin.

But at that price point, you can’t have everything.

Anybody got any thoughts on my view about the 20mm lug width for this size case?

However, just checked my collection and my Bulova Moonwatch has 45mm case with 20mm lugs. That looks ok. So maybe I’m being a bit harsh!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain