New CW

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JH123

New CW

Post by JH123 »

Hi all
Used to post here a long time ago but forgot username hence new account. I've a Trident C61 from years back but looking to purchase a new CW.
Struggling to decide primarily between the C65 GMT and the C65 Dartmouth but also considering a C60.
I've liked the explorer style look but I'm also drawn to the styling and chronometer of the Dartmouth. Then again the more modern c60 is also drawing me in.
What would you go for?
James
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: New CW

Post by biggus_richus »

Welcome back James.

It's a difficult question to answer as only you know what you like and what your criteria for adding a watch to your collection are. Speaking personally, if I'm purchasing a new watch, I'm looking at what sort of hole it fills in the collection and whether it offers something different enough from everything else - colour, shape, style, aesthetic. I own three mk2 C60s, each different enough in my eyes to warrant keeping them. I have long wanted a red bezel C60 though and was considering a mk3 GMT, but when a pre-owned C65 Pepsi came up just last week at what I considered a good price, I went for that.

It's now away for a few more days until my birthday. I don't know whether it will satisfy the red C60 desire, and it may well take a bit of time to decide. In your case, any of the models you're thinking about could happily sit alongside your C61 according to my own criteria, and quality wise I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. But always worth considering in terms of what you have and what else you might hope to have.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Welcome back! If you'd like a C60 with Red Bezel act fast as when they are sold out CW will not be making red bezels any longer (due to a permanent supply problem for the ceramic process)
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The first question for me would be: "Do you need/will you use a GMT?"

If yes, answer obvious. If no, think again.

Complications are nice, but for me there's little point in having them unless you intend to use them.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm The first question for me would be: "Do you need/will you use a GMT?"

Complications are nice, but for me there's little point in having them unless you intend to use them.
Respectfully disagree there, I think the GMT hand brings a nice splash of colour, certainly in the case of CW's models, regardless of whether you will use the GMT function. And the extra hand also adds a little more when coordinating with the hybrid straps with orange edging.

I'd wager that most of us are buying a dive watch because we like the look, not because we need a rotating bezel and 600m/1000m of water resistance.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

biggus_richus wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:47 pm The first question for me would be: "Do you need/will you use a GMT?"

Respectfully disagree there, I think the GMT hand brings a nice splash of colour, certainly in the case of CW's models, regardless of whether you will use the GMT function. And the extra hand also adds a little more when coordinating with the hybrid straps with orange edging.

I'd wager that most of us are buying a dive watch because we like the look, not because we need a rotating bezel and 600m/1000m of water resistance.
Agreed. I’ve gravitated to dive watches for the perceived ruggedness, sometimes I ask a lot of my watch. Granted, 600m/2000 ft is a bit of overkill (I’ve been over 1000 ft down*), but it’s nice to know it won’t leak in the pool. The timing bezel is perfect for frozen pizza, and I travel enough that a GMT function is a good thing. I’ve been looking for that “one good watch”, and the C60 GMT will be it.

*USN Submarine Service, back in the dawn o’ time.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

biggus_richus wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:28 pm Respectfully disagree there...
Absolutely right to disagree, Rich. You will note that I use the phrase “for me” twice in that post. I’m aware that I’m going through a reassessment, re-evaluation and downsizing process, but everybody else can have whatever they want. :D

OP, of course you should buy which ever you like best.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JH123

Post by JH123 »

Thanks gents!