Have I “Finally” Cracked the Perfect Trio?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Have I “Finally” Cracked the Perfect Trio?

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:16 pm Bravo! :clap:
I think you have cracked the perfect trio for you. And that’s the point- no point building a trio that other people want to wear. But this is no small task and I guess it takes a long time to get there. I thought at the time that the speedy moonwatch was a bit left field for you, until you explained why it’s a perfect watch. It’s all perfect.

Some sculptor said (I have no idea where this anecdote comes from- someone will inform me!) - if you want to carve a horse from a block of marble simply look at the block and take away anything that isn’t a horse....
That’s what you’ve done- just taken away everything that isn’t an AVO watch. And that’s why what you’re left with is a perfect trio :thumbup:
What a wonderful post, Lindsey! It reminds me of the Ancient Greek aphorism “know thyself.” As regards the sculpture analogy, I’ve read a similar anecdote about Michelangelo on sculpture - he said he didn’t sculpt anything, but merely removed the excess marble to reveal the sculpture that already existed in the stone.
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am I have often thought that very specific watches are required for different activities such as playing polo, mountain walking, caving, diving, flying, motor racing, gardening/DIY.

However I have realised that the polo watch is more suited to posh dining out with wife and family.
I think I might know the polo watch in question, Neil, and I did wonder whether you actually play polo?

On similar lines, I don’t see the need when I get into an aeroplane to wear something that might have been very useful to Guy Gibson or Douglas Bader. Apart from one wonderful 45 minute jaunt in the right seat of a Cessna, all my flights have been in the passenger cabin of an airline.

Mind you, that being the case, why do I favour a Moonwatch when there is no possibility of my ever flying in space? :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm
nbg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:00 am I have often thought that very specific watches are required for different activities such as playing polo, mountain walking, caving, diving, flying, motor racing, gardening/DIY.

However I have realised that the polo watch is more suited to posh dining out with wife and family.
I think I might know the polo watch in question, Neil, and I did wonder whether you actually play polo?

On similar lines, I don’t see the need when I get into an aeroplane to wear something that might have been very useful to Guy Gibson or Douglas Bader. Apart from one wonderful 45 minute jaunt in the right seat of a Cessna, all my flights have been in the passenger cabin of an airline.

Mind you, that being the case, why do I favour a Moonwatch when there is no possibility of my ever flying in space? :lol:
Well I have a few Polo shirts and my grandfather was in the forces in India when the idea of the watch was conceived. :)

However the only items that I have hit with a mallet are tent pegs and croquet balls. :lol:

Whilst a GMT is my favourite complication on a watch, I have always found the “GMT for travelling or essential for contacting clients in other time zones” to be slightly ridiculous:
- I am on holiday. Sit on runway alter watch to new time zone. I can also add or subtract sufficient to know the time at home or elsewhere if required.
- If away on business. As above.
- If in office whilst working. Pointless as time in other key locations displayed on clocks around office, or on PC screen.
- If retired and on holiday. Who cares. :)

As to the Moonwatch - probably because it’s such a great watch. :thumbup:

Do you intend to keep yours on a strap rather than the bracelet?

I keep thinking of trying to source an older style vintage bracelet for mine as an alternative.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 pm As to the Moonwatch - probably because it’s such a great watch. :thumbup:

Do you intend to keep yours on a strap rather than the bracelet?

I keep thinking of trying to source an older style vintage bracelet for mine as an alternative.
At the moment I’m just enjoying wearing it on my lovely personalised Footycrazy strap. However, at some point I might swap it out onto the bracelet for the summer.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm As regards the sculpture analogy, I’ve read a similar anecdote about Michelangelo on sculpture - he said he didn’t sculpt anything, but merely removed the excess marble to reveal the sculpture that already existed in the stone.
:lol: you win the prize for recounting an actual quotation by an actual person! I was waffling as usual...
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Andyshall
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Andyshall »

I have come very close to buying a Cartier and a Speed Master, both are absolutely lovely and along side the Metris you do have all bases covered in a very stylish manner. Personally I cannot seem to get below 10 and I have convinced my self each is in its own category although I know I am kidding myself.