How much winding to get an auto working well?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Re: How much winding to get an auto working well?

Post by Wiggles »

Commisar wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:02 pm
Wiggles wrote:I agree with Commisar, no more than about twelve hours worth. I once ruined an automatic movement by attempting to wind it to the maximum power reserve
Oh man that's awful

What happened, did a clutch not disengage?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
It was a relatively inexpensive watch, but one I liked. It was a Parnis homage watch to a PAM. I informed the supplier in China, the supplier paid for me to return the watch, he replaced the movement and got it back to me within a month. That's service you rarely get from a UK seller
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

An interesting post. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Nice write up. Very interesting, thanks
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Very interesting research. It confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a while about my Sinn 104 (SW220) which I used to think had erratic time keeping from rest; I’ve recently started to wind it more to get it going and its time keeping seems to have improved.

Also supports what I think I knew about my North Flag. It’s nailed on at about +2 secs per week; by far the most accurate watch I’ve ever had.

I’ve got a hand wound Hamilton Khaki Field that I fully wind when I go to wear it. Again this runs at 0 spd for nearly 80 hrs and only drifts off for the last 4-5 hours of its power reserve.
Tim
Wiggles
Senior
Senior

Post by Wiggles »

timor54 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 am Very interesting research. It confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a while about my Sinn 104 (SW220) which I used to think had erratic time keeping from rest; I’ve recently started to wind it more to get it going and its time keeping seems to have improved.

Also supports what I think I knew about my North Flag. It’s nailed on at about +2 secs per week; by far the most accurate watch I’ve ever had.

I’ve got a hand wound Hamilton Khaki Field that I fully wind when I go to wear it. Again this runs at 0 spd for nearly 80 hrs and only drifts off for the last 4-5 hours of its power reserve.
From another angle, I have an orient that doesn't hand wind, yet it is accurate to within a few seconds a day
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be

The included graphs are great

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Wiggles wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:55 pm From another angle, I have an orient that doesn't hand wind, yet it is accurate to within a few seconds a day
A quietly underestimated brand. Having owned two of them I am not in the least surprised.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

timor54 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 am Very interesting research. It confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a while about my Sinn 104 (SW220) which I used to think had erratic time keeping from rest; I’ve recently started to wind it more to get it going and its time keeping seems to have improved.

I will try it with my new Sinn 104(Abe) as that runs a bit slow- there’s always a thin line between making sure it’s fully wound and the old spinning rotor problem you get from hand winding selittas
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

^^^^Possibly better to just have it regulated if it needs to run a bit faster than risk damage from overwinding?
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight