Estimated delivery time to U.S. east coast?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
jamsie

Re: Estimated delivery time to U.S. east coast?

Post by jamsie »

Same deal here, my C60 Sapphire bounced around multiple countries & DHL graciously charged me near ten percent for their superior service in fees.

The watch arrived Friday and in perfect condition to DHL’s credit.
0605CE6B-661E-43F8-8532-C9970AFCE8BA.jpeg
737D660D-C3B9-4E6A-BB3A-771C6258D582.jpeg
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attachment 'placed in line'
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

Hi. New member here, long time member on a few other forums. Got a question for US buyers. I have a C60 Trident GMT on the way, DHL is saying delivery tomorrow. I’ve bought a couple other fairly expensive watches from overseas (ex. MM300 from Seiya), and not gotten hit with Customs charges on delivery. When DHL shows up, should I be standing there with checkbook open?
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

You will be charged duty by the carrier if it is owed. They won't deliver it until duty and fees are paid. I don't know how reliable DHL tracking updates are at the moment. I would say if you don't get the delivery on the date specified don't wait to call to see what is happening. I would just explain that the delivery date was X and you didn't get the delivery. Let them give you an explanation as to why. Don't wait too long to call. If it is hung up in customs you will be charged a storage fee on top of the duty and other fees. It can add up pretty quickly. They aren't always the best at contacting you either if there is an issue. It is better to be proactive.

As far as your previous purchases, I would chalk those up to the luck of the draw. Some carriers are better at catching things than others. It can even vary from year to year. Carriers probably get audited from time to time and tighten the ship after they occur and get lax again over time. I don't have any first hand knowledge just a guess.

Fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow and hope you enjoy your new GMT! :thumbup:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
audio.bill
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by audio.bill »

Packages are assessed duty, taxes and related brokerage fees by US Customs and the shipper for watches with a declared value of $800 or more. If the DV is in that range then you are charged duty on the full value, but if below you're not supposed to be charged. I believe the duty is generally in the 5 to 8% range but can vary depending on specifics in the related paperwork like for certain types of leather straps. They actually itemize a watch to include the case, movement (automatic or quartz), and bracelet or strap and assess duty accordingly. Here's an article for reference: https://theluxurywell.com/blogs/news/customsduties
jamsie

Post by jamsie »

I would stay on top of DHL, I was sent a web link to pay custom fees the night before delivery the next day.
Henryj
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Henryj »

jamsie wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:35 pm I would stay on top of DHL, I was sent a web link to pay custom fees the night before delivery the next day.
Yup, that’s just how it went for me. Paid the fees (98.22, eek!), and it was delivered yesterday evening. First impression, it’s amazing for the price. At about 14 hours in, I can’t even call it the honeymoon phase yet, but I’m pretty sure this is my one “good” watch keeper. Here’s an odd thought, in feel on the wrist it reminds me a bit of a 42mm Planet Ocean, the earlier 2500 movement series. Hard to describe exactly how, but it feels on the wrist like the PO I owned years back. If you’re on the fence about the 42mm C60 Trident GMT, try to find a 42mm PO to test wear, that’ll tell you if the 42 C60 is for you.
The gods may note every sparrow that falls, but they make no effort to catch them.
Cohominous

Post by Cohominous »

I ordered a C60 Trident this weekend and got a DHL tracking number yesterday with a note saying my order had been “despatched.” :) I paid $770 after a $125 discount code so maybe I’ll avoid customs complications. I’ll post the updates and final delivery date so future visitors to the post can have another data point.
shores11
Junior
Junior

Post by shores11 »

Mine is being delivered today after ordering on Thursday 5/14. I find it's usually 3-5 days depending on when you order. Watch out for the customs fees, if applicable. DHL should email you the night before delivery. Enjoy your new watch!