Spinning rotor syndrome

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Spinning rotor syndrome

Post by rkovars »

Commisar wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:33 am While seemingly common, I doubt that even 15% of ETAs/Sellita movements have this issue

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Even at 10% that would be an extremely high failure rate. When manufacturing 10s of 1000s you would be nervous at 1%. This is all speculation without any hard data.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

ondris wrote:Funny as I was about to open a thread, as today when picking up the watch to wind It, I noticed that the rotor started spinning like crazy when manually winding.

Is this the syndrome you are talking about?

I sent an email to CW for the issue.

Edit: Customer service just replied, telling me that this should not cause an issue to the watch and I can still wear It.
For the time being they do not accept any watches for repair.
Correct, I emailed CW and they gave me a number and logged the issue. Not taking anything in but they'll make a note of it so you can send it in asap once business reopens.

It won't kill the watch, but it does cause unecessary stresses on the movement.

Automatic winding works just fine and the fix is either a reapplication of lubrication or a small component swap.

Oris has the EXACT same issue Image

A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

My C60 MK3 owned for less than a year seemed to have this issue a month or so ago. It span like crazy as I manually wound the watch and it hadn't ever done this before.

I let it power down and then over the course of wearing it again on a few occasions, winding around 8 times only to get it going (as read somewhere on here before) it appears to have corrected itself and the issue has gone away.

As I hardly wear it due to having other watches, I wound it a lot each time I put it on to get some power into it knowing that I was only going to wear it for a fairly short period thinking that then the reserve would last until next time I picked it up. The manual recommended to wind it approximately 20 times.

Whether it is a sign of a different problem, I don't know. But now as it is ok, I didn't send it to CW. With some luck anyone who experiences this unexpectedly might be find that it gets better before there is a chance to send it back for repair.
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

A1soknownas wrote:My C60 MK3 owned for less than a year seemed to have this issue a month or so ago. It span like crazy as I manually wound the watch and it hadn't ever done this before.

I let it power down and then over the course of wearing it again on a few occasions, winding around 8 times only to get it going (as read somewhere on here before) it appears to have corrected itself and the issue has gone away.

As I hardly wear it due to having other watches, I wound it a lot each time I put it on to get some power into it knowing that I was only going to wear it for a fairly short period thinking that then the reserve would last until next time I picked it up. The manual recommended to wind it approximately 20 times.

Whether it is a sign of a different problem, I don't know. But now as it is ok, I didn't send it to CW. With some luck anyone who experiences this unexpectedly might be find that it gets better before there is a chance to send it back for repair.
Yep, this can also happen

A local watchmaker mentioned to me that giving the crown a bit more of an aggressive turn while winding can actually bypass the issue. The harder you turn it, the more force you are giving the clutches to disengage, or something to that effect. It seems that any ETA 2824/SW-200 based movement can have this issue. It isn't a watch killer unless you CONSTANTLY hand winding it and get the rotor spinning like crazy as that might prematurely wear out some bearings.

ondris

Post by ondris »

Commisar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:00 pm
A1soknownas wrote:My C60 MK3 owned for less than a year seemed to have this issue a month or so ago. It span like crazy as I manually wound the watch and it hadn't ever done this before.

A local watchmaker mentioned to me that giving the crown a bit more of an aggressive turn while winding can actually bypass the issue. The harder you turn it, the more force you are giving the clutches to disengage, or something to that effect. It seems that any ETA 2824/SW-200 based movement can have this issue. It isn't a watch killer unless you CONSTANTLY hand winding it and get the rotor spinning like crazy as that might prematurely wear out some bearings.

This is what I did, I gave an "aggressive" turn and the rotor somehow disengaged.

Back to normal for now.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I had the issue with my first CW (mk3 40mm) that I bought in June 2019 when they were quite new.

I sent it back under warranty and CW swapped it Immediately for a new one (i also mentioned the bezel didn’t feel right and asked for a new watch rather than a repair). The new one has been fine and with hindsight I probably had manually wound all of my watches a bit too much in the past, as I often alternate between a few different watches a day and don’t like them running down if they have a date complication.

(...I’m solving this personal issue by adding an explorer to compliment my speedy and slowly getting rid of most of my date watches)
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

ondris wrote:
Commisar wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:00 pm

This is what I did, I gave an "aggressive" turn and the rotor somehow disengaged.

Back to normal for now.
Awesome Image Nothing like a little "redneck engineering" to get some Swiss engineering shipshape Image

Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Count me as another with the problem. Bought NN in February and about a month ago the issue began.

Mine sticks very badly and spins wildly when wound. Whatever is causing the issue also seems to affect the power reserve as well as accuracy as the PR wears down. It loses 20-25spd and more if not hand wound daily and the PR only lasts about 20 hours. Fully wound by hand it lasts 40 hours and keeps a consistent -3spd. I have contacted them and am not sure if I'll get a replacement or need to wait until they reopen to get it fixed. Disappointing for sure, but otherwise I love this watch.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
ondris

Post by ondris »

I am quite surprised to have these kind of issues on "this kind" of watches.

Befor my C60 I only bought Orients, Seikos and other sub 400€ watches, but never had movement issues.

Is it normal for a 1000€ watch?
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

ondris wrote:I am quite surprised to have these kind of issues on "this kind" of watches.

Befor my C60 I only bought Orients, Seikos and other sub 400€ watches, but never had movement issues.

It's the movement

ETA 2824/SW-200 can have it

Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

With as prevalent as this appears to be with CW lately, I am wondering if there was a bad batch of movements perhaps, or maybe some fault in their assembly process that did not lubricate these movements enough?

I had this issue with a cheap(ish) Hamilton a while back, but it was because dirt and foreign substance had made their way inside via the crown/crown stem.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Rice & Gravy wrote:With as prevalent as this appears to be with CW lately, I am wondering if there was a bad batch of movements perhaps, or maybe some fault in their assembly process that did not lubricate these movements enough?

I had this issue with a cheap(ish) Hamilton a while back, but it was because dirt and foreign substance had made their way inside via the crown/crown stem.
Bad movement batches are a very real thing. It's entirely possible.

abeardsley2020
Senior
Senior

Post by abeardsley2020 »

I have purchase the trident c65 and I am getting the same issue. Been in touch with them I am asking for an exchange I don't want another of the same model personal choice lol. I cannot see it being an issue.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

Commisar wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:56 pm
ondris wrote:I am quite surprised to have these kind of issues on "this kind" of watches.

It's the movement

ETA 2824/SW-200 can have it

My C9 with the SH21 movement had this issue too.
Heres a link to the video of it in action.

Regards Steve
https://youtu.be/eXJi8F5nMxY
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39