Do you replace the strap before wearing a new watch?

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Do you replace the strap before wearing a new watch?

Post by Leon O »

Do you replace the strap on a new watch before wearing it?

Is it worth the effort and cost to keep the original strap in unworn condition in the event you don't "bond" with the watch and want to return or flip it?
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Do you replace the strap before wearing a new watch?

Post by gaf1958 »

Most of the time I replace it (unless of course it’s on a bracelet). I figure I can pick a strap from the two or three hundred I have sitting around that will suit my taste better than the manufacturer’s “mass market” selection. This of course leaves the original strap unworn by default in the case that I later sell the watch.

On the occasional times the manufacturer get the strap just right for my preferences (or the watch is available on a choice of straps, one of which suits nicely), I simply wear it and don’t really worry about it. If I sell it later, then the strap is probably only slightly used in most cases, simply due to the low wear rate in my collection (I can’t recall the last strap that ever wore out on me). I don’t see any advantage in buying a new strap in that case.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I've thought about it in the past, but likewise if I like the strap/watch as it comes from the maker (which is typical as that is why I bought it) I just wear it. I don't flip so if I really felt it necessary to sell I would reckon on replacing the original strap with another OEM or something high class like a Hirsch.

What is important is to keep OEM hardware in good shape.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

gaf1958 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:09 pm When the manufacturer gets the strap just right for my preferences (or the watch is available on a choice of straps, one of which suits nicely), I simply wear it and don’t really worry about it. If I sell it later, then the strap is probably only slightly used in most cases, simply due to the low wear rate in my collection (I can’t recall the last strap that ever wore out on me). I don’t see any advantage in buying a new strap in that case.
Spot on Gary! Plus for me it’s a fitment issue as I have larger wrists and on most standard straps I’m in the last two holes. So I typically put the OEM strap into the manufacture box and do my own thing with straps.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

gaf1958 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:09 pm Most of the time I replace it (unless of course it’s on a bracelet). I figure I can pick a strap from the two or three hundred I have sitting around that will suit my taste better than the manufacturer’s “mass market” selection. This of course leaves the original strap unworn by default in the case that I later sell the watch.

On the occasional times the manufacturer get the strap just right for my preferences (or the watch is available on a choice of straps, one of which suits nicely), I simply wear it and don’t really worry about it. If I sell it later, then the strap is probably only slightly used in most cases, simply due to the low wear rate in my collection (I can’t recall the last strap that ever wore out on me). I don’t see any advantage in buying a new strap in that case.
I do this too :thumbup:
…and, boy! do I have a collection of straps #-o
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Only if I don’t like it. The strap, that is.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I almost always swap a strap on new watches.
I usually try to buy a new watch in a bracelet, if that option is available. I rarely wear bracelets, but I like to have the option (usually wear them for more smart occasions or swimming) and it is almost always more cost effective to buy the bracelet with the watch rather than try to buy one separately in the future.
Once I get the watch in the first thing I do is swap off the bracelet. I then match the watch to a few leather/NATO straps in my hoard and find some that have the looks, comfort and fit I want from the watch. Sometimes I order a custom one of the watch has a particular look or function that I want the strap to match. I then resize the bracelet (carefully keeping all the spare links and pins/screws) and put it to one side, just in case.
In fact, when my Dartmouth arrived a few months back I missed the delivery. When I turned up at the PO depot the next day to pick it up I had a handful of possible strap options with me in my pocket. The bracelet was swapped out and a leather strap fitted in the car so I could wear it on the drive home. The new quick-release bracelets are a joy!

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

Usually not, normally I use original strap.
WWIAFTM

Post by WWIAFTM »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:01 am Only if I don’t like it. The strap, that is.
Same :thumbup: