Which way to go for the big 5-0?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Which way to go for the big 5-0?

Post by Macdaz »

I know the ultimate, logical response to my question will be - buy the one you like the most. I also know there will be as many answers as there are people who are kind enough to provide one. But I'm sat inside, looking at the world doing whatever it is doing without me, and looking at watches, so I thought I'd try and prompt a new conversation.

In about six weeks I have a landmark Birthday. The weekend away and holiday plans have understandably gone by the wayside, I may not even be able to get out for a pint. But I can buy a watch!

You will all understand that I've been thinking about this for some time. I want something special and different to the watches I already have. So something unusual or maybe a limited edition. My current top three ideas:

1) The special "nobody has done this since the sixties cushion case" thing mentioned at the Bristol GTG, which Chris said would arrive around May. - This may now be delayed and I may not like it when it's revealed.

2) A Bronze Trident. I have no bronze in my collection and I like the idea of getting something that will age with me. - It would need to be brand new, raw and 43mm - But it seems to have disappeared from the website and I keep missing them in the NN or Half Price sales.

3) Farer Hopewell II - Unusual in the sense that I already have 7 CWs, I like the look and colour as it is unusual for me, but at 39mm may be a bit small and knowing what I can get from CW, especially in a sale or with a voucher, a little overpriced.

So I need something else to think about. Budget I think will top out at £1k.

Any ideas, musings or suggestions much appreciated.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
BJH
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 18

Re: Which way to go for the big 5-0?

Post by BJH »

Not quite Bronze or 43mm or 39mm but somewhere in between everything you are looking for. I see you have a 65 already but not sure which one.
In my humble opinion, I think this is a very grown up watch for a gentleman of a certain age!
c65-41h3h1-sbkk1-hk_3d-new-releases.jpg
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

What about something from Oris?

Continuing with the blue theme ...

Oris ProPilot 41mm. What makes this one a bit different compared to others is the knurled bezel. Just fab!

Oris Big Crown Pointer Date 40mm. Again, lovely coin bezel, and the dial and cathedral hands make it pretty unique looking.

Both of these also available in a variety of other colours and the ProPilot also comes as a day/date.

Both models available under budget with an AD discount :thumbup:
Ryan
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Thanks both. I like the C65 but probably more as something nice for somebody else. I can appreciate it, but it's not my style. I don't think I'd wear it as I'm not a massive fan of rose or yellow gold. It's also a bit similar to my c65 (Pepsi GMT - BTW)

The Oris big crown pointer date, on the other hand, I love but had previously discounted due to cost. If you think I can get it within budget, I need to do some more exploring!

Thanks again chaps :thumbup:
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

The Oris BCPD is £1250 RRP. I'd be surprised if you had issues getting at least 20% off that.
Ryan
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Yes... just been looking. I've never negotiated a discount at an AD so that's a new concept for me. Good old Tesco vouchers at Goldsmiths may help too, but probably not as well!
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

The new ProPilot is a significant step up compared to the old one too, with the deep blue sunburst dial and much nicer applied lume numerals.

Of the watches you'd picked out, the Farer is a bit different and certainly worthy of marking the occasion!
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

OK, a suggestion from left field...a Steiny Ocean 39 Vintage GMT, Hong Kong Limited Edition(standard edition if the LE is sold out)..
Steinhart Ocean 39 Vintage GMT HK Edition (53of100)(2).JPG
https://kronostime.com.hk/product/ocean ... -red-hkle/
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:46 pm The Oris BCPD is £1250 RRP. I'd be surprised if you had issues getting at least 20% off that.
Once we escape lockdown, I would imagine an Oris AD would be very amenable to that conversation.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

I think that might be a conversation I will be having. (I have also received authorisation from the FD to accommodate this purchase as she actually liked it, which is a real step up from "It looks like all your other ones" Which is the usual response!

Thanks for the suggestion Thunder, I do like a Steiny, I have a couple but I actually prefer my OVM over this model, it's a bit too similar to the watches I already have.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Without too much effort, here's the watch available from FirstClassWatches (never bought from there myself).

https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/ori ... 3-p-49049/

Currently retailing for £1150 on there, but down to £1035 with promo code "GET10".
It looks like they've extended their returns to 60-days as well due to the current situation, although it says the watch will be ready to ship in 20-30 days.

There may be other online retailers willing to match their price.

Also, Oris now offer a 3-year warranty as well when registering the watch via the MyOris website :thumbup:
Ryan
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

Thanks I’d found them too and a place called watch source. Don’t know much about either but both under careful consideration!
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Macdaz wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 pm Thanks I’d found them too and a place called watch source. Don’t know much about either but both under careful consideration!
IIRC, Watchsource is a grey market dealer and won't come with the Oris warranty.
I think they provide their own.
Ryan
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Crikey, 50 is very old. I guess it has to be something with very big numbers to make it easy to see :lol: :lol:
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Big *well lumed* numbers :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex