Bezel trident c60 mk3

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
matt_98125

Bezel trident c60 mk3

Post by matt_98125 »

New member here. Just took possession of a trident pro c60 mk3 in 40mm. Black.

I have searched this forum and elsewhere with respect to the bezel. I have found some info but thought I'd post.

The bezel feels and sounds great when rotating it but there seems to be a lot of rotational play. Also the bezel can be pressed down from the face side and it feels like it is suspended as letting up the pressure the bezel returns to its previous position.

My only real comp is an orient mako 2, which is inexpensive with a stiffer bezel but that thing feels like its bolted on.

Is this the norm? Is this purpose built or is this a less than durable design? I apologize if this subject is redundant I'm just trying to make an informed decision regarding a potential return.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: Bezel trident c60 mk3

Post by A1soknownas »

Hi Matt,

I am not quite sure exactly what the issue is from your description but I was sceptical about the bezel on mine which I bought when the model was newly released. It was discussed at length here if you would like to read through -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52295#p778058

Another buyer more recently when comparing the 38 vs 40mm mentioned how they found their bezel on each and identified some more movement on the 40mm. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53638&start=30 (3rd post on page 3).

Like all watches there will be a tolerance within the bezel and some will be different to others in terms of ease to turn, back play whilst rotating or wobble in the whole bezel away from the crystal. Obviously we would all expect that whatever the tolerance parameters, the standards should be high.

I kept mine and I don't worry about it. I've had an Orient Ray II previously and the bezel mechanism I suspect is different as it is so stiff and nowhere near as good as the CW even with the additional movement. Some bezels on other watches do spring a little in order to help dislodge anything stuck underneath and is part of the design. Mine has not increased in movement in any way during the 9 months I've had it so I wouldn't fear yours getting worse. I haven't been diving or anything but I've used it to time activities, so it has been used fairly often.

Yours is just how it is and how it will be for a long time - It is up to you whether you are happy and would like to keep it. CW will probably unlikely repair it as it would have passed QC to be sent out so if you could always return and re-buy if you are unhappy.

Good luck :thumbup:
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

matt_98125 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:12 pm New member here. Just took possession of a trident pro c60 mk3 in 40mm. Black.

I have searched this forum and elsewhere with respect to the bezel. I have found some info but thought I'd post.

The bezel feels and sounds great when rotating it but there seems to be a lot of rotational play. Also the bezel can be pressed down from the face side and it feels like it is suspended as letting up the pressure the bezel returns to its previous position.

My only real comp is an orient mako 2, which is inexpensive with a stiffer bezel but that thing feels like its bolted on.

Is this the norm? Is this purpose built or is this a less than durable design? I apologize if this subject is redundant I'm just trying to make an informed decision regarding a potential return.
I wonder, did you keep your new watch or return it?
Part of me is hoping that you kept it.
I bought the same model, some time ago within 24 hours of it being launched. Its Bezel had the same features and feelings that you described. However, I agree with the comments from the previous posting.

These models are really top notch quality for such little cash compared to alternative makes of luxury watches.

Soon after purchasing the black dial and bezel, 40mm version, I bought the blue version. Bezel action was slightly different with slightly less play (in all aspects), and a smoother less “clicky” action.

After that I bought the larger 42mm size with red bezel. Of the three Mark 3 models, the 42mm size has bezel action and feeling that for me hits the hot spot, the best I have experienced.

All three are great purchases and make me smile every time I switch to wearing them.
Regards
Craig
matt_98125

Post by matt_98125 »

Thanks for sharing your experience guys. Craig, I am in the process of returning it. The rep I'm in communication with said they will take a look and let me know if a replacement would resolve the issue. If they say it is fine, I will then opt for a refund. I'm glad you guys are happy with your products. To me, and my budget, it is a great piece and i love everything about it. But I also feel like something like a bezel should be fairly uniform and consistent. My fingers are crossed and hoping for a repair or proper replacement, though doesn't seem likely. In addition an explanation why it does it or what the design is might help but mine is just sloppy while I have seen others say their's is rock solid. It is just disappointing to me.
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

Hi Matt
Thank you for updating us.
I think you have made the right decision from what you said, as the disappointment you mentioned would otherwise linger, spoiling the experience.
Regards
Craig
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

The exact same thing can happen on a $5000 Omega

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/commen ... bly_bezel/

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Zax
Junior
Junior

Post by Zax »

I know this is older, but I had the same thought. There is some backplay on mine, but it allows me to properly align the marker at 12 so I have no fuss hah