Help w/strap selection

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Help w/strap selection

Post by heffergm »

So... my preference is for leather straps. I've been wearing my black C60 Mk3 on a black Barton silicone strap, and it's very good, but it's way too casual for what to me looks like a very dress-diver piece. I'd really like a high quality lined leather strap, 20mm taper to 18mm.

While I generally prefer brown, the whole black watch/brown strap thing looks a little weird to me. If you want to convince me otherwise, by all means, post pics. And if you have specific suggestions on a strap, fire away! The more pics the better, I'm looking for ideas, and I'm curious what anyone else with a black C60 has gone with for a leather strap.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Re: Help w/strap selection

Post by Jcalder68 »

Black watch, brown strap? Not an issue in my books :-)

The trick is to either hit a deep, chocolate brown, or a very light, creamy brown. Deeper tones blend in together and give a more subtle, understated look; lighter tones contrast and make both colours pop for a more casual look. The extremes of the colour range work better, in my eyes at least.

C60 MK3 40mm on a deep, chocolate brown strap. This strap is a bit special though - custom made from some leather that was salvaged from a Swiss military satchel dated 1969. The leather has a gorgeous patina and feel and can be a great conversation piece
495126AB-6AA4-44AA-B05E-5833C93DDA4A.jpeg
And in the other end of the spectrum, my C65 GMT with its creamy, beige brown strap. Yes, it’s another custom piece but I adore the way it matches the patina lume of the watch dial. I’m half considering unpicking the stitching and swapping it for black thread but I’ve not got that brave yet...
C4567CCA-0ED3-4729-91CB-AB68552F5F98.jpeg
Hope this helps,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

The Hirsch James is a great strap if you want to dress it up a bit.
Colour is a warm, rich tan leather with black rubber lining. It's also available in dark brown and black.
It's also completely waterproof which makes sense on a dive watch ...

Ryan
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit »

I think wearing a brown strap/black watch is all about having some contrast, which can look good if tastefully done. Providing some "color" that is relatively neutral and natural compared to the almost monochromatic or sterile look of a black dial + black leather or black dial + steel bracelet.

Much like having a brown dress shoe with a black sole, or wearing different color trousers and shoes. Of course the social situation and your personality factors into whether you will like some color combinations or not. If you are the kind of person who likes wearing brown shoes or a brown belt, then surely you would like to have a brown watch strap. :D
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

My C60 day/date on a brown Hirsch strap.

Trying not to buy any more watches...
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

I'm with the OP on this one.

The black/black C60 Trident Mk2 is a dressy diver and I had mine on a CW black strap with Bader deployant from new (2015) to Feb 2019. I think it was a leather with embossed alligator pattern.

IMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

I think we probably need to establish whether you're going to get the watch wet :shock:

If so, you'll need a waterproof leather strap which will limit your options. The Hirsch performance range almost certainly has you covered, but some are quite expensive if you opt for the genuine exotic skins.

If you insist that your C60 will never touch a drop of water, the world is your lobster.

I think most, if not all people agree that the MK2 C60 is a classy looking watch, but it's a reasonably high spec'd diver nonetheless and I like to think it can still be utilised for it's intended purpose.
Ryan
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

I have no issue getting the watch wet, but I wouldn't be doing it with a leather strap. There's a reason you can change them...

I still think the black/brown combo is just off. I think you can get away with the deep chocolate brown strap, but otherwise it feels akin to wearing a brown belt with black shoes.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Black strap with white stitching to capture the baton colour would give it a more casual look IMO (versus black, with black stitching which gives it a formal appearance). My $0.02
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Maybe a light shade of brown, bordering beige? CW once sold the strap below, but I can't remember what it was called.

Tudor also supplies there BB36 with a similar colour strap ...

And I've had a "beige" Kudu leather strap on a black watch ...

Ryan
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by Leon O »

Most of the black dialed watches I've seen look attractive on the vintage oak camel straps. It's definitely a casual look, but dressier than a silicone or hybrid strap.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Craig64
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Craig64 »

My 40mm Black dial Mk3 Tridents sits on an inexpensive black calf leather strap (Tapers from 20mm down to 18mm).
The two key aspects of this strap that appeals to me are:
1) The contrasting white stitching I think works well with this particular watch.
2) The leather is exceptionally flexible, making for a very confortable fit.
Attachments
BlkTrident1.jpeg
BlkTrident2.jpeg
Regards
Craig
heffergm
Junior
Junior

Post by heffergm »

StrappedUp wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:25 pm Maybe a light shade of brown, bordering beige? CW once sold the strap below, but I can't remember what it was called.

Tudor also supplies there BB36 with a similar colour strap ...
Yeah, good examples. It seems it can work... I think I'll have to try a few things out in person.
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit »

heffergm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:11 pm I have no issue getting the watch wet, but I wouldn't be doing it with a leather strap. There's a reason you can change them...

I still think the black/brown combo is just off. I think you can get away with the deep chocolate brown strap, but otherwise it feels akin to wearing a brown belt with black shoes.
Your opinion about what is a tasteful watch strap is valid, but I think the comparison of brown belt with black shoes misses the mark. I have heard similar comments from other people...some who even suggest that the watch strap should match the belt.

IMO the reasoning behind why the shoes should match the belt is mostly about the "far view" of a person, meaning when someone first comes into your field of view, such as seeing someone approaching at 50+ feet away, the belt and shoes frame the person's lower torso and can be very noticeable if they are a lot different. It would be like hanging a picture on the wall with the top and bottom of the frame in different colors, drawing attention to the frame rather than the picture contained within. At a far personal distance no one can see the watch, so its colors are irrelevant until coming much closer. At the "near view" of a person where the watch becomes noticeable the interpersonal interactions take over and are much more important, meaning people are looking each other in the eye, following hand movements, etc. The colors of their overall dress are noticeable but it is not like one person is staring at the other persons shoes, slacks, belt, etc, as they are mostly out of the mind's and eye's focus in the interpersonal interaction. I doubt others (unless they are into watches) are even taking notice of the watch if it is not flashy in some way.

In my opinion black and white are neutral colors that can go with about anything, especially earth tones and skin tones. But then again, I still sometimes wear regimental NATO/Zulu straps. :lol:
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Quickly popped my Kudu strap onto the C60 this morning to give an idea.

Works much better than the tan Hirsch imo and is very similar to the CW strap I posted.

Ryan