Am I too Harsh in My Expectations of a Quartz Watch

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Am I too Harsh in My Expectations of a Quartz Watch

Post by Leon O »

Am I being too harsh in my expectations for my C7 Rapide Quartz? I expect the second hand of a fine quartz watch to move precisely in 1 second steps that land exactly on the minute markers.

I just received my C7 back from repair for making occasional 1.5 second jumps and landing in-between markers for 10-15 seconds before catching up. My most worn watch (Citizen) is just ideal in landing on the minute markers. So... I spent much of the afternoon watching the second hands of my other Citizen eco-drives go around their dials. They were not ideal and occasionally skipped. Two other watches with Swiss movements seemed more obvious when they skipped than the Citizens. The skipping seems most obvious on the C7 Rapide.

I think a factor might be that the Rapide has a red second hand that actually reaches the minute markers. On my other quartz watches the tips of the hands or too short to touch the markers so the skipping and in-between marker steps are not as obvious.

Are my expectations unrealistically high for the least expensive model in the CW line-up?

Thanks,

Leon
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Re: Am I too Harsh in My Expectations of a Quartz Watch

Post by Commisar »

I'd say so

I have a $80 quartz Citizen eco drive that's dead on the markers each second. I have a $80 Seiko that isn't. My other Eco drive citizen misses maybe 4 out of 60 and it's a really small miss. My Timex Q quartz misses maybe 12 out of 60 (Seiko movement)

I'd say that most sub $1k quartz watches have the potential to miss markers. In fact z the highest end Seiko (Grand Seiko) and citizen quarts watches make it a point to have seconds hands that never miss a marker.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Commisar wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 am I'd say so

I have a $80 quartz Citizen eco drive that's dead on the markers each second. I have a $80 Seiko that isn't. My other Eco drive citizen misses maybe 4 out of 60 and it's a really small miss. My Timex Q quartz misses maybe 12 out of 60 (Seiko movement)

I'd say that most sub $1k quartz watches have the potential to miss markers.
Thanks for the fresh perspective. It just missed about 14 out of 60. I really like the design, so I'm going wear it tomorrow to see how I feel once I put some miles on it.
C7 Rapide Quartz, C60 Pro 300 Chronograph Quartz, C3 Malvern Chronograph, C7 Rapide Chronograph Quartz, C65 AM GT LE, C7 Rapide Chrongraph LE, C65 Trident Diver HW, C5 Malvern 595, C65 Trident GMT Pepsi
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Leon O wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:02 am Thanks for the fresh perspective. It just missed about 14 out of 60. I really like the design, so I'm going wear it tomorrow to see how I feel once I put some miles on it.
Unfortunately, it's the reality of all but the best quartz watches, unless you really luck out. Having said that, once you start wearing it, you won't be focusing on the second hand hitting the markers, and while the issue won't go away, it will fade into the background. On the wrist I find that I see the watch as a whole, rather than focusing on any one specific part of the watch.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think it’s one of those “Within Tolerances” things, rather like the allowable drift of a mechanical movement.

My own quartz watches these days tend to be chronographs, so it’s not really an issue. And if I do use the chronograph to time something, it’s not usually anything too precise anyway. Once I have set the watch, then the running seconds subdial to me is only an indicator that the watch is actually working.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

Leon O wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:38 am So... I spent much of the afternoon watching the second hands of my other Citizen eco-drives go around their dials....

Never mind the accuracy of quartz watches, you need some more interests :lol:

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:18 am My own quartz watches these days tend to be chronographs, so it’s not really an issue. And if I do use the chronograph to time something, it’s not usually anything too precise anyway. Once I have set the watch, then the running seconds subdial to me is only an indicator that the watch is actually working.
The two CW watches arriving today happen to be chronographs :D
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Even a £3000+ Omega Seamaster quartz doesn't hit the markers.

If you want a guaranteed 'hit' the Grand Seiko 9F movement is engineered to ensure it hits the markers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Is the inconsistency of hitting and missing the marks related to the particular movement or the way the hands are set?
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

Leon O wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:13 pm Is the inconsistency of hitting and missing the marks related to the particular movement or the way the hands are set?
It's due to the backlash, or 'bounce' of the second hand. The 9F gets around this wth a little spring on the seconds wheel that keeps the hand accurate after the 'tick'.

Here's an interesting read on the 9F:

https://watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/explai ... xists.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
Leon O
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Leon O »

Thank you for the link. It was a good read.