Christopher Ward Watch Praise

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Christopher Ward Watch Praise

Post by Viognier »

This past weekend I hosted a "Watch Talk Live" event for five of my watch obsessed friends to share their watch collections, mow down some Chicken Wings and enjoy some of Alberta's Outstanding Craft Beer....Bottom-line: A Watch Geeks get together.

Christopher Ward showed extremely well!

Commented by one friend (who's collection included Eterna, Rolex, Zenith and Omega) after examining a C60 Mk3 up close on the quick release bracelet and Cordura Hybrid strap remarked " Why would you spend more money than the $1,185 CDN that gets you a C60 Mk3.....this watch and especially the fit and finish is absolutely outstanding!".

We all commented on how brilliant the QR Bracelet is and how Christopher Ward took a leadership role with it's development.

My point is, all of us on the forum know the phenomenal quality that CW watches are (especially for the dollar outlay) but its fantastic to hear it from watch obsessed outsiders unfamiliar with the brand and the watches!!

Introspectively, it does have me thinking that perhaps I've been taking for granted the quality of CW watches and should consider moving out a couple of my other pieces and retrench back to only a few select pieces....with strong influence from Christopher Ward.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Theo_s
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Re: Christopher Ward Watch Praise

Post by Theo_s »

Agreed. I got mine today, I'm over the moon with it.
Current collection : CW C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm Black/Burgundy, Graf Zeppelin LZ129 Moonphase 36mm, Timex Marlin reissue 34mm
Incoming piece : -
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

That sounds like a very pleasant way to spend some time with like minded friends, Lance.

I totally agree of course that there are some gems to be found amongst the CW collection which give excellent value for money.

I honestly wish that I was attracted to more of their current designs.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Im not trying to pee on the parade but if it is so amazing why is it not getting recognised as such in the industry?
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

https://www.gphg.org/horlogerie/en/watc ... elite-1000

Iirc the C7 Apex was also shortlisted for a GPHG award.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Sorry, meant more specifically the QR bracelet. I do also think that CW are not highly praised in the general watch world (excluding the CW favs and ones they give freebies to or paid to say nice things) Im not saying that they are not good but if they are as good as some think/say then surely they would be gaining recognition as such but to my eye they are still just another watch brand in that £500-£1500 space.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

golfjunky wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 am Sorry, meant more specifically the QR bracelet. I do also think that CW are not highly praised in the general watch world (excluding the CW favs and ones they give freebies to or paid to say nice things) Im not saying that they are not good but if they are as good as some think/say then surely they would be gaining recognition as such but to my eye they are still just another watch brand in that £500-£1500 space.
That's a pretty bizarre statement imo. How would you measure "highly praised" and "gaining recognition"?

The watch market is well established and mature in most countries, and full of brands with high marketing spend and high street presence. What sort of market penetration should CW (or any other young brand) expect in order to be "highly praised / recognised"?

Or perhaps you are measuring the level of praise and recognition in another way?
Richard
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

When things like 'Phenomenal quality' are mentioned and people owning Rolex, Zenith etc saying 'why would anyone want anything more' (is he going to sell everything then and buy a CW? NO.) it gets my back up as everything has +/-'s but to be blindly fanboying just doesn't sit right with me.
IMO they have become better in many ways but are still flat lining in the microbrand space. Maybe its rose tinted specs on CW of old but as other have mentioned the prices are starting to play with the big boys and there is no big article/media outlet that i have seen that gives any traction to them being able to play with the big boys. The GPHG nomination is great but so niche that 99.999% of potential buyers will never see that. I also see the flip side that to be taken more seriously the prices have to increase as quality is also measured by price (rightly or wrongly)
Im happy to stand corrected on the QR bracelet being amazing but i have not seen anything about it outside of the forum and CW fanboy journo's.

To answer the market penetration question, surely featuring in Hodinkee would be a start, they have not featured for over 3 1/2yrs on that site. Im not saying they are the be all and end all but have a huge reach and respect in the commnunity.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ Greg I was really pleased with the visual quality and timekeeping of the C65 Dartmouth that I purchased, thanks to your heads up to me, at the end of January.

Hopefully it will be fine when it makes it’s way back to me from CW, preferably without the bad case of spinning rotor syndrome that was evident at the outset. :problem:

As a long term owner of many CW watches bought over the past 6 years, I just view them as another brand competing for my money at a given price point. When they get it spot on, they are good watches, but nothing special deserving of hyperbole.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

^^^Agreed^^^
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:06 am https://www.gphg.org/horlogerie/en/watc ... elite-1000

Iirc the C7 Apex was also shortlisted for a GPHG award.
The truth of GPHG is a little more prosaic. Watches entered into GPHG are proposed by their manufacturer and not picked by a nominating committee. It remains an interesting award but getting on the list for consideration is a lot more prosaic. I'm sure having the C7 on the GPHG list raised CW's profile but just getting into the competition isn't the achievement we would like to think it is.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

To Viognier, sounds like a nice evening was had with friends (knowledgeable fellow watch geeks) who admired the quality of your CWs especially in relation to price. You pass on this feedback in a friendly conversational way as a point of interest to other CW owners, thank you. Everyone likes the feel-good of fellow enthusiasts appreciating a brand you/we own.

To some of the posts, theres nothing in the original post to argue with really, its just good feedback, their opinion is their opinion.. Its not a definitive statement of fact, a detailed market analysis or scientific study, just a sharing of good feedback from these guys comparing with other watches they own.
Its super easy, if your opinion differs and you personally are not impressed with the quality, brand, relative value, design or direction compared to other brands.. dont buy one (or any more), spend your money elsewhere job done!

I own a few CWs, personal opinion is generally impressed otherwise I wouldn't own them. I also own many more watches of other brands +/- the CW price point.. I will often extoll CW positives in conversation with fellow enthusiasts, that doesn't make me a blind 'CW fanboy'.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

Viognier wrote:This past weekend I hosted a "Watch Talk Live" event for five of my watch obsessed friends to share their watch collections, mow down some Chicken Wings and enjoy some of Alberta's Outstanding Craft Beer....Bottom-line: A Watch Geeks get together.

Christopher Ward showed extremely well!

Commented by one friend (who's collection included Eterna, Rolex, Zenith and Omega) after examining a C60 Mk3 up close on the quick release bracelet and Cordura Hybrid strap remarked " Why would you spend more money than the $1,185 CDN that gets you a C60 Mk3.....this watch and especially the fit and finish is absolutely outstanding!".

We all commented on how brilliant the QR Bracelet is and how Christopher Ward took a leadership role with it's development.

My point is, all of us on the forum know the phenomenal quality that CW watches are (especially for the dollar outlay) but its fantastic to hear it from watch obsessed outsiders unfamiliar with the brand and the watches!!

Introspectively, it does have me thinking that perhaps I've been taking for granted the quality of CW watches and should consider moving out a couple of my other pieces and retrench back to only a few select pieces....with strong influence from Christopher Ward.
Agreed

It's simply the best value in a sub $1000 dive watch on the market.

Which is why I'm getting oneImage

The SWATCH group kinda comes close, as does Longines, but SWATCH has sometimes spotty QC and their movements are mostly 21600 bph now (powermatic 80) and are usually pretty large (42+ mm)

Longines has a higher MSRP and a worse bracelet and a rather MEH dial.

All others cost a LOT more or you're paying for a brand name for less quality/features

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Commisar
Senior
Senior

Post by Commisar »

golfjunky wrote:Sorry, meant more specifically the QR bracelet. I do also think that CW are not highly praised in the general watch world (excluding the CW favs and ones they give freebies to or paid to say nice things) Im not saying that they are not good but if they are as good as some think/say then surely they would be gaining recognition as such but to my eye they are still just another watch brand in that £500-£1500 space.
Some people CANNOT get past the lack of a "TRUE SWISS HERITAGE" brand and the name.

I'm not joking. Some also HATE the name at 9 o clock was 12 a clock and REFUSE to get any watch without a 12 name/logo.

I think their designs are great and look unique without looking weird.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Soporsche wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:27 pm To Viognier, sounds like a nice evening was had with friends (knowledgeable fellow watch geeks) who admired the quality of your CWs especially in relation to price. You pass on this feedback in a friendly conversational way as a point of interest to other CW owners, thank you. Everyone likes the feel-good of fellow enthusiasts appreciating a brand you/we own.

To some of the posts, theres nothing in the original post to argue with really, its just good feedback, their opinion is their opinion.. Its not a definitive statement of fact, a detailed market analysis or scientific study, just a sharing of good feedback from these guys comparing with other watches they own.
Its super easy, if your opinion differs and you personally are not impressed with the quality, brand, relative value, design or direction compared to other brands.. dont buy one (or any more), spend your money elsewhere job done!

I own a few CWs, personal opinion is generally impressed otherwise I wouldn't own them. I also own many more watches of other brands +/- the CW price point.. I will often extoll CW positives in conversation with fellow enthusiasts, that doesn't make me a blind 'CW fanboy'.
Well stated.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.