Trident/C60 Bezel question

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Trident/C60 Bezel question

Post by Soporsche »

Hi, long shot but can anyone tell me if the bezel on a 316L and a C60/Trident Mark II are the same (obviously not the finish, but the fitting/sizing etc).
I have acquired a broken c60 for a small price to experiment with and looking at some mod options.
Oh and on a theme, is the 300 bezel the same as a 600 just with a different insert (alu or ceramic)
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Trident/C60 Bezel question

Post by gaf1958 »

I would hazard a guess that the 316L bezel is totally interchangeable with the standard MkII bezel. It would stagger the imagination that they’d change the bezel design for such a limited run, so I think it’s a very safe bet. Disclaimer though - I don’t own any of the 316L models to verify that.

As to the aluminium quartz vs ceramic MkII, it’s quite possible, but I really don’t know.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Without going as far as actually removing the bezels, I measured various aspects of the bezels and cases with digital calipers. As far as I can tell, the measurements are identical between quartz and auto models. Of course, there may be internal differences not visible from the outside; but that seems, on balance, to be unlikely for a bezel mechanism.

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Caution!

I have been down this route with 38mm autos and quartz. I am much wiser for it now, but it wasn't a painless experience.

Be very careful to measure all aspects of the bezels down to the nearest tenth of a mm. Small differences matter. If the sizes are not exactly right you might find, for example, that one bezel may seem slightly loose and the other might be stiff and won't come off...at all!

In theory, any auto bezel will fit any other auto case of the same size and Mk, but do not assume that quartz and auto bezels will be interchangeable.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Thanks for your insight and experience guys. I just have to find the right combo now for some gentle franken work 😁.
I have also thought of course that as an alternative approach i could potentially swap movements rather than bezels.
Stephen

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by gaf1958 »

Soporsche wrote:Thanks for your insight and experience guys. I just have to find the right combo now for some gentle franken work Image.
I have also thought of course that as an alternative approach i could potentially swap movements rather than bezels.
If you have that as an option, and warranty is not a consideration, that’s my preferred method. A movement swap is quite straightforward, whereas bezels can be tricksy little buggers.... (as Gollum might be minded to say, were he the custodian of a watch, rather than a ring). ;)
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Soporsche wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm I have acquired a broken c60 for a small price to experiment with and looking at some mod options.
That's something that I've been looking to acquire as well.
I would like to do some experiments (including using a set of C60 hands).

Word of warning...
Movement swaps are not as straight forward as you may think!
It will depend upon the height of the movement and locating ring as to whether the crown stem is centered through the case (if that makes sense).
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Soporsche »

Thanks guys and good to hear from you Gary (hope the road trip was OK).
Yep Ive had a movement swap in the past (completed by watchmaker for me) and getting the right retaining ring was a challenge. Going to give it a try myself this time.
However, my new(ish) business has hit a big bump (Covid-19) just after we went live and invested 18months and £££, 50%+ of our target market was restaurant, retail, leisure and similar. So no watch buying (only selling) at the moment! Not a sob story, it is what it is and lots are much worse but £ are therefore a bit tight!
Stephen