all watches sold - one big purchase ?

A place to discuss other watch-brands
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

all watches sold - one big purchase ?

Post by willttqs »

so i sold my cw bronze today, and have been selling a few things recently that has enabled me to do one of the following

buy a grail watch - 16610lv / batman (these are both just out of range at the mo)

buy an old sub and an aqua terra bond watch / perpetual 39mm and something CW titanium or a bronze thing.

what would you do?
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: all watches sold - one big purchase ?

Post by Lavaine »

That's a whole bunch of very different watches, which makes it hard to say what the right answer is. Can you live with one watch? Then go for one of your grails. Do you want a little variety, or need a second watch? Then the Sub or OP39, plus something else.

The OP39 is completely different from the other 3 Rolex listed, so I suspect it's not the one you really want. That narrows it down to a grail, or a sub plus something else.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Buy what you really want. Otherwise today's purchase is tomorrow's flip.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Would you be comfortable with say a batman as your only watch and to wear in all circumstances, leave it in a hotel room or wear in the pool? If not, then plan B maybe better - one Sunday best watch and an everyday wearer such as a Trident.

At the end of the day, your choice though.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by b00ndocksaint »

Everyone should own a Rolex Sub, the epitome of the diver genre. You'll be waiting a long time for an LV though, as ADs get precious few per year and will be giving those out to existing prestige customers first of all. I'm on several waiting lists for one so know what I'm on about! Definitely don't pay grey market prices as they're insane. You'll be surprised at how easy a Sub is as a daily wear, mine gets rotated in more than any other and has been skydiving, skiing, kayaking and everything in-between. Watches are for wearing! Good luck and let us know what you go for
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

The question seems to be grail v not a grail. In which case I'll go for: grail.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

b00ndocksaint wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm Everyone should own a Rolex Sub, the epitome of the diver genre. You'll be waiting a long time for an LV though, as ADs get precious few per year and will be giving those out to existing prestige customers first of all. I'm on several waiting lists for one so know what I'm on about! Definitely don't pay grey market prices as they're insane. You'll be surprised at how easy a Sub is as a daily wear, mine gets rotated in more than any other and has been skydiving, skiing, kayaking and everything in-between. Watches are for wearing! Good luck and let us know what you go for
The OP is not looking to buy a 116610LV. He is considering a 16610LV, a watch that the AD would be waiting a long time to receive new from Rolex, as it was discontinued many years ago. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
b00ndocksaint
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by b00ndocksaint »

Misread, and ouch for the price of those bad boys!
Rolex Sub 116610LN / Tudor BB58 / Omega Seamaster 300M Pro 2531.80.00 / Breitling Avenger II Blackbird / Vintage 50s Omega / Bremont S501 / C60 Bronze / C60 Abyss / C65 / Dreyfuss Co 1974 / Vostok Amphibias / Skagen 234XXLT / Zelos Mako Bronze
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by PaulJS »

If it were me I would buy what I really want, otherwise I would be forever disappointed with the compromise.

That said, I couldn't bring myself to pay the ridiculously over inflated prices that many Rolex stainless models have now reached on the used market and, lets be honest, unless you have the patience of Job ( hopefully this isn't straying too far into the subject of religion :D ) you will be buying used.

I would love an LV but the RRP is plenty to pay ( I know its not a current model you are considering ) and I just don't think they are worth £10K + in any form.

I would therefore sit on my little pot of gold while I go and explore all options to satisfy my horological urges - it is surprising how your view can change when you are dealing with the reality of having the cash at your disposal instead of hypothetically contemplating what you would buy.

There is a pretty big choice out there for the money you are considering spending.

One thing for sure though, having consolidated everything into a decent fund I wouldn't go splitting it across a couple or three medium expensive watches. I would buy one absolute stunner and then a few quid on a sacrificial piece that you are happy to see take the knocks, or for when you think you might be mugged!!! A good used Trident MKII would be nice enough to tolerate but also rough enough to make you really appreciate the special one when you wear it.

Savour the dilemma, its a nice one to have!

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

thanks for all your comments and suggestions so far. i do have a polar explorer 2 as well a 40mm one so it would ideally compliment that. i think i probably go with one big purchase, but like you chaps have said it is quite good fun having a look around for stuff. a newly new trident might make its way to me depending on how much i spend!
Will
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Ah well, you missed out a very important piece of the jigsaw there.

Definitely go with the grail and one of those cheap C60s to bang around :wink:
Ryan
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

The polar exp ii 16570 is about as perfect as you like anyway so you could easily have that as a main watch and add a quality second piece like a trident. I wouldn’t go for a batman as you will be doubling up on the functionality. Maybe a sub would be a good partner although if It were me now having had both the hulk and the black sub c date I would be looking at a 5 digit reference or even a bb58 which I believe is close to the perfect dive watch or even the perfect watch full stop.

Of course if you want some pukka high horology at sub rolex pricing have a look in sales corner :wink:
Cheers now, Paul
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

willttqs wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 pm so i sold my cw bronze today, and have been selling a few things recently that has enabled me to do one of the following

buy a grail watch - 16610lv / batman (these are both just out of range at the mo)

buy an old sub and an aqua terra bond watch / perpetual 39mm and something CW titanium or a bronze thing.

what would you do?
Have you been selling houses? You'll need to sell more than a couple of CWs to buy a 16610LV :lol:

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a watch worth £15k, but that's just me. I do love the Kermit though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

looks like i might be getting a kermit from chrono24. just checking out the buyer protection when dealing with a private seller.
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

So a slight update, i got scared of paying 10k to a private seller on chrono24, so i didn't go through with it.

the latest choice is between the following

sea dweller 43mm anniversary edition or

Milgauss blue or vintage sub and Breitling super ocean heritage with a green dial and a CW elite (so back to three watches)

i am genuinely torn between the two options, but need to decide quickly!