How often do you sport a moonphase?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

I’m seriously considering the Moonglow bit wondering how much mileage I would get out of moonphase. I currently have 3 divers, a GMT and 2 chronos.

How often are you wearing moonphase?

MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: How often do you sport a moonphase?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have thought long and hard about all the CW moon phase watches, especially the most recent one, and yet I have never taken the plunge. Why not, I ask myself?

The main reason, I think, is that it would not be a watch I would wear regularly, and certainly not all the time. This would inevitably mean that it would spend a lot of time on a winder or would need to be reset completely at regular intervals. Neither of those situations fits in very well with my current watch wearing habits.

Secondly, it comes over as a very dressy watch, and I am tending to wear those less frequently. If I go anywhere smart I have my Cartier and a selection of vintage watches.

Thirdly, it’s a fabulous complication but one which I feel I have very little real need for.

A beautiful conversation piece that would not be worn very often? I couldn’t justify it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’ve owned one (a Speedmaster) but after the first couple of times I wore it, I seldom set the moon phase - not because it was difficult to do, but because I could rarely be bothered to actually check what phase the moon was presently in...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

On any clear evening. Although it would be unusual to have 29 consecutive clear evenings to observe each of the phases during a 29ish day cycle. :)

[Edit: I misread the title - thought it said “spot” not “sport”! :lol:]

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I have owned two Quantiemes (full calendars with moonphase) both pocket watches, one of which I still have. We also have a moonphase clock in the sitting room. Steve is right that moonphases are bit of a pain to set so ideally you need to keep them running. The full calendars are also somewhat delicate and cost a fortune to service. Having said that, I really like them and will at some point acquire a wrist watch auto version so it can maintain itself in the winder.

While I like the design of the C1 and may be tempted, I do not like the Moonglow because of the two moon display and the pointer date. To my mind such pieces are very special and SS cases don't really cut it.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

I wear it every other day and rotate my other CW watches around these days. One reason is to keep it 'powered up' and another is cos I like the look of it (but that's personal taste).

Cheers
Chris

Meant to say that it's the Moonglow I wear
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

I admire the moonwatch and the worldtimer but they are not watches I would ever wear. I admire the technology but practically I have no need on a daily basis, seldom ever if the truth be known, to know the phase of the moon or the time in Kuala Lumpar. I regard these watches as collectors watches. If I had the spare cash I would buy both because as I said I admire the workmanship and the beauty of the design but I would never wear one.
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Once a fortnight, worn in rotation with others
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I have a C9 Moonphase. I wear it for a couple of weeks a year. I won't be selling it though as my wife bought it for me.

I use this site to help set the moonphase

https://www.moonconnection.com/moon_pha ... ndar.phtml
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I bought a Moonglow in the NN recent sale and, whilst it’s a beautiful thing, it’s a little too dressy for me.

Although it’s only been tried on briefly and put away again I did have the feeling that resetting the moon cycles would be a bit too much for me every time I wore it.

I’ll stick it up in the sale section when I get round to taking some pics!
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

albionphoto wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:30 pm
I use this site to help set the moonphase

https://www.moonconnection.com/moon_pha ... ndar.phtml
I also, very useful :thumbup:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I had a C9 Moonphase.
Although a lovely watch I didn't really wear it that much and ended up selling it.
Here are a couple of useful links:
Manual: https://www.christopherward.co.uk/media ... manual.pdf
Moon phases: https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/uk/london
WalterSMonaco
Senior
Senior

Post by WalterSMonaco »

Seems like the consensus is most of these watches are mainly fancy conversation pieces.

MC
Tag Heuer Monaco Cal 12
Tag Heuer Link Cal 16
Hamilton Khaki “Murph”
CW C60 Trident 600 Pro GMT
Tudor BB steel
Tudor BB GMT
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I’d quite like to own one, and definitely plan to do so in the future. I spent quite a while with one of the newer models on my wrist on my last visit to CW Towers Showroom and really liked the way it sat, thanks to its relatively small size. It certainly looked discrete, elegant and prefect for smarter occasions.
I also appreciate the conversation aspect; not only the moon phase action but the display case back too.
As mentioned above by several others though, it won’t get as much wrist time as it would need to keep it fully wound. My “smart” days are once a week at the most and I already have some other nice pieces for the weekends themselves.
So. I will inevitably get one at some point, but I have a couple of other models on the wish list that are higher priority at the moment.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I wear my speedy moonphase 2-3 days a week
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.