Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Educating kids, fun with watches

Post by Noush »

I suppose this belongs here, hope so...
Yesterday I went with my daughter's little family, including 3 year old grandson, to Bathurst for Saturday practice/qualifying of the 12 hour race.
First time Zack has seen my newly-arrived C65 Trident Diver with its clickety-click rotating bezel. LOVED it, especially the sound, although his little fingers had trouble actually doing the rotating without a bit of help. Bit firm for a 3 year old, perfect for me.

His parents wear Apple things for the usual connectivity/performance-measure reasons. So when I visit he makes a bee-line for my various watches to see what it is today. The Tissot "hasn't got any numbers? The black one (Hamilton) has lots of numbers". He doesn't actually read so much of course but he can figure that out. Favourite until now has been the Chronoscope for all the hands whizzing around when you re-set the chronograph. Endless (repeated!) amusement. He tells his Mum "Tell Noush to wear the white watch!" when she tells him I'm coming over.

We think that in the future the request will be for the blue one :) He was all over it, all day.
There's all sorts of fascinations about time and analogue watches we need to pass on to the little ones. Any stories to share?
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Educating kids, fun with watches

Post by PaulJS »

Call me a grumpy old git, but there is no way I would let small sticky fingers get anywhere near any of my watches. Grandson or otherwise.

I agree that small children need to be educated, entertained and inspired by exploring their dexterity........ and that's why Lego was invented :lol:

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^And Seiko.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

In the hope of perpetuating an interest in timepieces, I often let the grandchildren play with old clock movements when visiting. I have nothing against the digital age, but am hopeful that they will show enough interest to at least learn some basic mechanics and the history of time as it relates to mankind's history.

At the very least they will be taught how to read the time on a proper clock/watch.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Danbailey007 »

Kip wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:16 pm
At the very least they will be taught how to read the time on a proper clock/watch.
Definitely agree with this! As one of the younger members of the forum (I think, no offense intended!) and with a 6 month old I fully intend to teach her how to tell the time on an analogue clock/watch. I fully expect that by the time she starts wearing a watch, if she does at all, it will be digital but some things just have to be passed down don't they.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

My 7yo and me like our trips to Brands Hatch to watch the motor racing, he likes to be involved so uses an old Heuer mechanical stop watch to time his favourite cars in the races.. feels like he's part of the team (hes been known to tell the driver their best time when we wander the pits) 😊
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Our grandchildren are showing an interest in watches, including the two youngest.

The five year old had a clock for his bedroom as part of his Christmas presents.
35965668-A8B0-4877-AC17-1AC671EDD13E.jpeg
F2473951-17C5-48A8-9C21-70DE3B7C341A.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

nbg wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:05 pm Our grandchildren are showing an interest in watches, including the two youngest.

The five year old had a clock for his bedroom as part of his Christmas presents.

Neil
Give him a couple of years and Im sure he will offer to swap his clock for that watch :D !
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

I can assure you Paul, that the little fella was WELL wet-wiped before "engaging" the Trident (or the Chronoscope), and thoroughly supervised :)
No shortage of Lego there either. Along with about 200 toy cars...an insane number of those.

Both the chronograph and the rotating bezel open up all sorts of new ways to talk about the idea of time, in addition to the essentials of analog watches. Changing numbers on a digital just don't cut it.
The wonder in those eyes, the "I'm really paying attention" when we talk about it are priceless. The warm joy on my daughter's face when the old boy and the little fella engage like that is maybe best of all.

Grandparent relationships are particular and special. I guess i wanted to open up the sharing of that: it turns out watches can be a wonderful tool.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

nbg wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:05 pm Our grandchildren are showing an interest in watches, including the two youngest.

Blimey Neil, the kid’s only gone and stolen the Trident Mk4 mock-up! :shock:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

If that really is the Trident Mk IV mock up and not a Farer prototype then the hour hand looks a lot better :lol: :lol:
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

My boys 5 and he's got two analogue watches of his own. The batteries dead in one though and he can't find his most recent (a Flik Flak). He's whining to wear one to school today though so I've stuck an old digital Casio on him that used to wear to work until I replaced it with a G Shock.

I encourage it hugely. A man with no watch has no soul.