Winding the C65

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Blake
Senior
Senior

Winding the C65

Post by Blake »

Hi!
Just got a brand new C65 Trident and I have a question about winding the watch.
Feels like when I wind the crown and gently turn it forwards within the clocks movement the crown kinda "rolls" back so I cannot complete a full 360 instead just gently rolling it forward - the crown jump backwards and all over again.
Is it normal?
Cheers!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Winding the C65

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Hi Blake,

You don't say whether your C65 Trident is a Trident Diver - hand wound or Trident Automatic.

Either way, having checked on my C65 Trident Diver and C65 Trident GMT (automatic) when winding and then releasing the turning movement, the crown remains stationary (to allow you to reposition one's finger & thumb ready for the next wind).

Sounds like you have a problem.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Blake
Senior
Senior

Post by Blake »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 pm Hi Blake,

You don't say whether your C65 Trident is a Trident Diver - hand wound or Trident Automatic.

Either way, having checked on my C65 Trident Diver and C65 Trident GMT (automatic) when winding and then releasing the turning movement, the crown remains stationary (to allow you to reposition one's finger & thumb ready for the next wind).

Guy

Hi Guy.
It's a hand wound C65 Trident.
I guess I will contact CW.
Bahnstormer_vRS

If it was the automatic I would be confident in suggesting a faulty / broken 'click spring', that can happen with any movement, and for which it is a straightforward and quick repair.

I'd suggest the same issue with yours but, being the hand wound movement, I am not totally sure.

Either way, yes, best course of action will be to contact CW via their Service and Repair page.

Guy

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

The Sellita SW210-1 in my C65 Trident Diver has a "recoil" of about 45 deg of arc when you release it. This is more noticeable as it approaches a fully wound state. If that is what you are describing I think it's fairly normal, as long as your watch winds fully and runs for the stated time. If it rolls back a full revolution then there is likely to be a problem.

Also you don't have to release the crown. If the ratchet is operating correctly it's perfectly OK to maintain contact with finger and thumb throughout the wind and just roll it gently back and forth. The more you use hand winders the more you get a feel for this sort of thing.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Blake
Senior
Senior

Post by Blake »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:00 pm The Sellita SW210-1 in my C65 Trident Diver has a "recoil" of about 45 deg of arc when you release it. This is more noticeable as it approaches a fully wound state. If that is what you are describing I think it's fairly normal, as long as your watch winds fully and runs for the stated time. If it rolls back a full revolution then there is likely to be a problem.

Also you don't have to release the crown. If the ratchet is operating correctly it's perfectly OK to maintain contact with finger and thumb throughout the wind and just roll it gently back and forth. The more you use hand winders the more you get a feel for this sort of thing.
Problem is that this 45 recoil appeared even when the second hand did not move which mean zero wound, and after playing a bit with the crown (far from being fully wounded) this happened to me. I will try once again once the watch stops working and see for the last time, other wise I will contact CW like Guy said
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Steve is correct in that manuals typically have a little kickback from the crown, no matter what the wind state except fully discharged, this is caused by ratchet wheel backlash as it holds the mainspring in tension. As he suggests, wind by rolling backwards and forwards with your finger & thumb in continuous contact (my father showed me this many years ago when I got my very first watch - a simple manual Timex - as a birthday present) and you won't really notice the kickback. So long as the watch winds to full PR and runs normally I would suggest that you do not have a problem.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Amor Vincit Omnia

I have given all my manual watches a wind and there's a noticeable recoil on almost all of them. I never normally notice it because I always maintain contact when winding, as described above. They all do what it says on the tin.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 pm Hi Blake,

Guy

In the light of posts above, I have rechecked my C65 Trident Diver and found that when releasing the crown having wound it forward, it reverses by about 1/4 of a turn; the same as experienced by others.

@Blake - Apologies for the misinformation last night.

Guy

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Winding the C65

Post by gaf1958 »

I’m wearing my vintage Continental chronograph today - it has a Venus 188 in it and it has easily the most noticeable kickback of any of the hand wound watches I own - probably a good half turn. I just checked some others and my Speedmasters have zero kickback, as does my vintage Tissot chrono with a closely related Lemania movement. However a similar vintage Tissot fitted with a Valjoux 7733 has about a quarter of a turn of kickback; that’s probably unsurprising as the 7733 is a development of the older Venus 188 found in my Continental.

I checked my C65 hand winders (Sellita SW210) and all of them have a small amount of kickback when winding - call it a quarter turn or so. All three are consistent in that. Another hand wound three hander is my Farer Hudson running the Peseux/ETA 7001 - it has no kickback.

In summary, I’d hazard a guess that the amount of kickback is inherent in the movement in the watch. Different movements have differing amounts of kickback due to the design of each movement. Based on my three C65s, I’d say it’s normal.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^ That seems a pretty good analysis, Gary.

I will also add that I didn’t notice any particular kickback with my Speedmaster.
Steve

StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

My C65 Khaki also has a small amount of rollback as does my Nomos.
My handwind Orient Star also had the same.

I googled 'Glashutte stopwork' before I bought my Nomos and found an explanation somewhere that explained the reason for the rollback.
If I can find it, I'll post it here.

All sounds perfectly normal though.
Ryan
Blake
Senior
Senior

Post by Blake »

Really appreciate your comments.
Read each and every one so just thank you for giving it a check and actually helping ne out.
Cheers boys,
Bahnstormer_vRS

Blake wrote:Really appreciate your comments.
Read each and every one so just thank you for giving it a check and actually helping ne out.
Cheers boys,
Glad it has been of help.

Question now is, do you believe you have a problem with yours or is the amount that "the crown jumps back" in line with what has been advised?

Guy

Blake
Senior
Senior

Post by Blake »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:20 pm
Blake wrote:Really appreciate your comments.
Cheers boys,
Glad it has been of help.

Question now is, do you believe you have a problem with yours or is the amount that "the crown jumps back" in line with what has been advised?

Guy

Feels like my jump backs matches the others so I guess im fine for now :)