Ebay

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Yesyesnono

Ebay

Post by Yesyesnono »

It has started to annoy me that it seems to be certain sellers buying watches in the nearly new and then selling on ebay...

Is it not possible to introduce a limit to buying per month and account
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Ebay

Post by scooter »

They are limited to buying a certain number of items just as everyone else is.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono »

Thanks I didn’t realise there was a restriction.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

Taken from the CW Website:

The number of items per customer will be limited to 5, and duplicate items limited to 1

scooter
Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono »

But couldn’t they buy separately each time
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Where There's A Will, There's A Way

Post by scooter »

Presumably CW have the personal details of their customers and would pick this up.

There have been many threads on this and CW instigated the above to try and appease fans who had complained.

At the end of the day though they are a business looking to sell, not restrict the sale of watches.

scooter
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^ Downside to CW's business is that after 58 days unsold on eBay they magically have many requests for return bags.......

So if no one from the forum buys from these eBay sellers, perhaps the real watch collectors here will get to purchase and enjoy them.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by scooter »

A very valid point Lance.

scooter
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

Is it known for a fact that the watches on ebay have been bought in the recent sales?

Or are people just presuming?

Is it known that the ebay buyers are not watch enthusiasts? If you read the feedback left by the buyers for the sellers they are thrilled with their CWL purchases.

Out of 150 CWL listings on ebay today, 50 of them were listed as 'brand new'

Is ebay selling really such a problem?

(FYI ~ I am not one of the ebay sellers).
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm Is it known for a fact that the watches on ebay have been bought in the recent sales?
No
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm Or are people just presuming?
Yes - When you see watches listed within hours of a sale event with no actual pictures and just stock images, measured presumptions are made.
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm Is it known that the ebay buyers are not watch enthusiasts? If you read the feedback left by the buyers for the sellers they are thrilled with their CWL purchases.
No - But they are possibly paying a higher price than they would have paid if they had managed to secure a watch in the sale as they are covering the mark up of the seller.
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm Out of 150 CWL listings on ebay today, 50 of them were listed as 'brand new'
So up to a third of those on ebay could be from a sale event. Would someone go to the trouble of selling on a brand new watch when they could return it to CW under the 60/60 policy if no longer wanted - unless they were out to make a profit.
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm Is ebay selling really such a problem?
It depends if you miss out on the sale or not, or whether in fact you manage to grab a bargain from an ebay seller who is selling at a reasonable price, or if you discover a model you want which is no longer available. It has both positive and negative impacts.
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:13 pm (FYI ~ I am not one of the ebay sellers).
:thumbup:
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^ Also possible that the other 100 for sale on eBay might be from the nearly new sale, therefor aren't marked as Brand New...
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Newer members won’t necessarily be aware that this whole question did raise its head on the forum about three years ago, when we had one or more members who were quite obviously reselling at a profit on the forum immediately after a sale. You can find the thread if you want to (it got pretty acrimonious at times) but the end result was the following rule which we instigated on the back of this issue:
10. Profiteering

10.1 The Sales Corner is not to be used by or for any commercial business or traders to sell items purchased for resale purposes.

10.2 Advertising of Christopher Ward watches, in the Sales Corner or the CW Forum, that have been purchased during a private, public or preview sale sponsored by CW (including the CW website/showroom) within the past 90 days for more than the original purchase price is strictly prohibited. The CW Forum Administrator/Admin Team reserves the right to view original receipt for verification upon request. Violation of this policy or refusal to submit verification will result in sales post deletion and may result in a warning and/or a ban from the forum.
You have all read that before, of course. It’s on the items that Kip attaches to your introductory post, and I know everyone reads those exhaustively. :thumbup:

Although this pretty much eradicated the problem on the forum, there is nothing we can do about eBay.

My personal view is that I don’t like it. A year or two before the rule was introduced I was beaten to a watch that I was particularly keen to get in the sale. It almost instantly reappeared on the forum at full price. I made an offer via PM, and would not care to reprint the reply! But the gist was that the seller quite honestly admitted to having bought it merely to make a profit and I could go whistle.

Personally, I’m glad that we introduced the rule. That experience didn’t scar me for life, of course, but it left an unpleasant taste.

Sorry...back to eBay.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

The actions of the CW sale sweepers can actually benefit other sellers. The removal of the cheapest offers from the market and the re-offering at a higher price supports the used CW watch values.
There's always time for one more.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^True, Paul, though I suspect that the majority of forum members would be looking at it from the "frustrated would-be buyer's" point of view, in which case the reverse would apply.

To take a well-used analogy, used prices for SS Sports Rolex are great if you're looking to sell. Not much cop if you want to buy one to wear.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I would be surprised if NN watches turned up as “BNIB” on eBay. I don’t like this kind of profiteering and would prefer these watches ended up in the hands of buyers who really want the item, but it’s a free world, and it can’t easily be stopped.

Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk of buying to flip - the cost of eBay and PayPal fees means it has to sell at least at a 13% premium before you make any profit, and the hassle of a return in the event of a no-sale doesn’t excite me enough.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot