C65 Black - Perfect strap monster

Straps, straps, straps, and bracelets!
GTC854
Senior
Senior

C65 Black - Perfect strap monster

Post by GTC854 »

At Christmas I was lucky enough to receive a C65 Auto with true black face. I really enjoy this watch, indeed since Christmas it has had more wrist time than my Seamaster Pro. One of the reasons for this is the way it can take different straps. I bought the watch with the bracelet and I was keen to find out if the quick release bracelet did as it said on the tin. I found the bracelet to come off the watch incredibly easily but... replacing the bracelet was a little tricky until I got the hang of it. I found that for me the trick was to place the bracelet on a table and offer the watch to the bracelet as opposed to offering the bracelet to the watch. Doing this enabled me to pull back on both quick release pins and slide the watch into position. I can now do this very quickly.
A slight ‘issue’ I found when I took delivery of the watch was the stiffness of the bezel. This is fairly tight when the bracelet is attached but interestingly turns very smoothly when the watch is fitted with an alternative strap. I can see no signs of marking on the watch case and can only assume that the bracelet has some contact with the underside of the bezel.
So to the various straps: The first is the bracelet which in my view suits the watch beautifully.
C5DE2459-A30F-4A90-8FE0-DC8114BA944B.jpeg
EEAEBFB8-7C7E-47BA-9480-5A57ECDAE18D.jpeg
The first strap I bought was a black sailcloth strap from Watchgecko. This is a favourite. The quality is great and I like the Watchgecko logo on the buckle and I think the silver stitching compliments the numerals on the watch bezel perfectly the material has a soft sheen to it which I feel suits the style of the C65. The strap is very comfortable to wear on the wrist and it fitted perfectly straight away. There is no backing on the strap which I suspect helps the supple feel. Sadly Watchgecko only produce this quick release strap in black with various colours of stitching. I would buy a tan version if they sold one.
1EAA4597-81B3-4377-B9F1-A2B4313DD080.jpeg
F22BE57E-F4DD-40AE-AD71-5AD7DCA7B6AE.jpeg
Next up is a Barton sailcloth strap. On first acquaintance I did not get on so well with this one. It has a leather backing to it which makes the strap very stiff. When I first tried it on it lifted the watch from my wrist. However after a day of wear the strap moulded itself to my wrist and became much more comfortable. While I enjoy wearing the strap I feel that the quality, despite being leather backed is not quite up to the Watchgecko strap. This strap also feels quite wide and the spring bars do not protrude a great deal making it slightly harder to fit.
61ABD698-DE10-4AA9-9340-011EB1DF5010.jpeg
9F18DC9F-C643-4DA3-AD2D-AD9E59B33B7D.jpeg
I came across an old Fossil watch strap which was attached to a watch which cost me £30 a couple of years ago. It looked great on the C65!
CC12E1E3-C737-4277-BD76-28D2FAEBDA60.jpeg
Finally - for a laugh!!! A Barton leather strap in.........red!!! Well, pinkish red actually. Not to everyone’s taste including mine. A little bit of fun on a gloomy day
13C0397F-ACBB-4F6A-9785-6E32540153AA.jpeg
1F9F31BE-479E-4504-AE1A-B877B51A6E3A.jpeg
A great watch for various straps. I am sorry that I have been unable to upload the photos the correct way round. All my efforts to rotate them came to naught.
Gordon
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Black - Perfect strap monster

Post by Thermexman »

Looks great on both sailcloths! Those quick release springbars are great.
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

The colour scheme of the watch is similar to the C65 vintage which I also think is very versatile wrt strap choices.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

GTC - can I ask what version of Watchgecko sailcloth that strap is? I took a look following your comments and 5hey seem to do 3 types: padded, perforated/ rallye/ waterproof.
Thanks
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Definitely with Steve on this one, Gordon. The texture of the sailcloths looks fabulous with the C65. From a looks perspective, the Barton smacks it out of the park for mine, caveats not withstanding.
I have a blue C65 Diver hand wind in transit on a blue hybrid. I've had in mind a tan perforated leather "vintage rally" style strap for the retro sport vibe. I'd be interested in observations on the idea. But for sure I'm going to look at a sailcloth, really impressed by how that looks.

Chris
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
PavG
CW-watches: 2

Post by PavG »

This is one of my favourite looking watches - I'd get it if it was 38mm. Fabulous watch.
GTC854
Senior
Senior

Post by GTC854 »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:37 pm GTC - can I ask what version of Watchgecko sailcloth that strap is? I took a look following your comments and 5hey seem to do 3 types: padded, perforated/ rallye/ waterproof.
Thanks
I am sorry,I missed your question. The sailcloth strap is the waterproof version and the texture is fabulous. Comes with various stitching options. Link here https://www.watchgecko.com/sailcloth-watch-strap
Gordon
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks GTC, I jumped in and bought the non perforated version.