Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

C60 vs C65

Post by Noush »

I'm new here, be gentle with me :)

I've arrived at Christopher Ward looking for a "rotating bezel" watch and it seems CW has some good ones. Mine is a small barely-a-collection of a fairly modest kind and they each have a reason for being, quite apart from just liking them and putting a smile on my face.

I should add I have a 6.5" /16.5cm wrist and 38-40mm/47mm lug length just about taps me out. 42mm and more watches consistently just look wrong.

So. A C60 looks a clean, really well sorted watch in the new MkIII iteration and it's something that knows what it is. I like it. C65 is a different proposition with all sorts of historical references, which mean nought to anybody I know to be honest. I am not driven by "retro' appeal" as such but it's a good looking thing in its own right (and quite different to the existing watches), and slimmer by height which I generally prefer. Automatic or manual is not an issue.

Where I'm getting to with this is looking for observations from people with experience of these pieces, how they wear (does a C60 wear "taller"?), their "clarity of purpose", versatility in different situations, that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 vs C65

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Difficult choice, Chris. Two lovely watches and a little different. Whichever one you go for, you must realise that you will immediately turn into James Bond, be gifted with a fast car and surrounded by beautiful young women.

If you prefer to be Sean Connery in Thunderball, take the C65. If Craig and Skyfall is more your bag, go for the C60.

Me? I’d be happy with either, but would probably lean towards the C65. Shaken, not stirred. Or should that be wound, not shaken? Lovely as it is, the C60 still looks like a lot of other divers, whereas the C65, especially the blue dial version which I have, is a little more...different, a little more...Croisette, one might say.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Noush wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:33 pm I'm new here, be gentle with me :)

I've arrived at Christopher Ward looking for a "rotating bezel" watch and it seems CW has some good ones. Mine is a small barely-a-collection of a fairly modest kind and they each have a reason for being, quite apart from just liking them and putting a smile on my face.

I should add I have a 6.5" /16.5cm wrist and 38-40mm/47mm lug length just about taps me out. 42mm and more watches consistently just look wrong.

So. A C60 looks a clean, really well sorted watch in the new MkIII iteration and it's something that knows what it is. I like it. C65 is a different proposition with all sorts of historical references, which mean nought to anybody I know to be honest. I am not driven by "retro' appeal" as such but it's a good looking thing in its own right (and quite different to the existing watches), and slimmer by height which I generally prefer. Automatic or manual is not an issue.

Where I'm getting to with this is looking for observations from people with experience of these pieces, how they wear (does a C60 wear "taller"?), their "clarity of purpose", versatility in different situations, that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
Hi,

There was a recent thread about this very topic containing lots of thoughts and photos which should be of some help -
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53305
Good luck in your decision!
Roger32

Post by Roger32 »

I have a 6.75 inch wrist and currently own a c60 38 mm Mk2, I find the watch wears quite tall but not excessively so and the weight of the watch Is a lovey heft on the wrist, I have thin but wide wrists and could probably wear a 40mm but not I would imagine the 43mm.

I
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm Difficult choice, Chris. Two lovely watches and a little different. Whichever one you go for, you must realise that you will immediately turn into James Bond, be gifted with a fast car and surrounded by beautiful young women.
:lol: unfortunately this did not immediately happen the shecond I put the watch on nor in the time since.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:56 pm If you prefer to be Sean Connery in Thunderball, take the C65. If Craig and Skyfall is more your bag, go for the C60.
That just might be the best description yet for capturing the aesthetic and dare I say emotional difference between the C65 and the C60! That’s brilliant, Steve!
Drew
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

I recently bought a black C60 and have similar sized wrists to yours. It’s a lovely watch with a great weight and build quality. It does wear slightly ‘tall’, especially since I often wear mine with a suit and sometimes it struggles to slide underneath my shirt sleeve, but I personally prefer its more modern stylings over the C65.

Essentially I would go with whichever design your truly prefer, because I think either size would work for you.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

I do think the c65 models are a bit different from the herd and cw offer a lot of options in this case and would be my choice. Also in its favour is that despite its 41mm case diameter it has a very wearable lug to lug and a very slim looking profile that makes it wear a touch smaller.
Both nice watches and I’m sure you will be pleased either way
Cheers now, Paul
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Awesome group of responses (and link). Just what I was looking for.
Oh Steve, the Which Bond? analogy was a cracker. Sean Connery for mine.
C65 is going to get the nod I think. Historical references notwithstanding, on its own merits it is a great looking watch (with slimmer proportions) and there's not really much quite like it; certainly not in the mini-collection that I have now.

So which one? Spoiled for choice. Stand alone, the blue dial looks great(er), but black goes with more things. Definitely on the Oak leather, I am not a steel bracelet guy.
So guys, when is a good time? I've missed recent sale, how often are they - is it worth cooling the heels or just go for it?
Also I see there are FLE watches, what is the likelihood of an "interesting" version of the C65 showing its face in the near future?

Chris
FYI "Noush" rhymes with push. It's what my daughter and 3 year old grandson call me :)
Chris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Noush wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 am
So guys, when is a good time? I've missed recent sale, how often are they - is it worth cooling the heels or just go for it?
Also I see there are FLE watches, what is the likelihood of an "interesting" version of the C65 showing its face in the near future?

Chris
FYI "Noush" rhymes with push. It's what my daughter and 3 year old grandson call me :)
Chris

check out the clearance section, there is a blue C65 manual in there if that takes your fancy and you are quick.

WRT FLEs: we tried to do one this year but the effort collapsed due to lack of consensus, so for the moment at least, no FLE.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Noush - if you want to buy new, cool your heels for a week or two, as a £100 voucher code is likely to be along soon; to tie in with the next issue of Loupe and likely new releases.

If you are happy to take a punt on a Nearly New piece at 30% off, keep an eye on CW's website.

Major clearance sales tend to be January and July, but ad hoc special sales (of Archive / Prototype pieces perhaps) cannot be ruled out.

Good luck.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Is the blue C65 currently sat in the NN section no good for you?

It's been there all weekend. Don't worry about the Hybrid strap, you can sell it and replace it with one you like :thumbup:

edit: just seen Horatio has already mentioned it :oops:
Ryan
CW257
Senior
Senior

Post by CW257 »

Noush wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:00 am
If you can keep your powder dry (and depending on how much of a consideration money is for you), I would 100% recommend waiting for one to appear in the 'nearly new' section. My C60 was literally as good as new, yet cost me 30% less than the price of a new model. You do have to move fairly quickly when one does appear though.

Alternatively, the £100 voucher code others have mentioned is a good offer too.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

The clearance Blue Diver is very tempting. As you say Ryan, the blue Hybrid strap is not one I'd normally go for but they are changeable.
Gotta give that one some thought. :thumbup:
Chris
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

That one is mine!
Chris
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Noush wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm That one is mine!
You are about to experience the Domino effect, Double-Oh-Seven!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)