Should I buy a watch winder ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Yesyesnono

Should I buy a watch winder ?

Post by Yesyesnono »

Hello all

I have a few automatics now and started to find I need to wind the watches quite often I do fancy a watch winder they seem to have a bit of bad press but any comments be gratefully received
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Should I buy a watch winder ?

Post by scooter »

There have been many threads on this topic both here and on just about every watch Forum.

The final result usually ends up a draw.

Personally, I used one for many years but when it broke I didn't buy another.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Yesyesnono

Post by Yesyesnono »

Super thanks
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I've reached a compromise with myself.

I have several watch winder but leave them unplugged.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Yes.
No.
Yes.
No.

Depends.

If you have an automatic with a date that you wear, say, two or three times a week they can be useful. My Cartier Tank lives on one quite a lot of the time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I currently have 12 autos and have never bothered with a winder. I personally don’t see the need unless maybe you had only 3 or 4 watches you wore regularly in which case say a 2 watch winder might be more justified. With the number I have (and plenty of folk on here have more watches than me) I’d need a bank of them.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
downer

Post by downer »

I had 12 running at one time, but these days I only have a single winder running.

Overall, I think they are a good thing, but a nice-to-have rather than a necessity.
Richard
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I don't own one, and personally only two good use cases for having one.
1. You only wear 2-3 watches in a daily rotation. In this case having one might make sense rather than winding and setting each of your watches multiple times per week.
2. You own a very complicated watch, such as a perpetual calendar. Having to set a perpetual calendar each time you wear it defeats the purpose.

So my answer is maybe, but not likely.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Lavaine wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:38 am I don't own one, and personally only two good use cases for having one.
1. You only wear 2-3 watches in a daily rotation. In this case having one might make sense rather than winding and setting each of your watches multiple times per week.
2. You own a very complicated watch, such as a perpetual calendar. Having to set a perpetual calendar each time you wear it defeats the purpose.

So my answer is maybe, but not likely.
Wot he said - my reasons in a nutshell for running a 4 hole winder and I do find it worthwhile (just) as a nice to have.

NB, watches that run slow need to be reset once in a while (I keep a radio controlled Casio on the bedside table for reference) while watches that run fast are more convenient, just require a few seconds interruption once out of the winder.

Moonphase/calenders etc. are a real pain unless on a winder and so end up not being worn as often as they should.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I have a 4 watch winder which is now one too few! Personally I think they are handy as long as they do what your watches need in terms of direction and numbers of turns. My watches all maintain time really well using it. I like them but from what I have read some watchmakers do not!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

I have a dual winder, it's convenient to grab and go on those automatic movement watches.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I have one dual; winder. I have only a need to ever keep 2 automatics wound, the others I am happy to let run down and rest when I'm not planning on wearing them for a while..usually the winders only got 1 watch in it at most as the one I am wearing doesn't need to go into the winder at night. I simply take it off and leave it on the night stand.

I also tend to switch the winder off for a day or two once an SH21 is fully wound. My winder is a cheapie only cost about £25 rotates both ways periodically, but I can't set it for number of turns every day or anything like that.
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

I have a nice one that I won from the forum for a competition a few years ago but to be honest it gets no use at all.
However I may put two watches I use for work into it purely because I am running out of space in my watch boxes and as I get up at 04:15 twice a week it's handy to have the two automatics set and ready to go.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have a couple of winders. Haven’t used them for a few years.

I tend to pick three main watches to wear over a week or so, before switching to another three. Always found it easy enough to keep all three running without the need for winders.

I probably wear another three or four at some point during the week, which I just pick from the box and set for the few hours that they are likely to be worn. A couple of winders wouldn’t really help, as I have no idea what other watches I am likely to pick before I choose them.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I use winders. The conclusion when this topic has been discussed before tends to be that it’s a matter of choice and convenience. I like the convenience of a watch being more or less correct when I put it on.

I recently took a trip with 3 watches and I rotated religiously each day, but the constant need to correct and wind every day reminded me why I like a winder. OK, a first world problem, but still....

If you have several watches and tend to wear a different one each day, then a winder is very convenient, but the ‘need’ in terms of mechanical benefit hasn’t been confirmed. Indeed, some folks says the additional wear is a bad thing.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot