Custom Duties on CW purchase

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
richardcheung

Post by richardcheung »

Hi Everyone,

I've purchased a watch from Christopher Ward's "Nearly New Sale" the watch was over $800 and from the looks of it I am hit with customs :clap:

One thing that I am worried about is that I am unsure of the quality of the watch, looking at previous forum posts it seems that there are some NN watches with deep scratches and gunk on them. If that is the case I might not keep the watch. If I was to return the watch, would I lose the money paid through DHL for customs.

Also it seems that there is a form that I have to fill out with DHL that breaks down the watch value for movement, strap and case. Does anyone know how that works or would CW be responsible for handling that? Today is Sunday in the states so I assume that I would receive the form from DHL tomorrow.

Finally, what should I expect to be the charge from customs? I believe I paid ~1100 for watch.

Thanks,
Richard

edit- Grammar mistakes
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Custom Duties on CW purchase

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Welcome to the forum Richard.

CW complete the 'breakdown' declaration required by US Customs & DHL, and documents are shipped with the watch.

If, in the hopefully unlikely situation, that you return the watch you should be able to get a full refund of Customs charges (but perhaps not DHL's handling/admin fee). I'm sure one of our USA members will clarify this.

Fingers crossed for you, which watch did you buy?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Welcome to the forum.

I have bought a number of NN watches including one in December and it was completely pristine and as new, so the ones you have read about with issues I am sure are very much in the minority.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
borderman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by borderman »

I have bought quite a few NN CW watches over the years and they have
all been perfect
Dave :thumbup:
3 CW ladies for my wife.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@richardcheung - I believe you have recently added a screenshot to your initial post with the DHL Tracking details and instructions.

As I posted initially, CW should have completed all the required documents and included them with the watch.

If DHL are having difficulty with this for some reason, you should contact CW Customer Service and/or DHL and get the two organisations talking to each other to sort it out.

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
richardcheung

Post by richardcheung »

@Bahnstormer_vRS

Thank you so much, anxiously awaiting the watch now.

Richard
DCDre
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by DCDre »

Richard,

I went through this with DHL and CW at the end of 2019. It ended up being an expensive and frustrating experience. I bought a C65 Black Gold one, so the price range was similar.

I got a notice that the watch would be getting delivered soon, then nothing. I kept checking the online status and it kept saying 'clearance event'. After a few days of that, I called DHL and inquired what's up. They informed me that I needed to supply a watch / clock worksheet which breaks down the value of the watch. I reach out to CW support to get this process started. No real movement there. After a few more days of waiting, I call DHL back and a somewhat more helpful rep informs me that I can guestimate the values and get that back to DHL.

I proceed to do just that. Then I get a notice that I owe import duties on the watch. A somewhat eyewatering $128.49 for a watch that cost $840. The biggest charge in the customs bill - $62 for 'Bonded Storage'. When I search around for that, I find
https://www.dhl.com/en/express/customs_ ... vices.html
"Storage charges apply when the shipment cannot be released by customs due to inaccurate or missing paperwork"

I grumble but pay the import duties just so I can get the watch. A few days later the watch finally arrives.

Then comes the part that really chaps my buns. The necessary watch / clock worksheet was included with the paperwork on the shipment. So all this delay and this rather absurd storage charge just because somebody at DHL didn't bother to look at the paperwork supplied with the package.

I raised this issue to CW support, and they said they're aware of shipment problems with DHL. They offered to refund me the storage charge, but so far that has not come through yet. As much as I like CW watches, this shipping issue is making me reconsider buying from them again. Especially seeing as you're having the same issues that I had.

For you, I would suggest contacting DHL ASAP and insisting that they check the paperwork with the shipment. The necessary paperwork should be there already. If not, get a blank copy of that watch / clock worksheet and fill it in. Guess as to the breakdown of how much of the value is the case / movement, etc. Just make sure the total comes to how much you paid for the watch. Then get it back to them ASAP. Otherwise I'm betting you'll get slapped with this ridiculous bonded storage charge.

Good luck.
richardcheung

Post by richardcheung »

@DCDre

Looks like I am in the exact same situation as you right now. I've contacted DHL and provided all information required from my side, Address SSN etc.

DHL is now telling me that they are waiting for Christopher Ward to reply to them in regards to watch cost breakdown. I've contacted Christopher Ward customer service however no reply from them yet. Hopefully I wont get hit with storage fee.

Richard
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I purchased a CWL last week (not on the sale because CWL refuses to send me emails despite my attempts to be added to their email list) and it was shipped on Friday and arrived at DHL Vancouver on Saturday where it sat until Monday evening.

It left last night and arrived in my city this morning and out for delivery. I missed the courier even though I was at home (how does that happen) but a notice was left saying I owe $277 in duties and taxes.

How I miss Royal Mail & Canada Post.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I think I'll just be making purchases under $800 from now on to avoid any nonsense and keeping my sanity. :aengstlich:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
DCDre
Junior
Junior

Post by DCDre »

Richard,

I’d definitely stay on top of things with DHL. I’d ask them specifically about the bonded storage fee and whether you may be subject to that.

And let me know if you need a blank watch worksheet. I likely have one on the computer.
richardcheung

Post by richardcheung »

DCDre,

Thank you so much.

I actually just received the customs bill from DHL, looks like it passed through customs.
I'm guessing CW replied to DHL(They still haven't replied to my customer support injury yet)

Hopefully, the NN watch is in good condition, I would hate to have to go through the process of returning the watch.

I will give everyone an update once I receive it.

It's also kind of ridiculous that CW has such bad customer service considering the average customer spends 1k+. I'm hoping that this is just because of the influx of orders stemming from the 50% off sale.

Richard
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

^^ Do we know for certain if it's CW not just DHL (as per DCDre) not properly looking for the attached paperwork?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
richardcheung

Post by richardcheung »

@Viognier, Yes I agree, but at the same time CW still hasn't replied to my customer support request. Like I said hopefully this is purely stemming from the influx of orders from the half off sale.

Richard
DCDre
Junior
Junior

Post by DCDre »

Viognier wrote:^^ Do we know for certain if it's CW not just DHL (as per DCDre) not properly looking for the attached paperwork?
When I received my watch, the pouch with the shipping label and paperwork included the necessary watch valuation worksheet. CW hadn’t sent me a valuation sheet when I contacted support, the only one with the shipment was the one that went out with the watch originally.

There’s a reason the pouches for international shipment are resealable - so the necessary customs forms or whatnot can be accessed and then returned back to the package.

Richard - glad your shipment went through! Looking forward to seeing what you got!