Where did it all start?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Where did it all start?

Post by 0uatiOW »

It all started for me with an advert I saw in an inflight magazine for the Bluebird. I don’t remember exactly when it was, but it caught my eye and set me on a path of research. I didn’t buy one in the end, but I kept an eye on the brand, and eventually bought a 43mm C60 GMT in white/black, quite closely followed by the 38mm all black version. Over the years, I picked up a C60 Bronze in the first week of release, a C7 Rapide Automatic 3-hander with that perfectly balanced dial design, which was somehow not popular with customers :thumbdown:, and late last year a C7 Rapide Automatic Chrono.

I still have all my CWs, and wear them in rotation, some more than others, but they still, for me, present terrific quality and a very competitive price-point.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:49 pm What I believe they do show is the quality of the product from Day One.
I couldn't agree more. While not as complex as later offerings, I think the early models highlight the unique designs of the early CW's. I own a C3 (charcoal dial), C4 CF18, C5A (cream dial), and 2 C6's (black and yellow). None of these designs would be considered derivative of watches from other big names. They are unique designs that really defined the CW design language for the first 5-8 years of the company.
The C3 Mk1 has one of the most interesting dials in my collection. The stepped dial, with sub dials that cut into the outer ring of the dial has a ton of visual interest without being distracting. The sweep second hand reaches almost all the way to the chapter ring, and the 1/10 second chrono is just a little bit different from the norm. The C3 was my second CW purchase.
The C4 is another interesting quartz. The Speedbird had a fairly unique 2 register chrono with a day wheel on the 3rd sub dial. A blue C4 wsa going to be my first CW (from a NN sale) but sold before I could buy it. I eventually bought a used C4 CF18 off the forum. This unique bespoke design features a read dial with black sub dials, and a black PVD case. The logo at 12 is replaced by a maple leaf and silhouette of an RCAF CF-18.
When the C4 blue was sold out, I purchased a NN C5A as my first CW. Sharing the Malvern design language of the C3, the C5 and C5A had stepped dials and long hands that reach almost to the chapter rings. The C5A hands were apparently modelled after an airplane wing, and have a unique shape., and the C5A dial had applied brushed metal numerals. The cream dial had a unique mix of matte dial and brushed numerals, with black high glass hands. The C5A second hand is one of my favourite design details in my entire collection.
The C6 was the original CW diver. Bead blasted case with deeply curved lugs (and a perfectly matched fitted rubber strap), wide oversized hands, and a completely unique bezel made the C6 a totally unique dive watch. It was very successful, and was available in a wide range of dial colours. The quite frankly ridiculously loud yellow dial was (and still is) my favourite, and is my go to weekend grab and go quartz.

The only other CW in my collection is a C6 Mk2. Clearly my heart lies in the first generation of CW pieces. They still make great watches, but I believe that the company was at it's most interesting during the early years, when the focus was on uniqueness and 'Britishness' rather than popularity and sales numbers.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I think the early models still hold up well and were, looking back, amazing value. My first was xmas 2010 and was the c5A mkii closely followed by the black faced c3 chrono. They were both really nice. All versions of the C5A remain my favourites I think.
Cheers now, Paul
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 pm Ah, the Scooter FLE. As rare as hen’s teeth and a watch I always wanted....
There is one in SC if you still want one!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:01 pm Ah, the Scooter FLE. As rare as hen’s teeth and a watch I always wanted....
There is one in SC if you still want one!
Thanks Patrick, i had noticed the Scooter there but my modest collection is at capacity and my wallet is empty!
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

CW first came to my attention after reading about the Tridents on a style blog I follow. I bookmarked the CW webpage and followed the brand quietly for a few years, with a C60 Trident as an aspirational purchase.

Fast forward to December, 2016, when my then fiancé asked what I might like as a wedding gift. That question led to my first, and only, CW - the Mk 1 C65 Trident Vintage.

Why not the C60 Trident, if that was one I’d had my eye on? Honestly, I don’t know. But I have no regrets about suggesting the C65. I absolutely love it and have been singing the praises of CW to anyone who will listen ever since.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

I came across CW while searching for a Steinhart OVM. Like it and bought a C60 Charcoal Bezel, followed by a C3 Mk1

I sold the Steinhart OVM within a month as I preferred the C60

Have owned:
C3/C5/C7/C11/C20/C60x6

Still have C60's and C7 chrono in my modest collection
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

IMG_0530.jpeg
June 2015. I'd been coveting the Tudor Black Bay with zero chance of getting one. I was aware of CW and this started the sickness. Still love it, can't imagine I will ever move it on.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Jape »

My first was the C7 Rapide in 2011 but only about two months owning it, I preordered the C11. Which I still use, whereas the Rapide is on the shelf.
I have not bought a CW for some years now, and doubt I will. The new models have not tickled my fancy, not to mention the logo... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

For me it started after seeing someone share a C70 DBR1 on Pistonheads.
I loved the look, bought one myself and the rest is history.
richtea
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by richtea »

Started back in the day when a leaflet type brochure landed with not many models to pick from never heard of them but gave it a punt

Had various Quartz and autos C5's most variants , Couple of C3 Mk1's which i still have (and managed a nice £15 bracelet for in the sale just now )
Went on to own C6 Kingfisher , C2, C4 Phoenix , C11, C8 Pilot, C3 Chrono MK11, Trident 300
Wife owns Divine Rhonda

Honestly not really bought too many later models
Not because of anything wrong as i feel many later watches actually offer a quality uplift overall .... its just some of the earlier stuff in particular the stepped dial variants were more interesting and imho still hold up today

A great brand though overall and hopefully will go onto further developments (even with the Founder departing )

:D :D

Regards
RichT
6 x C Ward
Assorted Swiss and
Japanese Quartz/Autos etc ...

Open the pod doors Hal !! :lol:
04z

Post by 04z »

Out of curiosity, how were the first CW watches sold? Did you have to pre order them while they were being produced? I’m new to the brand but wondered if they were similar to some of what I see some companies do now where they go thru a kick starter type of process or similar?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Most CW watches are sold via the CW websites. The UK website launched on June 2, 2005. There was no Kickstarter type set ups in those days. The watches were in stock at launch.

For further information you may want to visit the CWArchives and have a read of the Timeline.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.