Issues with c65 trident diving - Winding problems

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
zonnicso

Issues with c65 trident diving - Winding problems

Post by zonnicso »

Hey all

Just got a c65 trident diver and I'm having problems winding this one. Once fully wound it only runs for about 15 hours, granted I've only gone through 2 cycles but still. Pretty far of from the claimed 48 hours. This being my first hand wound watch - is there any trick to it? From what I've gathered the process is rather simple, you wind the watch until you encounter resistance (the crown pushing back a bit if you will). Is there anything I'm missing? Didn't count out how many cycles I needed to wind but the process takes about 30 seconds.

Anyone have experience with these watches and cares to chime in? Not very keen on sending a brand new watch back over seas for 5-6 weeks of service.

Thanks
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: Issues with c65 trident diving - Winding problems

Post by timor54 »

My previous experience...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52499&p=783303&hilit=C65#p783303

It does sound like there could be something wrong with yours.
Tim
Merson10

Post by Merson10 »

I was about to pull the trigger on a C65. Do you guys know if this a recognised issue or you just got unlucky?
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Unlucky IMO and easily remedied by CW

My CW handwind movement watches have been flawless
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Viognier wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm Unlucky IMO and easily remedied by CW

Agreed; likewise. Unlucky IMO and easily remedied by CW

I've had/got two C65 Trident Diver - both perfect.

I've got other CW hand wound pieces, all of which are equally perfect.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
zonnicso

Post by zonnicso »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm
Viognier wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:45 pm Unlucky IMO and easily remedied by CW

Agreed; likewise. Unlucky IMO and easily remedied by CW

I've had/got two C65 Trident Diver - both perfect.

I've got other CW hand wound pieces, all of which are equally perfect.

Guy
Good to hear, thanks for the feedback all. Guess it's of for 5 weeks in repair then. Bit of a bummer tho.
Have the hand wound pieces been working out as well as the automatic ones in your experience? Been eyeing the trident MKIII for a while now.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

zonnicso wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 am Hey all

Just got a c65 trident diver and I'm having problems winding this one. Once fully wound it only runs for about 15 hours, granted I've only gone through 2 cycles but still. Pretty far of from the claimed 48 hours. This being my first hand wound watch - is there any trick to it? From what I've gathered the process is rather simple, you wind the watch until you encounter resistance (the crown pushing back a bit if you will). Is there anything I'm missing? Didn't count out how many cycles I needed to wind but the process takes about 30 seconds.

Anyone have experience with these watches and cares to chime in? Not very keen on sending a brand new watch back over seas for 5-6 weeks of service.

Thanks
I have had no issues winding my C65 in the 1.5 years I've owned it. A fully wound cycle lasts approximately 48 hours for me.

When you say you stop winding when you feel resistance, I wonder if you might be stopping too soon. As you wind the watch, it will have increasing resistance, but to be fully wound you need to wind the crown until there is a definite "stop." The trick is to never wind beyond that stop or apply any undue force when you reach that point. As others have alluded, it takes about 30 winds to be fully wound. I begin to wind the watch very slowly as I get towards the last five to 10 winds and I feel the increasing resistance. That will allow you to reach the "stop" without putting any damaging force to the crown and winding mechanism. Be sure that your last several winds though are sufficiently slow/gentle such that when you reach the stopping point it is a very light "impact."

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
John
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

^^^^^all of what Bident says. I'd expect the resistance you're feeling is it getting tighter and that should continue until you reach the point where it won't let you wind it anymore. I wouldn't worry about overdoing it, I'm sure it would take some real brute force and a severe disregard for the watch for you to break it.
zonnicso

Post by zonnicso »

Bident wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:45 pm
zonnicso wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:33 am Hey all

Thanks
I have had no issues winding my C65 in the 1.5 years I've owned it. A fully wound cycle lasts approximately 48 hours for me.

When you say you stop winding when you feel resistance, I wonder if you might be stopping too soon. As you wind the watch, it will have increasing resistance, but to be fully wound you need to wind the crown until there is a definite "stop." The trick is to never wind beyond that stop or apply any undue force when you reach that point. As others have alluded, it takes about 30 winds to be fully wound. I begin to wind the watch very slowly as I get towards the last five to 10 winds and I feel the increasing resistance. That will allow you to reach the "stop" without putting any damaging force to the crown and winding mechanism. Be sure that your last several winds though are sufficiently slow/gentle such that when you reach the stopping point it is a very light "impact."

Hope this helps.
Just a followup in case anyone stumbles across this thread later. Problem was indeed a user error, wasn't winding it enough. Thought the user manual was literal when it said resistance but after timing it twice fully wound (until it reached a firm stop) it cam in at 48,5 hours. Thanks all.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

zonnicso wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 pm Just a followup in case anyone stumbles across this thread later. Problem was indeed a user error, wasn't winding it enough. Thought the user manual was literal when it said resistance but after timing it twice fully wound (until it reached a firm stop) it cam in at 48,5 hours. Thanks all.

Good to hear! The manual could be written better, as "resistance" is somewhat ambiguous as it pertains to winding the crown.
Best regards,
John
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Thanks for the update, useful information indeed.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I guess that the issue is obvious to those of us that grew up with mechanical watches rather than quartz. If mechanicals are new to you, how would you know?
Steve.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@zonnicso - Good to hear you have sorted the issue.

Hopefully, you will now be able to enjoy wearing the watch (and perhaps post a picture or two).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Delighted it is working correctly for you now.
I also found my first handwound watch to be difficult to determine where the 'stop' was.
Enjoy that lovely watch now :)
realmccoy12406
Senior
Senior

Post by realmccoy12406 »

Just received my C65 olive dial from the sale as well.
Beautiful watch. Approximately 20 turns of the crown before I reached the "stop"
She's been running for 30 hours now and gained
About 10 seconds.
Also picked up a C60 bronze and have only peaked in the box as of this morning, but will wind and set it
Tonight. Missed the last couple of sales, but, enjoyed
This one immensely.
Two watches and two straps!