CW rubber strap removal woes

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

CW rubber strap removal woes

Post by biggus_richus »

I have a CW rubber strap which I've successfully fitted to and removed from a C7 and C60 (both mk2). But when I fitted it to a C65, I just could not get the b***** thing off again! I use a Bergeon tool but when trying to remove from the C65 I couldn't get any purchase behind the notch on the spring bar. Just the repeated click as I slid off the notch. Ended up bending and destroying the springbars just to get the strap off.

Anyone else experience this or have an explanation? All I can think of is some sort of fractional millimetre difference in a measurement
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: CW rubber strap removal woes

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Are you using 'double flange' spring bars?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

I don’t believe they were Guy. They were supplied by CW with the strap and the same pair used each time.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

If you use double flange bars, you are able to get a better purchase on them with the fork of your spring bar tool.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia 5 using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

biggus_richus wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:55 pm I don’t believe they were Guy. They were supplied by CW with the strap and the same pair used each time.
Have a look at this thread viewtopic.php?f=53&t=50289. Given you have jiggered the spring bars, you can get some nice new ones which will be easier to get on with!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I once had a CW Trident V2 that arrived fitted on a CW rubber strap. It was fitted with the wrong springbars that were too long...

Tried absolutely everything I could think of, almost used a Dremel to cut them off - all really annoying as they must have been a pain to fit.

To fix I simply used a narrow screwdriver and managed to push/force it out on my first attempt, with no damage so worth a try.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by biggus_richus »

Thanks Gents for the informative replies. I will ensure I choose better spring bars to replace the ones I ruined.

Still slightly mystified as to why I could remove the spring bars from two watches but not the third.
Rich.

H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

There must be a difference between lug hole sizes/tolerances, if the C65 holes were slightly bigger than the C60's , that would have the effect of the old spring bar butting up more tightly. Double flange (or Swiss ISO) bars solve that problem. You could try measuring (with a micrometer) the spring bars that came with the C65 and if still possible compare them to the ones that came with the rubber strap as it would be interesting to know for future reference - all spring bars are not equal!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)