Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE Initial Impressions...

A place to discuss other watch-brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE Initial Impressions...

Post by Thunder1 »

Well, early this year Gnomon offered a Limited Edition version of their popular Explorer watch. The LE's case size is 39mm vs. 42mm & instead of a sapphire crystal, Gnomon substituted a plexiglass crystal. And they made just 300 copies of it. Hence, the moniker Explorer Plexi LE.

I've had the watch now for about 4 hours. I immediately changed out the standard bracelet for Steinhart's jubilee. Better looking and more comfortable, to boot. However, it has the same 'sticky' clasp as the standard bracelet. The pics below are what it looks like. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the warmth that the plexi glass crystal provides.
Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE(34-300)(1).JPG
Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE(34-300)(2).JPG
My initial impressions are quite favorable. I really like its' looks and 39mm is a perfect case size for my wrist. The gold gilded hands make for a nice sight from certain angles and I think the plexiglass crystal highlights them as well as the matt black dial face.

The only complaints I have are the same that I have w/ my OVM 39...1)the bezel is overly 'tight', i.e. hard to turn..and 2) Steinhart needs to find a slicker clasp for their bracelets.

Here is a pic of the Explorer Plexi LE next to the OVM 39..
Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE  & OVM39(1).JPG
And finally, here is a pic of it next to a couple of Oris Divers 65 BBs that are similar in appearance and function...
Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE & Oris 65s(1).JPG
If folks should happen to come across one of these on the market and like this type of watch in general, I think they should jump on it(if priced reasonably). Mine is #34 of 300.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
alin.sarhos

Re: Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE Initial Impressions...

Post by alin.sarhos »

I was in the market for a another Steinhart. I was worried that the lugs were too straight and that it would look awkward.

Nevertheless, Steinhart do some amazing watches. Still obsessed with Pepsi GMT on a jubilee.
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Re: Steinhart Explorer Plexi LE Initial Impressions...

Post by Thunder1 »

alin.sarhos wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 pm I was in the market for a another Steinhart. I was worried that the lugs were too straight and that it would look awkward.

Nevertheless, Steinhart do some amazing watches. Still obsessed with Pepsi GMT on a jubilee.
Understand!!...check out the Ocean 39 Vintage GMT when you get the chance..and the 3 Steinys that I own all measure 39mm(case width)..their lug-to-lug length is 47mm..this seems to be a very comfortable lug length for many of us w/ average sized wrists..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..