I Know, I Know...(Logo Opinion)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: I Know, I Know...(Logo Opinion)

Post by H0rati0 »

IMHO, all the logos except the twin flags have been somewhat problematic, the current one being more so because it is long and unbalanced. Go with the flags at a suitable balanced position (it's versatile) and confine the name to the case back.

It's all very well being trendy and disruptive, but it don't last.

Having said that, my first CW was a C8PR, new logo (so not off-putting per se) but at 12 and thus balanced. The at 9 logo at best does nothing for me, at worst I don't enjoy it and the jury is still out as to whether I'd buy an at 9 logo piece, most likely not given so many other choices out there.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Whilst I prefer the “old” logo at 12 which is on my red bezel/black dial C60 600, in August this year I picked up 2 C60 600s with “new” logo at 9.

The blue bezel/blue dial at £362.50 and the black bezel/black dial Vintage C60 at £330 (both on bracelet) were just too good to pass up. Especially the Vintage as it was half the price of a C60 on a strap.

One was new, other NN. Both absolutely flawless.

I love all 3 of my C60s, as the ceramic bezels are simply amazing.

I did say I preferred the old logo at 12 but having worn the new logo at 9, I can honestly say I hardly notice the logo and enjoy the watches in general.

So my initial thoughts of not buying due to the logo have certainly been changed and further purchases are very likely.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Craig64 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:15 pm

I say that because from my own point of view, I purchased zero of their watches prior to the rebranding. Since their rebranding, I purchased 4, and now have another on order.

I actually love their current branding, it looks modern and unique to them. For me that 9 o’clock position of the “Christopher Ward” is fine and I like the fact that they are not afraid to move away from what is traditionally considered to be the so called “norm”.

Have I opened the proverbial can of worms?
:?
Not at all. Different people have different views. A forum is a place for sharing views. No problem.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I've been banging the drum on this topic ever since the logo at 9 was introduced and have basically now given up on them ever changing it, no matter how much it would appear to be bad for business given the objections in the comments on every.single.review. (Almost) stopped even mentioning it since I've totally moved on from the brand due mostly to the logo. I understand that some people don't mind it or even like it but personally I detest it and can never not see it.

It's not as though I haven't tried to get past the blight either, having purchased 3 watches with it of which I now own none. I find it to be particularly egregious when the san serif font wordmark is applied at 9 on a vintage inspired watch - it looks totally ridiculous to my eyes, kind of like putting racing arches and a drifting spoiler on a 1937 Rolls Royce.

I would absolutely have bought many more CW watches had the current logo been placed at 12 as on the MOD watches and would quite possibly not have moved on to other brands. As it stands, I won't be buying any CWs while the empty space remains. I still own 5 old logo CWs and one with the san serif logo at 3 (Trident chrono).

I just don't understand the thinking so have given up trying to.

EDITED TO CORRECT: NOT 65 OLD LOGO - 5 OLD LOGO. I'm not Kip! LOL
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Amor Vincit Omnia

FloridaPhil wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:22 pm I've been banging the drum on this topic ever since the logo at 9 was introduced and have basically now given up on them ever changing it, no matter how much it would appear to be bad for business given the objections in the comments on every.single.review.
While not really either agreeing or disagreeing, Phil, it’s perhaps fair to point out that the people running the business don’t appear to think it’s bad for business, if that makes sense.

For the record, I started off anti the current version, went through tolerant and ambivalent to quite liking it and preferring it to the v.1 “cattle brand” monogram...though I’d take CHR. WARD any time.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:37 pm it’s perhaps fair to point out that the people running the business don’t appear to think it’s bad for business, if that makes sense.
I suspect the huge increase in sales has been due to a large increase in marketing budget and a focus on social media. The launch of a very attractive C65 and the Mk3 C60 will have helped no end. That this meteoric increase in sales coincided with a change in logo doesn’t necessarily mean that the logo change was the cause of the sales increase. Some of us have noticed that over the same period, the number of vitriolic attacks on QC and customer service has ballooned. Should we conclude too that this is a result of the logo change? Not me. I would infer that the increase in the absolute number of complaints is more likely are modest percentage increase taken from a much larger sales volume, swamping a CS team which was scaled to meet an historic sales pattern.

Back to the logo. It’s very difficult to express a dislike (or a lack of like) for something without it being interpreted as a criticism. I’m not alone in feeling the brand has moved away from me, and the new logo has been a large part of that. That’s how I feel, but I have no doubt the senior management feels that my business is dispensable, given the new target market. I’ve made this next point before - a new customer is more likely to complain than a long-serving customer with many years of goodwill, and younger customers are more likely to complain publicly. I think that brings us up to date.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

I bought a second CW despite the logo, not because of it. Would I be more likely to purchase another if the logo was at 12, yes definitely.

The specs in terms of automatic movement, case finishing, level of detail on the applied indices, fully lumed ceramic bezel, QR bracelet with ratchet clasp etc. is unrivalled at the price point IMO which outweighs the logo issue.

Whilst the logo position at 9 isn't ideal for me, it is the font that I feel less positive about. Would much prefer something a little more expressive or flamboyant but I guess that is against the modern, anti-watch industry simplicity that they set out to achieve. Must have been the easiest design job for the creative consultants that they engaged though!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

TheBeatles wrote:I did say I preferred the old logo at 12 but having worn the new logo at 9, I can honestly say I hardly notice the logo and enjoy the watches in general.

So my initial thoughts of not buying due to the logo have certainly been changed and further purchases are very likely.
I’m in agreement with Brian on this - initially I was not a fan of the logo, but in real life, I’ve found it to be ... simply a logo. I find it to be nowhere near as prominent in person as it seems to be in photos, so thankfully I’ve managed to accept that it is what it is.

Would I prefer that it was at 12? Yes, but honestly, when I received my Dartmouth (with the new logo at 12) at no point did I ever think “thank god they’ve shifted the logo”. Until I wrote that sentence, I don’t recall even thinking about it. It is what it is... for me at least. Image
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

I've only ever owned CW's with the logo at 9 as relatively new to the brand. Can't say it bothers me either way as it's the other qualities of the watch that drove my decision to buy.

If it was me running the show I would have started off with a one name brand just because I find it better on paper and out of the mouth but I'm sure they've spent a lot of time, money and effort getting to the decisions they've made and going strong so no way are they going to change it now.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
msdsx
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by msdsx »

I discovered the brand, and bought my first CW, with the new logo and position. I did this without seeing the criticism so wasn't influenced by it one way of the other. In other words i came to ghe brand with no preconception. My first thought when seeing older logos was that they looked old fashioned, especiallly the Chr. Ward.

I suspect that if I had started sooner I might not have liked the new one. Partly a function of the natural resistance to change maybe? And given the increase in sales since, it would be hard to argue the new logo is anything other than positive or neutral.

I like it aesthetically, and because it's fresh and different.
Mark
"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed"
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, Rolex Milgauss, CW Trident Pro 600, C30 Malvern Chronometer, TAG Muhammad Ali Limited Edition, Bremont S300, Mercer Airfoil, Citizen, Casio, etc...
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

I much prefer the new brand device - just to be clear it’s not a logo!

I also think the 9:00 positioning works perfectly, cleans up the face on a watch without sub-dials but with a date window.

The clean look under the 12:00 really appeals to me and gives the brand a modern fresh look.

I do have quite a few CWs that have a logo at 12:00 and without the brand mark and think the twin flags work well as a subtle branding device.

To be really honest I’d probably be happier with just this kind of subtle branding and without any brand name anywhere. I’d say the same for any watch - I have no need to ‘show off’ that I have something with a flashy brand device on them. To my mind a watch is either nice or it isn’t - the name printed on the front doesn't add to quality or perception to me.

In the final analysis I respect the owners and designers of CW enough to accept they know what they are doing and they absolutely know whether the position of the brand device makes a genuine difference to their sales.

I’ve seen many spurious analyses from people trying to ‘prove’ they know better than the people who run the company, and see the sales figures every single day, but I’m going to believe the company owners ahead of the people making subjective decisions. . .
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
WeatherdoG

Post by WeatherdoG »

msdsx wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:44 pm I discovered the brand, and bought my first CW, with the new logo and position. I did this without seeing the criticism so wasn't influenced by it one way of the other. In other words i came to ghe brand with no preconception. My first thought when seeing older logos was that they looked old fashioned, especiallly the Chr. Ward.

I suspect that if I had started sooner I might not have liked the new one. Partly a function of the natural resistance to change maybe? And given the increase in sales since, it would be hard to argue the new logo is anything other than positive or neutral.

I like it aesthetically, and because it's fresh and different.
I'm in a similar boat, I have ordered a C65 Trident Auto, but have not yet held one in my hands.

Looking at the older models with the abbreviated Chr. Ward branding makes me cringe. To my eye it looks like a pretentious attempt to create a brand in the style of A. Lange and Sohne.

The current 9 o'clock fully spelled out name looks modern, and almost humble to me. It's a name, proudly displayed, but not trying to be anything but what it is.

Maybe it's my pedestrian "colonial" upbringing, but I prefer the simple honesty of the new branding.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

gaf1958 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 pm .... when I received my Dartmouth (with the new logo at 12) at no point did I ever think “thank god they’ve shifted the logo”. Until I wrote that sentence, I don’t recall even thinking about it. It is what it is... for me at least. Image
To me this highlights how everything about any watch shapes our personal preference, choice, taste or whatever you want to call it.
The first thing I thought of when I saw the photos of the Dartmouth was "Thank goodness they've moved the name to 12o'clock"

As in my previous comment on this thread and as Gary has also said - It is what it is.
Amor Vincit Omnia

WeatherdoG wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:43 am Looking at the older models with the abbreviated Chr. Ward branding makes me cringe...

... I prefer the simple honesty of the new branding.
An interesting observation from a new member. It is good to see the variety of opinions expressed on this thread, and to realise that none of the sentiments expressed is either unilateral or universal.
Steve

albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I have owned CW watches with each of the logos. My CW journey started with the V.2 (Chr. Ward) logo. I now own CWs with the v2 and v3 logo. I'm okay with the asymmetry and negative space of the v3 logo. If I like the watch I'm not going to let the word-mark or device put me off as they are part of the watch and not the only element. I did like the old logo with the W inside the C as I thought it looked classy and fir very well with a watch, especially when it was embossed on the end of the crown. I understand the use of the twin flags and I'm not letting that stop me. I recently bought a C65 B&G and will continue to buy CW watches when they make things I want to buy.
Am I easy to please? Maybe. Right now though I am more put off by the "new" hour hand on the Mk III C60. I'm not going to buy a Trident for a while because of it. Maybe as the range of colourways expands I'll change my mind.
CW are making very compelling watches at a great price point and as this allows them to grow then everything is good.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris