I Know, I Know...(Logo Opinion)

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
redmonaco
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

I Know, I Know...(Logo Opinion)

Post by redmonaco »

I know its been done to death but I bought a new trident the other day and found I couldn't live with the lack of anything noticeable on the upper half of the dial. Purely because of the unbalanced dial I won't be buying ANY of their watches that have the name at 9, which severely limits my choices with them. Note I am searching for a Trident MK11 vintage at the moment with the CHR Logo...

The improvements on the new Trident are many (although I actually prefer the bezel action on the mk11) and lift the watch even further value wise.

BUT... I am sure that balancing out the dial with Either the Logo in a noticeable properly contrasting finish Or re-positioning the Name back to where nearly every other watch in history has it (must be a reason there folks...!!) would further enhance sales.

Why wouldn't a business do that, unless they are just being pig headed about it?

Does anyone here think that there would be any LOST sales if they reverted??? I don't think so
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: I Know, I Know...(Logo Opinion)

Post by nbg »

In answer to your question - No! :)

But it wouldn’t be the first time in which people become entrenched with a view that on rational analysis is completely bonkers! :lol:

Still the position of a logo is not really that important in the grand scheme of things...

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

redmonaco wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:59 pm BUT... I am sure that balancing out the dial with Either the Logo in a noticeable properly contrasting finish Or re-positioning the Name back to where nearly every other watch in history has it (must be a reason there folks...!!) would further enhance sales.

Why wouldn't a business do that, unless they are just being pig headed about it?
It has been done to death, but interesting nonetheless that you've given it a go and found that you can't live with it.

I strongly agree with your comments above though.

I'm certain the people who have purchased with logo at 9 would still have purchased with it at 12.
But it would have also opened up a load of sales to the many that can't stand the current position as well ... and there are lots and lots in WISland.

I don't dispute CWs claims about increased sales since the rebrand, but it just so happened to coincide with increased marketing activity at CW.
Nothing to do with re-positioning/changing the logo imo.
Ryan
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

The fact they made as bold a change to begin with (when the company was doing so good!) should speak volumes. Unless sales dropped significantly due to the change they won't be reverting back anytime soon. I personally own all three logos and I like them all. I will say the changes do make CWs rather unique looking. You put 20 different watches from various companies in a lineup and the CW stands out at first glance. :erschreckt:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:01 pm I will say the changes do make CWs rather unique looking. You put a 20 different watches from various companies in a lineup and the CW stands out at first glance. :erschreckt:
...and some might say for the wrong reasons, ie it looks odd.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however and there are many that wouldn't give a fig about the logo position or even consider it.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Been done to death ? Probably but it'll still be written about and opinions given while there's still this forum.

I can't get on with the logo at 9o'clock, I've tried 2 watches with it there, the most recent being the NN Mk3 Blue GMT I bought last week that is in it's returns bag ready to go back for a refund.

The location at 9o'clock has stopped me buying CW watches that I like (e.g. C65 GMT) other than where the logo is positioned. Maybe at least 1 of the forthcoming 2020 Chronographs will be logo'd at 12.

Whether you like it, it doesn't bother you or you hate it is personal opinion which everybody is entitled to but CW will please themselves and having paid their money to a marketing/design company to provide a "disruptive" look CW won't go back on it in a big way.

To sum up - It is what it is, buy or don't buy, spend your money elsewhere.
Devarika Woulf wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:01 pm You put 20 different watches from various companies in a lineup and the CW stands out at first glance. :erschreckt:
.... except on the watches where they put the logo back to 12?
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:15 am.... except on the watches where they put the logo back to 12?
Not too many to choose from though. I'll be 100% honest and say that I greatly prefer the 2nd logo at the 12 location. The new one is just a bit small altogether. It is a neat and trim logo and meant to fit at 9. Just compare the two here and the old one has more presence:

Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

CW's best watches have the twin flags at 12 o'clock and no word mark. My Hornet is testament to that :thumbup:

Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:01 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:15 am.... except on the watches where they put the logo back to 12?
Not too many to choose from though. I'll be 100% honest and say that I greatly prefer the 2nd logo at the 12 location. The new one is just a bit small altogether. It is a neat and trim logo and meant to fit at 9. Just compare the two here and the old one has more presence:

The vintage Trident is my first CW which I know I will not sell. All of my CW watches, except one, have the second variant logo; that one watch is the C60 Ombré. I like the design cues of the Ombré a lot, to the point where I don't pay attention to the logo but when I place my two other Tridents next to it, the v3 logo then becomes very noticeable.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

jtc wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:22 am CW's best watches have the twin flags at 12 o'clock and no word mark. My Hornet is testament to that :thumbup:

I’ve also got a Hornet and call it a stealth watch due to lack of logo (other than the twin flags of course).

Is this the only watch they have made without either CW/Chr.Ward/Christopher Ward on the dial? I can’t think of any others.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote:I’ve also got a Hornet and call it a stealth watch due to lack of logo (other than the twin flags of course).

Is this the only watch they have made without either CW/Chr.Ward/Christopher Ward on the dial? I can’t think of any others.
Not the only one Patrick.

There are the other C7s of the same Motorsports range as the Hornet, perhaps you were including these.

My C7 automatic Chronograph only has the twin flags.

The C70 Grand Prix series have no word mark on the dial, merely the 'Cw' that may be considered a predecessor to the twin flags.

Then you have the two Apex models, with twin flags at '3'.

Got a feeling there have to be others.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:01 am
Not too many to choose from though. I'll be 100% honest and say that I greatly prefer the 2nd logo at the 12 location..... Just compare the two here and the old one has more presence:
Totally agree.
IMO - Shame they didn't do a "Bremont" really when they first started and choose a brand name that was a better size and length than 2 words of totally different lengths.
CW257
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by CW257 »

I've been doing a lot of research recently ahead of some new purchases, including looking at YouTube reviews, and what's amazed me was how many people clearly have an issue with the branding. If you have a look at some videos, almost all will be inundated with comments along the lines of "gorgeous watch but I can't get past the logo".

Personally I prefer the old CHR logo, but (as of yesterday) I own three watches with the full Christopher Ward logo, two at the 12 and one at the 9, so the re-brand certainly hasn't put me off.

What I think is a shame is that they dropped the 'London' from the dial as, being a Londoner, that part of their heritage is what first drew me to the brand, but I appreciate that's a completely personal preference.
PaulJS
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by PaulJS »

Number of CW watches I purchased Pre logo move =8

Number of CW watches I have purchased post logo move =0

Number of current models that I would consider purchasing but for the logo = 4

Now, I may not be typical, but I cannot see anyone being put off buying a watch because the logo is in the traditional 12 position. If we assume this to be the case then the effect on sales can only be negative.

Cheers,

Paul
The older I get the better I used to be

Trident Pro White / Blue
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

Steinhart Ocean One 39
Craig64
Senior
Senior

Post by Craig64 »

redmonaco wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:59 pm Why wouldn't a business do that, unless they are just being pig headed about it?

Does anyone here think that there would be any LOST sales if they reverted??? I don't think so
In respect of the OP’s original two questions:

I would assume that the rebranding was completed after a lot of careful consideration and research. They must have implemented the changes believing that it would be beneficial in the longer term for their brand per se. Assuming that subsequent sales have met, or indeed, exceeded their expectations, then I would not expect them to start further tinkering with the logo (both in terms of position and design).

In respect of the second question, I would be unsure on that one.

I say that because from my own point of view, I purchased zero of their watches prior to the rebranding. Since their rebranding, I purchased 4, and now have another on order.

I actually love their current branding, it looks modern and unique to them. For me that 9 o’clock position of the “Christopher Ward” is fine and I like the fact that they are not afraid to move away from what is traditionally considered to be the so called “norm”.

Have I opened the proverbial can of worms?
:?
Regards
Craig