The Curmudgeons Corner

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: The Curmudgeons Corner

Post by Mikkei4 »

Why do so many people now use the word "of" where they should be using "have"?

For example "I should of" ? No ! You should HAVE or use "should've" if you want to abbreviate the word.

And why "try and" do something ? You "try to" do something.

I may not be perfect in all elements of English Grammar but the 2 examples above of the killing of correct English drive me mad.
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

If your job is to serve food . How about you check it's bloody hot before you give it to a customer.
I'll give you a hint, that thing over there hanging up is a temperature probe. F#@king use it!
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I'm driving an hour and 45 minutes to visit for the day, arriving at noon. Is it unreasonable to expect that lunch of some sort might be offered? Tortilla chips and salsa doesn't quite cut it. Maybe I'm out of line with my expectations when hosting company, but I'd have made arrangements for lunch.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

It's incredibly frustrating as a history teacher to see my son taught by a terrible history teacher, especially when it's in a class I taught for 5 years. It's incredibly frustrating as a history teacher of 25+ years to see how badly it's taught now in an age dominated by standardized testing with young teachers who only know standardized testing as the "be-all, end-all" in the classroom.
Drew
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

£100k Range Rovers in Disabled bays getting free parking!
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

I'm not a huge Instagram user, but one thing that drives me mad, is the over use of the word "When" at the start of a description.

"When you see a cat, on a fence, blah blah..."
Why "When"???

Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Audacity drives to excellence - the slogan for the Citroen DS7 Crossback TV ad. What a load of tosh.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

News reports about the Argentine footballer, Emiliano Sala, who died in a plane crash and that the body found in the aircraft is confirmed to be his.

Not a word or mention of the Pilot whose body is still missing. :grumble:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Damn Parkingeye and their parking fines. Dropped the wife and daughter off at a concert in Bournemouth last week. I pulled into a tiny little gravel parking area to offload them and re-set my satnav for a cinema a few miles away, as I wasn’t going to the concert. It was un-lit and full of pot holes. Barely recognisable as a parking area. I was precisely 12 mins in the parking area. It’s so dark that you can’t see my car in the photos, just the number plate. They’ve just dropped a £60 fine on me.

To cap it all, I pulled into a “proper” pay and display area to pick them up later. I had to wait a few mins for them to walk to me. I’m now awaiting the second fine as I can’t imagine a proper, well marked and illuminated parking area won’t have cameras, if that back street gravel pull-in did! That was an expensive night.
Steve.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Was out at the Vet’s, with my dog, when I got a txt through on my phone. As I was in with the Vet at the time, I ignored my phone. A few more txts followed. When I was eventually able to look at them, it transpired that my wife wanted to know if I’d like to go and see The Lion King at the Bristol Hippodrome.

That was the first txt, followed by a couple more, with question marks. The final one simply said that she had the tickets in the basket and should she buy them?

I replied with a simple “yes please”. I then get a confirmation, informing me that I’ve booked and paid for 8 seats!!!! At no point in her previous communication with me, did my wife say I’d be treating the whole family and three of her friends! Of course, I’d better not ask if any of them will be reimbursing me! That would make me a Curmudgeon,, :lol:
Steve.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Everybody is a critic...

We can all do it smarter, better faster and cheaper until we own our own business and see the grand picture of the the operating costs involved that the consumers never see.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I have felt for a long time that everyone I work with is a f*cking idiot and it really frustrated me. Then I was introduced to MBTI personality testing and it made me realise and appreciate that we are all very different and I'm just in a very small 2% of people who see things differently.

So maybe I'm the odd one and everyone else at work is normal?

After a few months where I've thought about it a lot, I definitely realised today... that they're all just f#cking idiots.
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

The absolute state of public transport in this country. Every morning and every evening for the last three days the trains have been completely up the spout. Absolutely no notice of trains being cancelled, then ones that do turn up can't leave because of a shortage of staff.

To top it all off, a statement is released saying that the new timetable offers more people seats, but causes bigger problems when things go wrong. How is that a good trade off?

Not sure who the biggest moron is - them for the complete and utter ineptitude to do the one job they need to or me for paying thousands of pounds a year for the 'pleasure'.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

So, if your best mate is an inadvertent mythical pyromaniac with a penchant for unwitting destruction, keep him indoors at Christmas because otherwise a lot of mediaeval looking people will be upset and scared. On the other hand, you could just give him a Waitrose Christmas pudding.

£7 million? Two weeks filming? Probably explains why the Christmas puddings are so expensive.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

My Direct Line car insurance has just risen from £464 to £603 after 29yrs of loyal patronage and they would only knock £25 as a goodwill gesture, to keep me!!

On previous price hikes, I used to log onto their website and get a quote as if I was a new customer. They would then match that. It was always comparable to their competitors.

You now have to give details, in the application, that clearly expose you as a current customer because that now still elicits a quote of £560. They said they would match this. Whoopee! If you give a false name and a nearby address, that drops even further, so they are clearly favouring new punters over loyal ones!

I've now gone for an identical (although in some instances, better) policy with Aviva for £297 !!!!

Now imagine my eye rolling just now, when I read, on a BMW forum, of a guy who has just witnessed the exact mirror image of this scenario, with the same two companies!

He's criticising Aviva's extortionate pricing and extolling DL's great value!

It looks like jumping ship every year is the way forward.
Steve.