FLE #8 Design Vote

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Please vote for any, and only, those that you would buy.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

OPTION 1: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 2: Green gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 3: Grey gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
2%
OPTION 4: Red gradient dial & red bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 5: Green gradient dial & green bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 6: Grey gradient dial & grey bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 7: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 8: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but white seconds hand
3%
OPTION 9: Red gradient dial, red bezel insert
5%
OPTION 10: Green gradient dial, green bezel insert
4%
OPTION 11: Grey gradient dial, grey bezel insert
2%
OPTION 12: Green dial, green bezel
2%
OPTION 13: Blue bezel, blue gradient dial
4%
OPTION 14: Charcoal bezel, charcoal dial, black seconds hand
2%
OPTION 15: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 16: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 17: Black Ombre dial, black bezel
3%
OPTION 18: Black Ombre dial, steel bezel
2%
OPTION 19: Blue Ombre dial, blue bezel
4%
OPTION 20: Blue bezel insert
5%
OPTION 21: Black bezel insert
3%
OPTION 22: Blue bezel insert
7%
OPTION 23: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 24: Blue bezel insert
3%
OPTION 25: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 26: Blue bezel insert
4%
OPTION 27: Black bezel insert
1%
OPTION 28: Blue Solid Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. With Red Accents.
5%
OPTION 29: Blue Ombre Dial, Black Bezel Insert. Some Red Accents.
4%
OPTION 30: Blue Ombre Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. Red Dial Text, STEEL Case
5%

Total votes: 301

welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: FLE #8 Design Vote

Post by welshlad »

FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 am I believe there may have simply been too many options for a meaningful leader to emerge. By reducing options then the focus is concentrated.
We weren't necessarily looking for a leader to emerge from the vote. We just wanted to see which, if any, designs had the support of 25 people. Clearly, if one design had raced away then that may have been deemed the winner straight away. But if there were several in the same sort of ballpark, all above 25 votes, then we would have had another round of votes.

Having lots of options didn't reduce focus. All everyone had to do was go through each design, one by one, and for each one decide if they would buy it or not. A simple yes/no decision for each one. That would be the same for another vote with, say, just a handful of options.

The only ways we will get a different result on a further poll is if (a) people didn't understand the voting system last time but do this time (even though it would be the same system), or (b) people have changed their minds since the previous vote, or (c) different people vote this time.

If you're saying that (a) doesn't apply, as everyone understood the system last time, then (b) and (c) feels like just keeping polling until we get a viable result. But if one design scrapes in above 25, it is far from guaranteed that those 25 would still commit to buying the watch when it was ready around the middle of next year. So we really need to be comfortably above 25 if possible. And that just feels a long way off given the result of the previous poll.

I take the point that it doesn't cost anything to have another poll. But you do have to question whether we are flogging a dead horse, given the low numbers in the previous poll.

But let's see what other views are put forward and then we'll see where we get to.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

welshlad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:52 am
Having lots of options didn't reduce focus. All everyone had to do was go through each design, one by one, and for each one decide if they would buy it or not. A simple yes/no decision for each one. That would be the same for another vote with, say, just a handful of options.
That's where our opinions differ. I think that's exactly what happened. But I accept I could be wrong. It costs nothing to find out.

But let's see what other views are put forward and then we'll see where we get to.
Sounds like a plan. It really would be a shame for all the hard work to go to waste.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pmTo my mind the best, simplest and clearest process was for the FLE that produced the Blue Scooter and the Red Jag. The model was not negotiable, and the only parameters members were able to change were the colours on the dial and bezel, I believe. Probably the best FLE as well.
The Red Jag would look awesome as a Mk III FLE. Blood red polished dial, and light grey ceramic bezel. I know it wouldn't be done out of respect, but it'd look amazing nonetheless. :shock:

Konketsu wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 7:24 amImage
C60 Trident FLE JAG by Jeff, on Flickr
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Might try scrapping all those designs with less than 10 votes, and see if the numbers change. I get your initial thought process, and it's a perfectly sound idea. But, it does seem a shame to let all the hard work go to waste.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Gyelex
Junior
Junior

Post by Gyelex »

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

welshlad wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:52 am
FloridaPhil wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:28 am I believe there may have simply been too many options for a meaningful leader to emerge. By reducing options then the focus is concentrated.
Having lots of options didn't reduce focus. All everyone had to do was go through each design, one by one, and for each one decide if they would buy it or not. A simple yes/no decision for each one.
I have to agree with Phil and others here. In theory you are correct in what you are saying Steve but in practice imo there were way too many designs albeit with minor subtleties between them (sometimes hard to fathom which).
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

watchaholic wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 am Might try scrapping all those designs with less than 10 votes, and see if the numbers change. I get your initial thought process, and it's a perfectly sound idea. But, it does seem a shame to let all the hard work go to waste.
I'd suggest just focusing in on the top 2, 3, maybe 4 only. If this approach were adopted then options really need to be crystallised to the final few
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Any idea on how many members actually voted?
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

The more subtle versions there are, the more likely people are to be more 'picky' about ones they would buy.

For example, if a watch was offered with a red seconds hand and that were the only option then a certain number of people would be fine with that. If it was offered with a red seconds hand or a white seconds hand, **some** of those people will gravitate towards one or the other and convince themselves that only one is acceptable to them, potentially splitting the vote.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:29 am Any idea on how many members actually voted?
Very good question! and an obvious starting point IMHO.

I asked it in one of the previous polls and got the answer that “they couldn’t tell” :-k
Tim
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

I do think that a rerun of the vote of the top 5 or whatever would produce different results.

Steve and Kip are of course correct in that it should not produce different results – but I think it would because when faced with the reality of there being no FLE at all there would be a few people who were maybe borderline ‘hmm maybe I would buy that’ that would change to ‘ok I would buy that’.

Just my tuppence and fro the record I likely would not change my vote
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

A simple vote on any that received 15 or more votes would reduce it to the top 3.

Put 9, 22, and 30 in one last poll and see if it dies or if those that were overwhelmed/confused by so many options consolidate around one of them. As Phil and others have said, there is nothing to lose but one last vote.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Macdaz »

I tend to agree with most of the calls for one more try.

I don't think people misunderstood the 'vote for any you will buy' instruction but I do think some people probably didn't do that with a view to going for their favourites and a reduced number may focus that compromise a little. It'll be a case of x,y,z or nothing and given that choice people may be more inclined to accept something that is 97% rather than perfect.

I have no skin in the game as the ones I was interested in didn't even come close, so I'm done, but I think there is still a chance of an new FLE and it would be a shame to waste the chance.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

Numbers 9, 22 and 30 are different enough to have a last throw of the dice with one final vote. Like Macdaz above, I have no interest but can recognise the work that has gone into this FLE. It would be a shame to see it go to waste.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

At the moment, I’m not going for the FLE. But it’s interesting that me and a few others who are not in, are commenting the most.

Not a criticism, just an observation.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain