Clearance Returns

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
A684TTQARX7
CW-watches: 7

Re: Clearance Returns

Post by A684TTQARX7 »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:08 pm This has worked for many years and CW would have stopped it or fixed the glitch if it was not allowed. For some reason, the promo code does not work on the C65 22mm bracelet but worked fine for me on the C60 22mm SS bracelet, titanium bracelet and leather straps.

The UK site will have about a 8 - 10% lower price than the .com/US site after conversion through my credit card company. Paypal conversion is crap as well so make sure to charge in it GBP and not USD when you use Paypal. And use a credit card that does not charge foreign transaction fees.

So if I use this method above the price that will be declared for customs to stay w/in the no duty/brokerage fee for shipments will be in pounds & not converted to US$ so it’ll stay under the US$ 800 threshold?

Thanks
C5 Malvern Slimline LE (PUR/BLK)#02
C9 Big Day-Date (WHT/BLK)#545
C9 Moonphase (M-BL/BL)#0103
C9 Worldtimer (BL)#0456
C700 Grande Rapide (Rubber)#656
CL11 MSL Auto (BLk/BR)#2478
Magrette Dual Time WHT
Visitor Duneshore Beach
Seiko SARB017/065 SARW013
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Yeah. What I do is see what the UK price is without VAT and then bring that price to the Google converter. It converts it to USD and usually my credit card charges a few dollars more than what it lists. As long as the converter states it's well below $800 then that's all your card will be charged and what customs puts down. That's what I did and DHL is delivering my watch today with no fee.

Also, as nordwulf said never use Paypal's converter. It's terrible. Do note that the GBP to USD exchange rate changes on a daily basis. Before the recent Brexit process from Johnson it was a good 1.23. Now it's at 1.29. Quite a difference. :thumbdown:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:57 pm
Also, as nordwulf said never use Paypal's converter. It's terrible. Do note that the GBP to USD exchange rate changes on a daily basis. Before the recent Brexit process from Johnson it was a good 1.23. Now it's at 1.29. Quite a difference. :thumbdown:
But to put that into perspective, in the year leading up to the UK voting to leave the EU (June 2016), the dollar was trading as high as $1.60 to the GBP, and still at $1.48 on the day of the vote. So your USD is still mighty strong against our weak GBP whatever way you look at it. When I bought my first proper watch (Tag Heuer) in the States in the noughties, I think it was about $1.85 to the GBP. So I feel more sorry for us on the currency front than you I'm afraid! Our US holidays and any purchases from the US are eye wateringly expensive these days.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Eat My Goal
Junior
Junior

Post by Eat My Goal »

Thegreyman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:16 pm
But to put that into perspective, in the year leading up to the UK voting to leave the EU (June 2016), the dollar was trading as high as $1.60 to the GBP, and still at $1.48 on the day of the vote. So your USD is still mighty strong against our weak GBP whatever way you look at it. When I bought my first proper watch (Tag Heuer) in the States in the noughties, I think it was about $1.85 to the GBP. So I feel more sorry for us on the currency front than you I'm afraid! Our US holidays and any purchases from the US are eye wateringly expensive these days.
When i went to the States for 3 weeks in 2007 I got $2 to the GPB!!!!!
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Eat My Goal wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm
My wife and I (we weren't even engaged back then mind you!) went to Florida and did all the theme parks etc when it was that exchange rate. Even at exorbitant theme park prices, it still felt like we were living like royalty :lol:
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

If you are using a Mastercard, you can use their website: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consume ... rency.html to see what your credit card will charge you in your local currency. I would guess Visa must have a similar website.

As Frank (Nordwolf) mentioned, use a credit card that does not charge foreign currency transaction fees. Here in the USA, I use a JetBlue Mastercard issued by Barclays. It has no annual fee, no foreign currency transaction fee, accrues 1 JetBlue mile per every $1 spent on any purchases, and 3 miles per every $1 spent on JetBlue airfares.
Best regards,
John
Eat My Goal
Junior
Junior

Post by Eat My Goal »

jtc wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:37 pm
Eat My Goal wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:22 pm

My wife and I (we weren't even engaged back then mind you!) went to Florida and did all the theme parks etc when it was that exchange rate. Even at exorbitant theme park prices, it still felt like we were living like royalty :lol:
It was brilliant - we did Vegas, all the theme parks in Orlando and Miami :)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Bident wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:34 pm If you are using a Mastercard, you can use their website: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consume ... rency.html to see what your credit card will charge you in your local currency. I would guess Visa must have a similar website.
Amex also has this functionality.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
A684TTQARX7
CW-watches: 7

Post by A684TTQARX7 »

Thanks everyone for the information.

Now for a twist I just found out that daughter & hubby w/be in UK during Thanksgiving week on a recruiting trip. What happens if I purchase/pay for watch based on the info that has been provided in thread from the USA, but darling daughter & hubby visit Maidenhead to pick up watch & bring back to states?

Will they have to declare it? Remember the purchase will be made & paid for stateside but picked up locally?

Can this work? Pros-Cons?

Thanks
C5 Malvern Slimline LE (PUR/BLK)#02
C9 Big Day-Date (WHT/BLK)#545
C9 Moonphase (M-BL/BL)#0103
C9 Worldtimer (BL)#0456
C700 Grande Rapide (Rubber)#656
CL11 MSL Auto (BLk/BR)#2478
Magrette Dual Time WHT
Visitor Duneshore Beach
Seiko SARB017/065 SARW013
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

A684TTQARX7 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 pm Thanks everyone for the information.

Now for a twist I just found out that daughter & hubby w/be in UK during Thanksgiving week on a recruiting trip. What happens if I purchase/pay for watch based on the info that has been provided in thread from the USA, but darling daughter & hubby visit Maidenhead to pick up watch & bring back to states?

Will they have to declare it? Remember the purchase will be made & paid for stateside but picked up locally?

Thanks
You pays your money, you takes your chance.

I ordered my Halios Seaforth mk1 from the UK and had it shipped to a friend in Toronto, then visited said friend and brought it home with me.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Jcalder68 »

Thanks.
A brief phone call to CW Towers this morning and I was told that shipping was taking about 3-5 working days after an order was placed. So, landing date about this time next week...? Happy Days!

Oh, and a follow-up question about my pre-order Sandhurst suggests that might be with me for the weekend. Happier days!

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

A684TTQARX7 wrote:Thanks everyone for the information.

Thanks
My understanding of UK VAT law is that goods that are delivered to a UK address (or in this case collected from UK) should have 20% VAT added. I believe it may be possible to reclaim this VAT at the airport on departure from UK.

I could be wrong though...
Richard
Toph
Senior
Senior

Post by Toph »

That’s correct but it takes ages in the Uk and you have to drop a handwritten form in when leaving. Well last time I did this in 2014. I’m from UK originally
Cheers
downer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 pm
A684TTQARX7 wrote:Thanks everyone for the information.

Thanks
My understanding of UK VAT law is that goods that are delivered to a UK address (or in this case collected from UK) should have 20% VAT added. I believe it may be possible to reclaim this VAT at the airport on departure from UK.

I could be wrong though...
Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

Got my shipping notice this morning for the NN C65 Auto i ordered on Nov. 8th.

***update*** Watch arrived today, Nov. 14th. less than a full week after placing the order. everything seems to be in great shape. the only thing i guess i could gripe about is that it was supposed to be signed for, yet dhl decided to just open my front door and sit it on the floor inside my house without any notification or having anyone sign for the package even though we were home at the time. that's not CW's fault but not that great by dhl.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »