Bristol GTG / CW Event - Chat with Co-Founders - Saturday 2nd November 2019

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: Bristol GTG / CW Event - Chat with Co-Founders - Saturday 2nd November 2019

Post by Macdaz »

Ditto. My first, but had a great time. Potentially going to prove expensive though!

I also had the chance to have a chat to Mike and Chris. It always amazes me how open they are prepared to be out the workings of their business.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
edc900
CW-watches: 5

Post by edc900 »

Well that was a shame, I like many others couldn't get to any GTGs and was looking forwards to the feed, but unable to hear a single word, hopefully there will be more and closer to home
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

It was great to see everyone today. Sorry i did not get to speak with everyone, but I did try.

Thanks for coming and I am hopeful that some of these will be in the USA next year.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Was there any mention of a Black Friday discount this year? I suspect not as there is the £100 voucher, but they might run something in parallel for higher value watches.....
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm Was there any mention of a Black Friday discount this year? I suspect not as there is the £100 voucher, but they might run something in parallel for higher value watches.....
There was no specific mention of a Black Friday discount.
However, talking to a couple of forum members the general consensus of opinion would be to expect a 15% discount across the range.
(Caveat: whether that would include special or limited editions ?)
This would make the higher end watches a better deal than using the £100 voucher.

I would image that any higher discounts, e.g. 30%, would only be found in the Clearance section of NN watches.

Note: This is my personal understanding and thoughts.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

StrapMeister wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:49 pm
Kansas City Milkman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 pm Was there any mention of a Black Friday discount this year? I suspect not as there is the £100 voucher, but they might run something in parallel for higher value watches.....
There was no specific mention of a Black Friday discount.
However, talking to a couple of forum members the general consensus of opinion would be to expect a 15% discount across the range.
(Caveat: whether that would include special or limited editions ?).
This was the case last year and it included limited editions.

Edit: there were also £100 discount vouchers around in October last year just beforehand.
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

Thanks both, will wait and see what the next couple of weeks brings
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Come on CWL! I couldn’t decipher the first minute of the recording and gave up. There are great tripods for the camera, and YouTube videos on getting proper sound. Lack of focus on technical aspects...just another data point.

Is there a summary or transcript?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

No summary or transcript (that I am aware of) but I will, as usual, be posting answers to the questions that I put forward on behalf of forum members.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm No summary or transcript (that I am aware of) but I will, as usual, be posting answers to the questions that I put forward on behalf of forum members.

Guy

I'm assuming Guy that you (the mods) have fed back to CW that the current YouTube setup, which I'm assuming is a phone on a Tripod isn't fit for purpose and I think I'm correct in saying has been criticised by everyone on here who attempted to watch it - but no comment from the Mods!
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS

what-time-is-it wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 pm No summary or transcript (that I am aware of) but I will, as usual, be posting answers to the questions that I put forward on behalf of forum members.

Guy

I'm assuming Guy that you (the mods) have fed back to CW that the current YouTube setup, which I'm assuming is a phone on a Tripod isn't fit for purpose and I think I'm correct in saying has been criticised by everyone on here who attempted to watch it - but no comment from the Mods!
We didn't need to feed it back (at our Admin Team meeting with CW earlier this week). CW are aware of the situation directly themselves.

They will be looking into solutions for future GTG / CW events in the future.

Guy

gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
what-time-is-it wrote:

Guy

We didn't need to feed it back (at our Admin Team meeting with CW earlier this week). CW are aware of the situation directly themselves.

They will be looking into solutions for future GTG / CW events in the future.

Guy

Nobody told them that a cheap setup wouldn’t be good enough? They didn’t already learn from the previous GTGs where folks have said quality was a problem? If they are doing well financially, there is zero reason they cannot afford a proper setup—even just a small one. Or even rent one.

It just looks like they are cutting corners again. My question for the GTG was about solutions for QA/CS. . . The “cutting corners” mentality typically leaks all over every part of a business, so...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Forgot to mention. The GTG last Saturday was exactly 1 year since I last bought a watch, the C65 Trident Diver. So far I have experienced no particular urge to buy any more. The odd flicker maybe, but that’s all.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

Chaps, it's relatively easy to record a quality video for posting later to Youtube. You can mix and adjust the sound from different microphones, use a decent HD camera and do all the post-processing you want to edit it just as you need.

Glad to be proven wrong, but it's a bit harder doing a live stream without an awful lot of expensive kit, mix desk and the appropriate server to stream to the internet as it's happening.

In this case, I believe the microphone and speakers were only to amplify the sound to a local set of speakers, and the device used to capture sound and video was a humble mobile phone on a tripod, that's it.

One alternative is to continue producing the 'ghetto' live stream for those who really want to see it in real-time, but aslo to use a proper video camera (or two to capture the various speakers around the room) connected to the radio microphones, then to edit and push the video to Youtube in a few days. Might that be a compromise?
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Bahnstormer_vRS

richtel wrote:Chaps, it's relatively easy to record a quality video for posting later to Youtube. You can mix and adjust the sound from different microphones, use a decent HD camera and do all the post-processing you want to edit it just as you need.

Glad to be proven wrong, but it's a bit harder doing a live stream without an awful lot of expensive kit, mix desk and the appropriate server to stream to the internet as it's happening.

In this case, I believe the microphone and speakers were only to amplify the sound to a local set of speakers, and the device used to capture sound and video was a humble mobile phone on a tripod, that's it.

One alternative is to continue producing the 'ghetto' live stream for those who really want to see it in real-time, but aslo to use a proper video camera (or two to capture the various speakers around the room) connected to the radio microphones, then to edit and push the video to Youtube in a few days. Might that be a compromise?
Excellent suggestion Rich.

The most positive and objective comment received to date. Thank you.

Guy