FLE #8 Design Vote

Discuss Christopher Ward watches

Please vote for any, and only, those that you would buy.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

OPTION 1: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 2: Green gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 3: Grey gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
2%
OPTION 4: Red gradient dial & red bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 5: Green gradient dial & green bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
4%
OPTION 6: Grey gradient dial & grey bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 7: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands
3%
OPTION 8: Red gradient dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but white seconds hand
3%
OPTION 9: Red gradient dial, red bezel insert
5%
OPTION 10: Green gradient dial, green bezel insert
4%
OPTION 11: Grey gradient dial, grey bezel insert
2%
OPTION 12: Green dial, green bezel
2%
OPTION 13: Blue bezel, blue gradient dial
4%
OPTION 14: Charcoal bezel, charcoal dial, black seconds hand
2%
OPTION 15: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 16: Cream dial, black bezel insert, bronze bezel, bronze crown, bronze markers, bronze hands - but black & red seconds hand
2%
OPTION 17: Black Ombre dial, black bezel
3%
OPTION 18: Black Ombre dial, steel bezel
2%
OPTION 19: Blue Ombre dial, blue bezel
4%
OPTION 20: Blue bezel insert
5%
OPTION 21: Black bezel insert
3%
OPTION 22: Blue bezel insert
7%
OPTION 23: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 24: Blue bezel insert
3%
OPTION 25: Black bezel insert
2%
OPTION 26: Blue bezel insert
4%
OPTION 27: Black bezel insert
1%
OPTION 28: Blue Solid Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. With Red Accents.
5%
OPTION 29: Blue Ombre Dial, Black Bezel Insert. Some Red Accents.
4%
OPTION 30: Blue Ombre Dial, Blue Bezel Insert. Red Dial Text, STEEL Case
5%

Total votes: 301

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: FLE #8 Design Vote

Post by Kip »

This forum has developed 7 FLE’s over 14 years.

The first was developed from ideas submitted on the open forum and choices narrowed down by a series of votes. The second was done in a similar fashion. Both ended up based on existing quartz models. Movement and dial changes completed the process. The third and fifth designs were developed from scratch by an appointed commission of forum members. The third model was a groundbreaking effort that used the first manual movement in a CW watch. The fourth model was offered to us by CW if we moved quickly and we had 48 initial design submissions that ended in 2 models being built due to close voting. FLE’s six and seven were developed on the open forum. Each one of these models were unique in some way and some included features that had never been done before. One could even say that the first FLE led to the development of the C60 Trident.

Regardless of how each model has been developed there are always complaints regarding the process or the end product. However, perhaps with the exception of the third FLE (2011), members have always had major input into the development.

It has been suggested many times that we let CW offer us some designs and we just vote on them. Well guess what? That is how the process for this FLE #8 started!! Seemed that not enough people liked them so we started over. Members have selected the designs that we are now voting on. Now we are I the midst of a voting process for a final design and we cannot seem to muster enough votes to narrow it down to 1 or 2.

I have heard all the complaints about the process(es) used. Members of other groups have developed some nice designs that were not eligible, based on the voting process and guidelines here. Well now…if you liked those designs so much why not more support for them here? No one wanted to start over. Many complained of the potential costs involved. This is the process most wanted so you could have plenty of input. Well…. you have it.

Now I start hearing how efficient other groups are at producing an LE of their own. When we were smaller it was an easier process too. Whatever the final costs/designs are, I wish other groups nothing but the best of luck with their watches, because to me, the most important thing is the development of a special design that owners will love and feel proud to wear. If it helps CW than that is even better.

That said, This topic is about this FLE #8.

Frankly, at this moment, I don’t care what other groups are doing. I only care about what this forum is doing with this FLE.

Developing an FLE takes a tremendous amount of time and devotion from a few that are able to work with Photoshop. They are repeatedly developing designs based on constant suggestions. I thank all of you for your assistance. We couldn’t have got this far without you.

If you want a forum FLE, then you must vote for it. If you are standing by waiting to see if your favorite makes it, all may be lost. You must vote now or this could be the end of FLE’s for awhile. For a variety of reasons, I have stated in the past that I would not do another FLE. I need you to prove me wrong.

Today is the last day to vote!!!!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

FLE #8 Design Vote

Post by gaf1958 »

Even though the leading design is not one of the 7 that I voted for (so I will not be buying), I’m saddened to see that at this late stage it’s languishing with only 19 votes, while the nearest alternatives have only 13 or 14 votes.

Where is the passion for the FLE that seemed to exist during the design discussions; do we really only have 19 people willing to buy the leading contender, with two-thirds of that number for the next closest designs? Are we so blasé about some of the (I think) fabulous designs that have been done that we’re not, as a group, willing to ante up and buy them and meet a meagre run of 25? It does not say a lot about our collective abilities as watch designers, when previous FLE production numbers have been in the 50 to 100 range.

I’m disappointed... I really wanted to see an FLE produced, even if it’s not one that I personally will buy.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gaf1958 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm Are we so blasé about some of the (I think) fabulous designs that have been done that we’re not, as a group, willing to ante up and buy them and meet a meagre run of 25?

I’m disappointed... I really wanted to see an FLE produced, even if it’s not one that I personally will buy.
With the greatest of respect...since you are not voting for the ("fabulous design") leading contender, Gary, is your exhortation not somewhat self-contradictory?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 pm
gaf1958 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:18 pm Are we so blasé about some of the (I think) fabulous designs that have been done that we’re not, as a group, willing to ante up and buy them and meet a meagre run of 25?

With the greatest of respect...since you are not voting for the ("fabulous design") leading contender, Gary, is your exhortation not somewhat self-contradictory?
Tend to agree, Steve

I too, thought it strange that Gary was disappointed that members aren’t getting behind the FLE yet not doing so himself.

Perhaps he phrased it wrong, over to you Gary. To maybe clear up your thoughts. Which are probably about the FLE/Forum process in general rather than this particular one. By the way! also with the greatest of respect.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia

On reflection, Brian, perhaps what Gary meant is that he is disappointed that more people are not actually voting in the numbers that would see one design over the line. In truth, so are we all.

I really don't imagine for a minute that he would suggest that people should compromise themselves by voting for something they don't really want.

I voted for 7 of the C60s and would buy any of them, but it happens that my favourite is leading. But come tomorrow, and one of the Dartmouths had 24 votes, would I add the 25th? No.

Sorry if I misread you, Gary.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

To be fair, whilst the design process seemed like it had a lot of input, there was always a C65 / C60 split and it seemed like the same 8-10 people were commenting. I didn't think there would be many (any?) contenders that comfortably got to 25.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:41 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Tend to agree, Steve

I too, thought it strange that Gary was disappointed that members aren’t getting behind the FLE yet not doing so himself.

Perhaps he phrased it wrong, over to you Gary. To maybe clear up your thoughts. Which are probably about the FLE/Forum process in general rather than this particular one. By the way! also with the greatest of respect.
Seemed like he phrased it perfectly well. Clear to me that there are some designs he'd buy and he's voted accordingly.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I haven't voted as I wouldn't buy any of the options so I didn't want to ambush the result but have been reading the discussion with interest as an "outsider".

All the C60s are "out" for me as I consider the name logo to be in the wrong place. CW won't move the location on the C60 but have done elsewhere. The reds, green, greys, white on the Dartmouth based FLE don't appeal to me. So no votes from me as I can't spend close to £1000 for something I don't like (I got burned with the previous FLE so know better now).

It'll be a shame if a 2020 FLE doesn't happen as many people have put a lot of time and work in trying to get 1 done, but I do wonder how many others have not voted for similar reasons to mine. Maybe the poll should have had a "I have been interested in a FLE but none of these" option to see whether it was the designs or just lack of interest that has reduced the numbers of willing buyers.

I wish you the best of luck.
Amor Vincit Omnia

sproughton wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:23 pm Seemed like he phrased it perfectly well. Clear to me that there are some designs he'd buy and he's voted accordingly.
Hence my recantation and (if needed) apology. :)
Steve

TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:27 pm
sproughton wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:23 pm Seemed like he phrased it perfectly well. Clear to me that there are some designs he'd buy and he's voted accordingly.
Hence my recantation and (if needed) apology. :)
Same here, just a discussion with absolutely no slight or disrespect intended. If I misread, it’s my fault.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

^^^all fair.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

I have voted for the 4 designs that I would likely buy (the leading contender not amongst them) however I wonder if there were just too many options at 30 to get more of a consensus for a couple of favoured models.

It will be a shame after all the input of those who took the time to offer design ideas/tweaks as well as the substantial photoshopping efforts, if there is ultimately not enough interest to get the winning design made.

Not the end of the world though and CW have released a number of interesting new watches/variants this year so still plenty to choose from - the military range, Pepsi/Ombre/Polar Explorer C65's, new 40mm C60's etc.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:13 pm I wonder if there were just too many options at 30 to get more of a consensus for a couple of favoured models.
Hi Patrick, if we had restricted the number of votes people could make, then I would have agreed with you. But with unlimited votes for people to vote for anything they liked enough to buy, then a consensus ought to automatically emerge. The problem seems to be that it hasn't emerged strongly enough.

I've always thought that the key thing that differentiates the last few FLEs (including this one) from other LEs elsewhere is that members get to submit design ideas of their own, with the assistance of photoshoppers, and have the opportunity to have a watch made of their own design if it is popular enough. What a fantastic opportunity! And one which no other CW page/forum offers, to my knowledge. Other LEs seem to be restricted from the start to a small number of pre-prepared designs to choose from, to which a small number of tweaks can then be made. For the FLE, members can do what they want, which is the real fun and inclusive part of the process. We could have chosen any models - we settled on the C60 40mm and the C65 Dartmouth after some votes. Members could then submit any designs based on those models. We ended up with some cracking designs IMHO, so it's a real shame if none of them get sufficient support to get made, at a fairly modest threshold of 25 pieces.

But if that is the reality, then that's the way it is.

But if anyone has misunderstood the voting process and not realised that they should vote for ALL the options they would buy, then get your remaining votes in quick! :thumbup:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Some of the C65 designs seem very "homage"

Oris Redbar anyone?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

MarkingTime wrote:Some of the C65 designs seem very "homage"

Oris Redbar anyone?
Well?

There was plenty of opportunity for everyone to offer up original designs. :problem:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England