Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1
LE-fourb: Yes
Location: West of Ireland with a real turf fire keeping us warm

Crown wobble on 2nd position - normal?

Post by albionprs »

Hi All,

I've got a C60 mark 3, second hand via Ebay last week.
Noticed this morning when resetting the time back the above issue.
Is this normal, as if I recall the movement I had on my mark 2, didn't.

Send back for repair, or live with it.

Please advise your suggestions are welcome.
Life is always full of surprises
C60 - 300 Green, C65 Sandhurst; 1962 9ct Omega Auto; Tudor Black Bay GMT; Tag Heuer Monza; Omega Aqua Terra Blue; Rolex Explorer 114270
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: Crown wobble on 2nd position - normal?

Post by DavecUK »

Is the crown wobbling on the stem? Or the whole crown and stem assembly wobbling when unscrewed and pulled out....They will have a bit of lateral movement at 1st position, slightly more so at 2nd position. Pop a bit of video up on the tube and link to it, I would imagine experienced owners will be able to tell you if the amount is normal or not.
albionprs
Guru
Guru

Post by albionprs »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 am Is the crown wobbling on the stem? Or the whole crown and stem assembly wobbling when unscrewed and pulled out....They will have a bit of lateral movement at 1st position, slightly more so at 2nd position. Pop a bit of video up on the tube and link to it, I would imagine experienced owners will be able to tell you if the amount is normal or not.
Thank you for your reply. It's whole crown and stem assembly together wobbling. Sorry too old in the tooth to figure out about uploading and linking a video to this post
C60 - 300 Green, C65 Sandhurst; 1962 9ct Omega Auto; Tudor Black Bay GMT; Tag Heuer Monza; Omega Aqua Terra Blue; Rolex Explorer 114270
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

albionprs wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:00 pm Thank you for your reply. It's whole crown and stem assembly together wobbling. Sorry too old in the tooth to figure out about uploading and linking a video to this post
you can see the watch OK though ;)

Take phone, open youtube app, press camera symbol, after that it's fully guided, point the phone at the thing you want to video press record and fill in any details requested. They simply copy and paste the link into the forum. It's very easy.

albionprs
Guru
Guru

Post by albionprs »

https://youtu.be/6l_fpFoK0fI

Here you go DavecUK
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

That doesn't look good at all, but I don't have one to compare. I'd always worry it was about to snap/fall out.
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Well done on getting the video up.

If it was me, I would live with it. There is more lateral movement than there should be, but if it is still operational then I would stick with it rather than go through the palaver of returning. Then at its first service in a few years' time it could be sorted. If the crown/stem comes off in the meantime, then clearly a repair will be needed. But I'd put it down to one of the risks of buying off eBay.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
albionprs
Guru
Guru

Post by albionprs »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:18 pm Well done on getting the video up.

If it was me, I would live with it. There is more lateral movement than there should be, but if it is still operational then I would stick with it rather than go through the palaver of returning. Then at its first service in a few years' time it could be sorted. If the crown/stem comes off in the meantime, then clearly a repair will be needed. But I'd put it down to one of the risks of buying off eBay.
Thanks for advise, but would this still be covered under warranty regardless whether I'm its second owner or not?
60/60 and all that.
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

I checked on mine (bought it new from CW) and the same crown action as yours. So I think that's normal. I would be more concern if the crown couldn't completely screw into the case due to malfunctioning stem etc.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

As a second, or subsequent, owner there is a page on the CW website, to enable you to register a watch to be covered for the 60/60.

Whilst Steve's (@Welshlad) suggestion is a reasonable one I think it hinges on whether the crown / shaft stays in one piece over the next few years, until it gets serviced.

I feel, and this is just an opinion, that if it breaks and you then send it to CW, they can quite easily disallow a warranty repair on the grounds of user damage (and who would be able to categorically say it wasn't).

Mind you, a replacement crown / stem should cost in the region of £50 - £100; not a huge amount.

Judgement call to be made.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

I'm not sure I'd be worrying about that. There will likely be an O-ring on the crown stem which will act as a fulcrum about which the crown stem will 'wobble' within the tube.

Here's a quick video of one of my Trident Mk2s- I'd be surprised if the Mk3 crown/tube/stem seal arrangement was any different.

Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
albionprs
Guru
Guru

Post by albionprs »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:59 pm As a second, or subsequent, owner there is a page on the CW website, to enable you to register a watch to be covered for the 60/60

Guy

That's some good advise, I'll definitely ilook nto that. I'll monitor over the next few months and then make the call.

A big thank you all for your advice, very much appreciated
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

That's a fair bit of movement, more than would be usual. Certainly at a routine service it would be taken care of and as long as the 1, 2nd and 3rd positions work fine without any jiggling to get things to work right, it will probably be fine until the scheduled service.

Position 1 does it manually wind OK without having to do more than unscrew
Position 2 does the date change operate without having to tease it in and out for it to "catch"
Position 3 does it snap positively into 3 and hack/adjust correctly.

On a more positive note, I am pleased I was able to help you to upload youtube videos.