It's been a while (rambling thoughts and MTB content)

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

It's been a while (rambling thoughts and MTB content)

Post by james80 »

Hi Everyone, it's been a while since I've been around here but wanted to drop in and say hello and make excuses for my absence (that's assuming anyone noticed!!).

A while back I decided to cut back on forum time and focus on other things, I had started to loose interest in watches but still spent a lot of time looking and trying to decide what next, which I don't think was very healthy. Towards the end of last year I sold my UX hydro to get a used Pelagos and lost interest even more, I was alternating between my Datejust and the Pelagos and only sometimes pulling out the SKX for grubby jobs. My Makaira was packed to ship but when the deal didn't happen I put it in a cupboard as is and didn't open the box for almost a year.

Whilst all this was going on I was trying to get back on my bike (a 2010 Scott Spark full suspension with 26" wheels) and do something about my size. I'd managed to creep back up to 230lbs over the last five years or so and was starting to feel very uncomfortable. The last time I was properly riding I had managed to get down to 201 and for a reason I can't remember just stopped. I went semi regularly for a few road rides and a couple of trail rides but didn't really commit and then in May 2018 I broke the bike. I spent the next five months procrastinating about a new one and eventually ordered a 2019 Giant Trance 3 and got it last October. I rode it once and it sat in the storeroom for another three months.

On January 3rd this year I decided that was it and went for a ride, fast forward to the end of July and apart from the six weeks off for surgery I'd ridden trails three to four times a week for a total of 980 miles and a loss of 25lbs. The feeling was quite life changing, I was happier, in a much better mental state and physically so much better. A lot of my watch related time went into riding and my interest in watches or at least getting new watches had waned.

To that point I'd become a much better and faster rider but found I was on the wrong bike, the Trance is a great trail bike but it's heavy at 32lbs and has more travel than I need so the browsing and dreaming started. Long story short something had to go to get a new bike, I sold the Pelagos and I ordered a Scott Spark RC Pro, at 23lbs it promised to be amazing.

I've had the bike for two months and have put almost 500 trail and hill miles on it and it's everything I hoped. I'm trying for 5 times a week and 200 miles a month, I've managed to get to under 200lbs and have a new goal of 180 (for a total of 50lbs lost). I am happier and now have what I think is a healthier use of my time, not to be over dramatic but I'm not sure where I'd be mentally without the time on the bike and everything it brings with it, time outdoors, exercise, new and renewed friendships etc.

My feelings about watches will never go away but they have changed. I'm pretty sure if I added an Explorer at some point I'd be good. I'm happy with my collection although I do feel there is a hole where the UX then the Pelagos sat but it's a hole I can live with for now.

Thank for allowing me the space to share, I miss being here and will be around somemore.

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: It's been a while (rambling thoughts and MTB content)

Post by 0uatiOW »

Thanks for sharing. Our interests change, and sometimes change back, and it looks like you’ve found something else to concentrate on, and it’s evidently doing you some good healthwise. Keep it up!
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Really interesting to hear about your experiences over the past year James.

I agree our interest in watches, like many pastimes, can ebb and flow over time. That's why its good to have a number of interests and not let any one of them become too dominant.

Those are some fine looking two wheeled machines you have there and well done for combining your interest in bikes with getting healthier and losing so much weight, mainly though as it sounds like it has put you in a much better place with your state of mind.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Great thread James and I'm right there with you.

Cycling is excellent exercise in any shape or form and weight loss does have a dramatic effect on one's state of mind.

Lovely bike by the way.

Don't forget this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49686&start=390

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Brilliant stuff James and well done on the serious amount of weight loss
I got serious about biking again about two years ago. Lost a bit of weight and then realised that I could upgrade the bike. I sold a couple of watches and described the cost of the Canyon as 2.5 watches!

Now riding a lot more - except that on 13th Sept I had the second knee replaced. So now I'm at the stage of self torture on the old bike fixed to a turbo trainer whilst forcing the knee to bend. And oddly enough as I've not been so active, I've been buying bike bits to make up a flat bar 1X shopping bike!
There's always time for one more.
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

Love this. I completely agree that exercise is great for improving mental health. I cycle probably only about 20 a week for my commute and really enjoy it.
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by EddieTheBeast »

Great bike James, and congratulations on all those healthy, fun miles covered! PM me if ever you're cycling around the Peak District and I'll get my Giant into action!
Dean
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Congrats James on the weight loss ( I can learn from you) and will enjoy having you back here when you have time to post!
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm Brilliant stuff James and well done on the serious amount of weight loss
I got serious about biking again about two years ago. Lost a bit of weight and then realised that I could upgrade the bike. I sold a couple of watches and described the cost of the Canyon as 2.5 watches!

Now riding a lot more - except that on 13th Sept I had the second knee replaced. So now I'm at the stage of self torture on the old bike fixed to a turbo trainer whilst forcing the knee to bend. And oddly enough as I've not been so active, I've been buying bike bits to make up a flat bar 1X shopping bike!
Have you considered an e-bike? The extra assistance they give is amazing and it's definitely, definitely not cheating. The only downside is the starting price for a decent one seems to be about £1500.
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

I'm sort of in a similar frame of mind at the moment.

As the collection is pretty much feeling full and with almost everything i want, I don't really have as much interest in looking around as much now.

Chuck in moving house over the summer which took up a huge chunk of time and meant i didn't really wear a watch much- and i also broke my phone camera so also can't play watch of the day on the forum either.
On the plus side, now im more out in the country, its so much easier and more pleasant to cycle than before so i've spent more time out on the bikes over the summer, enjoying the weather and exploring the new manor.

Its easy to drift away and sometimes good to take a break :thumbup:
So many watches, yet still so little time!
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

RichM wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:10 pm

Have you considered an e-bike? The extra assistance they give is amazing and it's definitely, definitely not cheating. The only downside is the starting price for a decent one seems to be about £1500.
Yes I have, but as I've just had the upgrade, I'll keep on with the unassisted ones until I NEED to change. On Strava I can check my speed over segments and compare with others in the same age group (70-74) and as I'm near the top on many of them, I'm happy so far. I hope to actually be quicker in my 73rd year than I was last year, as I hopefully won't have the same knee pain on the hills! I'm proud to say i had the best BP and lowest heart rate on the ward!
There's always time for one more.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Welcome back, James, and with a great story!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by james80 »

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I really appriciate it, I'm always cautious about sharing as I see it as rather self serving.

I'm aiming for a total of 2,000 miles this year (need to average 50 a week to get it done) as well as being solidly under 200lbs and not floating around 199 as I am now. It's getting harder because as I get lighter and fitter my calorie burn isn't anywhere near what it was which I guess means I need to push harder on rides.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by james80 »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:23 pm Great bike James, and congratulations on all those healthy, fun miles covered! PM me if ever you're cycling around the Peak District and I'll get my Giant into action!
It's a little far from Trinidad but if I'm ever over and riding I'll PM you for sure. I'm aiming for a riding trip to North Carolina or Georiga next year.
james80
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by james80 »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:26 pm Brilliant stuff James and well done on the serious amount of weight loss

What kind of Canyon did you get? I considered a Lux but prefered the build on the Scott in the end.