Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:06 pm Not sure if this will be possible or allowed.. it is a modern interpretation of the Seamaster 300 the Dartmouth was based on. That's my final submitted design, I am done..!

I think adding digits at 3, 6 and 9 is going too far.

The standard Dartmouth dial is busy enough with all the prominent hour and minute markers, but at the same time has a simplicity to it. Adding digits is too much.

Besides, we are again moving away from the ethos of sticking to the base model (as voted on); therefore into the realm of it not being possible or allowed.

Finally, I don't like the idea of using blue, even graduated, on the Dartmouth FLE as it is too close to the standard Series 1 model. Green, red, grey, we've not seen an orange or yellow (although CW have used these recently in the C60 Trident MkII 316L models) are OK; but not blue.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

I guess this proves the old saying that opinions are like... well, you know the rest of the story.

IMO, the regular Dartmouth dial is meh and to my eyes the 3,6,9 numbers add much-added relief to the mass of slash mark indices.

I could be persuaded by the green version, but even more green than shown!

WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think adding digits at 3, 6 and 9 is going too far.

The standard Dartmouth dial is busy enough with all the prominent hour and minute markers, but at the same time has a simplicity to it. Adding digits is too much.

Besides, we are again moving away from the ethos of sticking to the base model (as voted on); therefore into the realm of it not being possible or allowed.

Finally, I don't like the idea of using blue, even graduated, on the Dartmouth FLE as it is too close to the standard Series 1 model. Green, red, grey, we've not seen an orange or yellow (although CW have used these recently in the C60 Trident MkII 316L models) are OK; but not blue.

Guy
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. The digits add something to the dial as Phil mentioned and make it a bit sportier. Let's get the forum members' opinion/vote and go from there. it is a forum LE after all.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Kip right now...

:ka: :god: :kopfwand: :löl: :escape: :hangman:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
addi564
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 12

Post by addi564 »

Strangely despite how busy the dial is I agree adding the numbers makes it appear less busy.

I like the addition of the numbers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

C60 Trident 38mm on rubber and GMT on bracelet
C6 Kingfisher black dial on rubber and white dial on bracelet
C5 FLE and C3 FLE
C65 Vintage on bracelet
Tag Heuer F1 Calibre 5
Breitling Superocean 42
Bahnstormer_vRS

nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 pm I think adding digits at 3, 6 and 9 is going too far.

Guy
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. The digits add something to the dial as Phil mentioned and make it a bit sportier. Let's get the forum members' opinion/vote and go from there. it is a forum LE after all.
Thing is we have already had this forum's vote already.

To précis from Kip's post of last night;-
Kip wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 am I realize that many of these submissions are in fun, but quite frankly, other than throwing ideas against the wall I don't get it.
Not that I mind looking at some of these terrific ideas, but we are not rebuilding a unit starting with a case. We are modifying the appearance to keep cost increases to a minimum. If we want to start all over.....again....we can go that route, but I guarantee you that the price will be considerably higher. We are having enough difficulty getting to a 25 piece order.
Guy

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

Would buy without the numerals, wouldn't buy with them
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

This is starting to get a little daft if I’m honest. The 2 models were voted on and all we are doing now is trying to push the boundaries on one of them to try and cause controversy. Yes, some of the designs are very nice, particularly the GMT with steel bezel, but not what was voted for. Things are starting to go so much off track, following a very positive and productive start, that I’m thinking of just bowing out and starting to look for something else. I can’t keep up with loads of variations just plucked out of mid air, its doing my swede in! I’m lost now as to what’s what, so good luck sorting all this lot out Kip.

If I was Kip now I’d be closing the thread and putting the C60 variations from Steve against the cream dial variations of Ryan and seeing if we can get enough interest in any of those. They all look special/different enough to qualify as an FLE to me.

For what it’s worth I like the numbers on the Dartmouth dial, in fact I like a lot of Franks designs, but it’s not what was voted on in my opinion.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pm
If I was Kip now I’d be closing the thread and putting the C60 variations from Steve against the cream dial variations of Ryan and seeing if we can get enough interest in any of those. They all look special/different enough to qualify as an FLE to me.
This, but the red and green Dartmouth better be included too :shock:
shirehorse
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by shirehorse »

If I were to go for a FLE, I think it would have to be the Dartmouth. I think changes that move the character of the original too far means it's no longer a Dartmouth and instead a (still possibly very attractive) C65 variant.

I don't think the FLE should (or would be allowed) to end up being a top-middle logo variant of an existing model. I love many of the designs on this thread, the photoshop skills are amazing.

For fun I put a collage together. I put the "more Dartmouth" mock ups on the top row. Second row has the "busy bezels", third row the plain bezels and final row the ones which seem further from the original.

Link to a larger picture: https://i.imgur.com/rzhQKbO.jpg
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

^^ you can leave all my submissions out of there as they are not approved. Kip will blow a fuse when he has to look at those again. :lol:

Very well, I guess the forum just wants a color variation of an existing model. I deleted my posts so i won't upset anybody. To be consistent with not allowing any dial changes, any Dartmouth variation should have the original bezel as well and not one from the other C65 models.

It would have been helpful if it was mentioned earlier that only color changes are allowed for a FLE. Or maybe I just missed that memo. I'll leave now. :wave:

Updated image:

DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:15 pmFor what it’s worth I like the numbers on the Dartmouth dial, in fact I like a lot of Franks designs, but it’s not what was voted on in my opinion.
I agree with that. He makes some cool designs that are original for CW but we didn't vote for major deviations. Unless CW just outright said "Do whatever you want." we're limited by the sandbox we're told to play in. :yawn:

PS: Nice work, shirehorse! :thumbup:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Bahnstormer_vRS

@shirehorse - that's and excellent collage of the C65 Dartmouths; thank you.

Makes comparing variants exceptionally straight forward.

Will you, please, be able to do a similar collage for the C60 variants we have?

Guy

Bahnstormer_vRS

nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:35 pm ^^ you can leave all my submissions out of there as they are not approved. Kip will blow a fuse when he has to look at those again. :lol:

Very well, I guess the forum just wants a color variation of an existing model. I deleted my posts so i won't upset anybody. Good luck!

If anyone wants something different, you can find them on the CW Aficionados FB group. We only need 25 interested buyers for a CWA LE..! :wave:
Thank you for your contributions Frank.

They have, if nothing else, stimulated discussion and served to clarify the direction we are headed in with the Forum LE.

Good luck in organising a CWA LE.

Guy

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

shirehorse wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:30 pm If I were to go for a FLE, I think it would have to be the Dartmouth. I think changes that move the character of the original too far means it's no longer a Dartmouth and instead a (still possibly very attractive) C65 variant.

I don't think the FLE should (or would be allowed) to end up being a top-middle logo variant of an existing model. I love many of the designs on this thread, the photoshop skills are amazing.

For fun I put a collage together. I put the "more Dartmouth" mock ups on the top row. Second row has the "busy bezels", third row the plain bezels and final row the ones which seem further from the original.

Link to a larger picture: https://i.imgur.com/rzhQKbO.jpg
Great work that :thumbup: My head doesn’t hurt as much now :D