FLE #8 design submissions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by welshlad »

^^^ Aha! I missed that one. Thanks for the pointer. I shall get onto it shortly! :)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:25 pm I like that less than the solid dial, because you can see the less interesting side of the movement.
That’s where I am. Seeing the ugly side of the movement and the full date wheel just doesn’t do it for me. I appreciate it’s different, but sometimes there is a reason why that’s the case.

So if you take the opaque dial out we’ve just essentially got a Trident with some different colours.

I’m still holding out for a Dartmouth/Splatford. I do like the blue sunburst a few posts back.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Macdaz wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:22 pm

I’m still holding out for a Dartmouth/Splatford. I do like the blue sunburst a few posts back.
Me too - although I prefer to call it the Kingswear - close to Dartmouth but a different vibe.
Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

So, for completeness, here are the blue and black bezel versions with the plain smoked dial:

Similar to what was stated above, I prefer the smoked dial with the twin-flag device embossed all over it.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

To be honest I’m fairly easy about any of them. Must be a first for me, but I’d be happy spending on any of the dials, but I much prefer the black bezel insert over the blue. There’s just something about the contrast of black and blue that I really like. On a black hybrid strap I think it’d be fantastic.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Chris, I’d be happy with the black or blue bezel as well, though preferring the blue in my case. I’m not sure I could live with that plain smoked dial, though. Might be a deal breaker for me... mind you, we need to dispose of the Dartmouth variant first!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

downer wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Macdaz wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Me too - although I prefer to call it the Kingswear - close to Dartmouth but a different vibe.
What about the inevitable Watchy McWatch face?
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^Take that man’s name, corporal!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by Magnus »

welshlad wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Magnus wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:41 am Can I revise my design idea to:
Datmouth
dark grey/charcoal face and bezel
applied Christopher Ward logo at 12 (or just printed if applied causes difficulties with price). Can this be in black? White is fine if not.
Black second hand.
white lume
Now don't shoot me here (because I think this still fits in with the design parameters ie not moving logo from original design - this is just an addition) ..... applied flag logo at 6 in black.
I haven't yet had time to do the twin flags, as they take more work as I have to remove the text at 6 first, but here is my effort at this spec - one with black logo and one with white logo. It is hard to make a black logo stand out on a charcoal dial. It would be good to get confirmation that this is on the right tracks before I progress with the twin flags. Thanks.

Think these look great! Thanks for sorting.

Hard to tell what the black text would look like but actually the white looks good as well!

The barrel (bit that joins the crown the case) could be the same colour as the dial etc as well?

Thanks for taking the time
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:44 pm Here's another Dartmouth variation I've been working on, with a light blue sunburst dial (hopefully looking a little more metallic in real life):

Try removing the minute markers from the bezel, this is way too busy...IMO. Nice dial tho.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by monkeymax »

I appreciate that I'm a bit of an outsider as I've not been participating much (if at all) to this FLE but I have been watching very closely. I'm still gutted I missed out on buying a Trident Elite (I love orange and blue combos) but at the time I told myself I didn't need to replace my Kingfisher (which has been worn daily for quite a while now!). But this - specifically the C60 - has been drawing me in (though I do really like the Dartmouth too, but the C60 feels more special). If the blue coating to the watch body is able to take daily life without scratches appearing very obviously on it on day one, it is an appealing watch. The black bezel provides a nice contrast to the blue body in my opinion and the more I look at the renderings the more I like it. I was going to ask whether it would be possible to do a cut away dial but I guess now we can see the inner workings, there's not much to look at! One of the things that draws me in about the Kingfisher is the sunburst dial and while the smoked logo'd dial is special and really nice, I do wonder if there's some way to do a pearlescent dark grey/blue dial to match the body?
Also, would it be possible for the bezel paint to be lumed?
I wonder how this would look with a black PVD bracelet...
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:44 pm Here's another Dartmouth variation I've been working on, with a light blue sunburst dial (hopefully looking a little more metallic in real life):

I like this although i think the bezel colour needs to be a bit closer to the shade of the dial. It's a bit like the Oris Clean Ocean colour and so would also look good on a C60.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

monkeymax wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:01 pm I appreciate that I'm a bit of an outsider as I've not been participating much (if at all) to this FLE but I have been watching very closely. I'm still gutted I missed out on buying a Trident Elite (I love orange and blue combos) but at the time I told myself I didn't need to replace my Kingfisher (which has been worn daily for quite a while now!). But this - specifically the C60 - has been drawing me in (though I do really like the Dartmouth too, but the C60 feels more special). If the blue coating to the watch body is able to take daily life without scratches appearing very obviously on it on day one, it is an appealing watch. The black bezel provides a nice contrast to the blue body in my opinion and the more I look at the renderings the more I like it. I was going to ask whether it would be possible to do a cut away dial but I guess now we can see the inner workings, there's not much to look at! One of the things that draws me in about the Kingfisher is the sunburst dial and while the smoked logo'd dial is special and really nice, I do wonder if there's some way to do a pearlescent dark grey/blue dial to match the body?
Also, would it be possible for the bezel paint to be lumed?
I wonder how this would look with a black PVD bracelet...
A pearlescent dark grey/blue dial. Now there’s a nice idea. Another person that agrees with me about the black bezel contrast too :thumbup:
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:05 pmI'd like to see a Dartmouth mock-up in the same steel case but a black bezel with cream/silver markers & red pip, cream/silver dial with black minute-markers, gold hands & hours with white lume, and black seconds-hand with red tip. I'd just like a visualization of it so maybe it could be worked on? It's pretty vintagey IMO.
Gonna bring this request back up to the front so it can be in the queue before it gets too late. Pretty much the typical Dartmouth with the gold features of this vintage Seamaster and the bezel of this vintage Submariner. A combo of sorts. :)
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Mikkei4 wrote:

I like this although i think the bezel colour needs to be a bit closer to the shade of the dial. It's a bit like the Oris Clean Ocean colour and so would also look good on a C60.
It does look good, but for an FLE the blue fusè colour is too similar to the standard blue for me to buy it for a premium. I’m still pretty keen on the green/red fusè dials with bronze bits... They look even better to me.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier