FLE #8 design submissions

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: FLE #8 design submissions

Post by sproughton »

My issue with the original C60 hands is that it doesn't bring to mind a new watch, just a reminder of watches that have already been produced and are being phased out. And regardless of the case, it will always date the watch rather than appear contemporary.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

While I really appreciate the efforts of those that are contributing their Photoshop skills, as I have none, It would seem that we are getting little input or feedback from others.

I would also recommend that we attempt to keep things as simple as possible. While moving into designs that include partial bronze cases/bezels may be nice, I fear that this will push our costs considerably higher. I would strongly recommend we keep changes as simple as possible while still providing something a bit unique. We do not want to lose the the core vision of the base designs. We are, after all, only talking about 25 -50 pieces. Some of our most popular FLE's have been simple changes.

Yes we can change the hands and even the movement (to create a date model in the Dartmouth), but I would tend to keep the focus on the dial.

The C60 actually gives us more options as we have the base model to work with as well as the original options offered by CW here.

I am not saying that we cannot be as creative as we want. What I am saying is that simpler is better and probably more efficient and less costly. We just don't want to lose the focus or core look of the models that we voted on.

I will also state again, that the logo will not be messed with based on the positioning of the base models. However, we can alter all other dial print.

The case back of the Dartmouth will be be changed from the military version to a standard C65 with custom engraving. The C60 will have custom engraving added.

Perhaps a bit of a reset is in order to our thinking.

C65 Dartmouth Series 1 (41mm)

C60 Trident Pro 600 MkIII (40mm)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

My preference is still something based on the PVD C60 using yellow highlights
thumperstain
CW-watches: 7

Post by thumperstain »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm My preference is still something based on the PVD C60 using yellow highlights

I agree. It's not I don't like the look of the Dartmouth, but I can buy one myself - the only difference being the dial color. What I can't buy myself is the blue PVD. That interests me more than simple dial changes.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

I've been holding off commenting as I didn't want to contribute to the choice being a likely non-buyer because I can't get past the 9o'clock logo on the C60, I wouldn't want another non-GMT C60 anyway and I consider that the Dartmouth is already in it's best configuration, although a cleaner less busy bezel would be nice.

So as an outsider I think the PVD C60 with maybe minor changes to the dial would provide the out of the ordinary, can't buy that anywhere else watch to make a worthy FLE.

Best of luck.
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Magnus »

Hi Kip - so to be clear we cannot have the Dartmouth with a twin flag logo at 12 - rather than Christopher Ward logo?
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
Magnus
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by Magnus »

Magnus wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:12 pm The Dartmouth in a very dark grey/charcoal would be superb.

Raised twin flag logo at 12.

Black second hand with white lume/tip

I don't know how to do photoshop but if one of our experts could make a mock up it would be much appreciated.
^^^^^In the spirit of keeping things simple per Kip's post ^^^^
2015 FLE, 2013 FLE, C60 Black, C11 Makaira Pro 500 Blue, C8 Pilot Mk II, , C7 Rapide MK I, C4 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.
Corum Admirals Cup
Stowa 1938 Chronograph
Vintage Certina
Tag Heuer F1
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Kip wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:34 pm What I am saying is that simpler is better and probably more efficient and less costly. We just don't want to lose the focus or core look of the models that we voted on.
An additional $250 and 8-9 month wait would require something unique for me, a few small color changes just doesn't do it. Guess I was thinking a bit too far outside the box and the new design direction doesn't really do it for me. It will be interesting to see what ideas others will be coming up with. The C60 is out for me because of the well known issue and can't see myself paying $1,200 / £1000 for a C65 with minor changes. Good luck!
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

So if it were a no date C60, we wouldn't be able to move the "christopher ward" text to 12 like the dartmoth? I was going to do a mockup, but figured I'd ask before I waste time... Logo wouldn't look good at 9:00 without the date window to balance it.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm Ok, here is the C60 Blue Everything and the C60 Midnight with minimal yellow accents - partly because less is more and partly because they take a surprisingly long time to do well... :oops:

If at all possible, will one of our photoshop experts take these two C60s with yellow highlights (bezel triangle and 'automatic') and;-

1. add yellow to the bezel markers from the triangle to, and including, the '20', plus

2. yellow to the tip of the seconds hand, including the lume dot and a millimetre or two of the shaft (to bring it level with the hour markers).

It may be too much, but it might look good. It will be great to be able to compare.

Thanks in advance.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

How dare you asking for moving the logo.. :lol:
srs1286 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 pm So if it were a no date C60, we wouldn't be able to move the "christopher ward" text to 12 like the dartmoth? I was going to do a mockup, but figured I'd ask before I waste time... Logo wouldn't look good at 9:00 without the date window to balance it.
Kip wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm
We can get an applied device i.e. the Twin Flags, at 12 but there will be NO Logo changes or moves; so please don't ask.

We can alter the dial print (not the logo).
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm How dare you asking for moving the logo.. :lol:
lol :stick2:

Not ill intentioned and genuinely feel it makes sense as that's what CW did on the dartmoth. Guy mentioned a no date which would be unique to the C60 but the logo makes little sense without something to balance it and creates further issues with what would become a single shortened baton.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Surely there has to be an even playing field here.

I mean ... a C60 is available with blue PVD finishing and custom smoked dial amongst other minor tweaks, but it'll be cost prohibitive to use a bronze bezel & crown that already exists in the parts catalogue on the Dartmouth?
Ryan
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

srs1286 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 pm
nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:47 pm How dare you asking for moving the logo.. :lol:

Not ill intentioned and genuinely feel it makes sense as that's what CW did on the dartmoth. Guy mentioned a no date which would be unique to the C60 but the logo makes little sense without something to balance it.
You think? CW doesn't think so.
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c65-trident-diver-1

Even though the talk is CW finally came around silently admitting it wasn't the greatest idea with the release of the new military models.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

nordwulf wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm
srs1286 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Not ill intentioned and genuinely feel it makes sense as that's what CW did on the dartmoth. Guy mentioned a no date which would be unique to the C60 but the logo makes little sense without something to balance it.
You think? CW doesn't think so.
https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c65-trident-diver-1
Looks like I saved myself an hour then lol. It's just throwing darts at this point.