C65 Trident Vintage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
CraigP

C65 Trident Vintage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Post by CraigP »

Probably a hard one to answer, but I'm torn between the above two. The CW would be a cash purchase at £595, while the Tudor would mean me selling a Tudor Black Bay to fund the purchase. I currently have the Tudor plus four other bracelet watches and really fancy a change.

Anybody been in a similar position? Is the Tudor worth what is essentially a grand more. Should I try and go second hand, although this seems a fairly rare watch? Worth waiting for a CW sale? Is the CW worth £595? I honestly don't know...

Any other general thoughts on the CW, good or bad, would be much appreciated.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Re: C65 Trident Heritage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Post by MarkingTime »

I take it that you mean the C65 "Vintage" and not "Heritage".

The MK2 is nice, but the BB 36 is nicer still and appreciably so.

If you are patient and careful, you'll get a mint BB36 for less than twice the cost of the Mk2.

As for "worth", that is very subjective and entirely down to each individual.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

I myself am in the market for a watch that has aesthetics similar to those from the 1970s/1980s. My music, culture, and personal interests have been rather old-school lately. I want a watch that reflects that so I've been looking closely at the whole C65 line.

From the pictures, it's obvious that the Tudor has better finishing, a better movement, a better bracelet, etc. Of course; it's a budget version of the current Rolex Explorer. It's inspired by vintage watches, but it's far too chunky to really represent that. Plus, it has a flat sapphire crystal. It's a modern watch.

From the slim case to the printed dial and the box crystal, the C65 has the looks of a real vintage watch. If you can get it on sale (which will happen around Black Friday), you'll get quality that far exceeds it's cost. The Tudor doesn't have what I'm looking for so I'm not into it. But if you want a vintage-style watch the C65s are where it's at right now. They are very hard to beat in that category.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Although I am a fan of Tudor, I’m not that keen on the BB36 and would go down the CW route as the C65 vintage mk2 is a fine looking watch
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Out of those 2 I think I’d be going for the C65. However, neither of them would be on my list at 36-38mm as I think there are nicer things about in that size.
CraigP

Post by CraigP »

Apologies, yes, I meant Vintage - not Heritage.

I'm not sure where I'm going to get a BB36 for less than £1200. But if you can show me, I'll buy it now!

I really appreciate all the comments. I do fancy a CW but I think the first step is going to be to try a BB 36. I love the Tudor I currently have, and think it's incredibly close to the Submariner and Milgauss I also have. I think that deep down I'd love the CW to be equally close to the Tudor - that would make it a massive bargain!

Perhaps what I'm hoping for is simply not realistic. As above, first step is the Tudor. But more than happy to take any other suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

CraigP wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:41 pm Apologies, yes, I meant Vintage - not Heritage.

I'm not sure where I'm going to get a BB36 for less than £1200. But if you can show me, I'll buy it now!

I really appreciate all the comments. I do fancy a CW but I think the first step is going to be to try a BB 36. I love the Tudor I currently have, and think it's incredibly close to the Submariner and Milgauss I also have. I think that deep down I'd love the CW to be equally close to the Tudor - that would make it a massive bargain!

Perhaps what I'm hoping for is simply not realistic. As above, first step is the Tudor. But more than happy to take any other suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.
For any other suggestions could I ask if there must be a bracelet option?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: C65 Trident Vintage MK2 or Tudor Black Bay 36mm

Post by Kip »

CraigP wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:41 pm Apologies, yes, I meant Vintage - not Heritage.

I have changed the topic title. Sorry, but it was making me crazy. :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
CraigP

Post by CraigP »

TigerChris wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Many thanks in advance.
For any other suggestions could I ask if there must be a bracelet option?
Bracelet option not needed. I've got far too many of those already!
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

The movement in the BB36 isn't necessarily any better than the C65, but that depends on whether or not you go for a newer model with in-house movement, also define "better".
The problem with the C65, in my eyes at least, is that it is a pastiche, mixing old and new styles to be a very "now" watch. The BB36 still takes cues from an earlier time, but remains classic in style and it will always look good, it is balanced, clean and neutral.
There is also the second hand value to be considered, "vintaged" watches, particularly the CW range, do not hold their value nearly so well as their standard models. This might actually play in your favour if you wanted to pick up a used C65, as they can be had for less than £300 in mint condition.
To find such examples takes patience and a bit of research, but it can be done.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

As a heads up, there is a BB36 in SC at the moment but I’m not sure if you can see it
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

TigerChris wrote:As a heads up, there is a BB36 in SC at the moment but I’m not sure if you can see it
@CraigP should be able to see it.

Only needs five posts.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
CraigP

Post by CraigP »

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'd probably want a black face BB but will try and check out a blue faced watch this weekend.
Alex r
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Alex r »

Not seen or handled any of the new CW's so can't comment on quality value etc.
The Blackbay 36 would be probably beat the SMP to be my one watch. The finishing I think is above the SMP. The bracelet could do with a half link but that is a minor issue. The hands you either love or hate but the polishing and the way the edges catch the light against the ink black dial and the polished edges on the case elevate the whole watch giving it a subtle refined presence that feels bigger than the specs would have you believe.
Would definitely look to try one on, I found the leather strap option to be too thick around the deployment. The bracelet and NATO for me fit better and made the watch feel completely different. Also tried the 41 as a comparison. But found it too large and thought the face looked too spread out and was missing something when compared to the 36.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Emjay

Post by Emjay »

@Alex r: that is a beauty of a watch and very likely my next purchase (despite already owning the BB red). One thing I couldn't make out in any reviews tho, maybe you can help: does it have antireflective coating? Some suggest it has, some say it doesn't. The crystal seems to reflect light a lot but maybe only because it's flat?