FLE #8 - major changes

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: FLE #8 - major changes

Post by Macdaz »

TigerChris wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm I think before we start throwing mock ups about a correct process needs to be put in else it’s just gonna end up how it did before. Voting on the model to base it upon I think needs to be the first step. I really want to see it happen but we need to give it the best chance.
I agree 100%. Is it worth also setting up a list of people interested in any LE, we can then vote on specific things, and people can declare themselves out if they don’t like the winner after each vote. That would remove all the tactical voting and the confusion over voting for all you would buy.

It also makes it easier if people don’t get their first choice but are still in.

If you want to get really funky we could use a PR approach so we rank choices in order of preference and losing votes are reallocated until there is a winner. It’s another good way to keep people in when they don’t always get their first choice.

I’ve said it before-I can’t help myself. I like numbers!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:31 pm
TigerChris wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:53 pm I think before we start throwing mock ups about a correct process needs to be put in else it’s just gonna end up how it did before. Voting on the model to base it upon I think needs to be the first step. I really want to see it happen but we need to give it the best chance.
Is the choice of "what model" dependant upon the desired/preferred bezel material?

Some posters have said previously they wouldn't be interested if the bezel was Ali but was this Ali on a Trident or Ali in general?

If the majority want a ceramic bezel then the model HAS to be the Trident. If the base model is the Dartmouth then it'll be a narrow Ali bezel that could have lumed numbers and markers (and a logo at 12o'clock on the dial). If the base model is the C65 then it'll be a narrow Ali non-lumed bezel (presumably).

.... and somebody thought it'd be easy to get 25 definite purchasers :D
What about those who prefer no bezel :lol:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Macdaz wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:32 pm
I agree 100%. Is it worth also setting up a list of people interested in any LE, we can then vote on specific things, and people can declare themselves out if they don’t like the winner after each vote. That would remove all the tactical voting and the confusion over voting for all you would buy.

It also makes it easier if people don’t get their first choice but are still in.

If you want to get really funky we could use a PR approach so we rank choices in order of preference and losing votes are reallocated until there is a winner. It’s another good way to keep people in when they don’t always get their first choice.

I’ve said it before-I can’t help myself. I like numbers!
Looks like you might just have volunteered to sort out a voting system :lol:
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Personally, at this early stage of the re-start I don't see the need to start restricting ourselves to a particular case/model. Let's just see what ideas emerge and then take it from there.

Also, I wouldn't infer too much from the previous comments about aluminium bezels. They were made in the context of a C60 GMT. For other models, e.g. the C65, the same people may be happy with an aluminium bezel. I know I would be.

I've always thought that an FLE should have something different about it, something that isn't available in the standard range. That's why the Blue PVD and transparent smoky dial mock-ups from CW were intriguing. It would be good to see some more ideas of "something different" whether or not they include these suggestions from CW. I will be wracking my own brains to try to think of something!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

welshlad wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:49 pm

I've always thought that an FLE should have something different about it, something that isn't available in the standard range. That's why the Blue PVD and transparent smoky dial mock-ups from CW were intriguing. It would be good to see some more ideas of "something different" whether or not they include these suggestions from CW. I will be wracking my own brains to try to think of something!
Now that I 100% agree with. I know a few of us said the same before. CW have offered a few things that are totally different to the norm, it would be a real shame not to utilise some.
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

gaf1958 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Maybe someone with more skill at PS could re-do this if there is any interest in it...

The current CW military collection, although interesting; has no emotional connection for those members living outside the UK. Since the forum is an international forum, perhaps a NATO version based on the above with a NATO FLAG deep stamped case back and perhaps a bonus FLE custom NATO strap.
8DA26EE1-B378-4DED-88A8-E7A38DBF7DFD.jpeg
Tongue back in proper orientation...carry on.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

I'd be interested in a Dartmouth version without the military connection on the case back whether it be an FLE or not as i have not connection to the military.
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Since the consensus seems. at least to me, to want to start from scratch, how about I put up a poll of all models (except LE's) and you can vote for 2 or 3 models you would like to see used as a basis for an FLE.

Based on having 2 -3 models we could then start working on designs. If multi size models make the cut, we narrow the size down next. This will also tell us if there is enough interest in a given model and size to continue. If enough interest we work on designs followed by elimination voting.

We followed a similar path for the 2015 FLE with reasonable success.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Kip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 am Since the consensus seems. at least to me, to want to start from scratch, how about I put up a poll of all models (except LE's) and you can vote for 2 or 3 models you would like to see used as a basis for an FLE.

Based on having 2 -3 models we could then start working on designs. If multi size models make the cut, we narrow the size down next. This will also tell us if there is enough interest in a given model and size to continue. If enough interest we work on designs followed by elimination voting.

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:
Toph
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Toph »

Great idea - thanks for the efforts!
Kip wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:02 am Since the consensus seems. at least to me, to want to start from scratch, how about I put up a poll of all models (except LE's) and you can vote for 2 or 3 models you would like to see used as a basis for an FLE.

Where no counsel is the people fall but in a multitude of counsellors there is safety
Instagram @tophstewart
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Well, for what's it worth, from AVO's post, stick the dial from 2 into the watch at 3 and even I would consider buying it!
'Tis me
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Yes Kip I think we need you to do that please otherwise it'll become the 2021 FLE.
FlyboyChris
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by FlyboyChris »

Definitely sounds like the way to go Kip. Thanks again for your work on this!
peter160866
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by peter160866 »

I would have been happy with aluminium .... and 40 mm but would still purchase if 42 mm
C60 - Khaki, Early Malvern, 2015 LE, C10 Aviator, Jump Hour, Black Trident Vintage