Why Keep This Forum Going?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Bounce
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by Bounce »

A forum is only as good as its members & there are some very interesting & knowledgeable members on here.
I like reading about positive & negative issues people have with their watches as it increases my knowledge as well.
Obviously the bigger CW get the more negative issues people will have, but there will also be a lot more happy owners as well.
I for one will continue to support this forum as I very much enjoy it.
Panerai Luminor GMT.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tudor Harrods BB
Bremont ALT1 World Timer
C60 Trident MK3 GMT.
C60 Trident MK3 Tide.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

welshlad wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 pm Barrie, I don't look at the CWE page in too much detail nowadays, so your awful news passed me by. But it's great to hear that some of the guys on the page reacted the way they did. And also that the guys at CW helped out too.
Similar with me. I have been trying to control what I see on my Facebook newsfeed, and that included CWE, as my feed was getting swamped with watch pictures. Therefore I obviously missed that. My sincere condolences to you and your family, Barrie.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

@Barrie,
However belated it may be, please allow me to offer my condolences to you and your family for your terrible loss.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

Molan wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 pmmy gorgeous grandson who died two months ago.
Fffffff...
I've got three of those, and a granddaughter. All of them are older than your grandson was.

I can maybe begin to try to imagine what ordeal that put you through, but that's it.
However, slag them off and complain and you’re looking at pages and pages of replies. Go figure. . .
Yes, I know what you mean. We usually call that "welcome to the Internet".
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

welshlad wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 pm Barrie, I don't look at the CWE page in too much detail nowadays, so your awful news passed me by. But it's great to hear that some of the guys on the page reacted the way they did. And also that the guys at CW helped out too.
Yes, it’s been lovely to see positive messages from people, many of whom I only know through their love of watches in general and CW in particular.

The school said if we raised £500 they’d be really happy, we set a target of £1,500 but we’ve actually hit just under £8,000 now!

Looks like it’s topped out now and first meeting to talk about things that will benefit the school and be some form of memorial to him will be happening soon.

He was one of the most popular boys in the school with both teachers, parents and his classmates so it’ll be nice to have something there for them all to remember him by.
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

I've been around the forum for about two years and currently own eight CW watches. I like CW. But at this point I only check the forum once or twice a week and respond...rarely (I haven't even bothered to update my signature). For me, and I suspect many others, our decline in participation wasn't based on a logo change or the brand focus, but much much simpler. Here are my main three reasons.

1. As some of the initial posts mentioned, a common occurrence is for meaningful watch-focused posts to garner little-to-no attention or conversation, while certain members can post about a "dog walk" or "doctor's visit" and garner five pages of discussion. I got tired of it. Facebook threads in watch groups have more interaction and meaning, and that's saying something given the platform. That is where I started to drift...

2. The (lack of) ease when posting and sharing content. If you can't drag and drop a photo into a web interface for the purposes of sharing and it not look hideous by default, or easily post links and videos without tags, etc...you are behind the times and participation will suffer. Plain and simple. I can't count the number of times I've considered posting or sharing, or even logged in and started the process, and then decided it's not worth the effort since few to nill people will respond to my effort anyway (because my post would be about watches and more meaningful than my daily routine or a complaint).

3. To the last word of the preceding point, the dominant negativity. Sure there is negativity in all places, but it has settled in here too much for my liking. And I'm not talking solely about negativity toward CW. People are welcome to air their likes and dislikes, pros and cons, as they wish, go for it. But watches are a luxury item and I am a person that likes to keep things light, educational, and friendly regarding non-essential accessories. I do love my watches, but c'mon...deal with it like an adult...and it's just STUFF.

That's my perspective.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Points one and three I understand and to a large extent agree with. Leaving aside some of the very personal stories about life changing events and circumstances, which deservedly attract attention and comment, it is more than a little galling to see really trivial posts garnering more attention than those which are or seek to be informative, well researched and, as you say, horological.

Point two: I don’t mind working to craft a decent post or response, and I do find attaching photos quite easy now. I also like to be able to find the thread easily the next day, week, month, or even year! I can do that on the forum. Facebook is too “of the moment”. So on that I shall beg to differ.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

I don't find posting photos that difficult however for the 'cw/non cw of the day' most of the time I can't be bothered taking a photo of what I am wearing, if there was a 'like' feature where posters could acknowledge they appreciate the watch or photo I may be more inclined to.
I also don't (can't) wear a watch around the house, my autistic son (bless him), doesn't like me doing so and prompts me to take it off!

The fact it's rare I get a reply to any of mine doesn't necessarily discourage me, however it doesn't encourage me either.
With guys drooling over Omega's and Rolex's if I am wearing a cheap Fossil I am unlikely to get the same attention I guess.

Overall I as I commented earlier I do like the forum a lot - I am not a watch expert by any means but I have learnt so much....but that has cost me quite a few quid in the process!
Johnny
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I certainly agree with the views about the forum becoming more interactive and helpful (provide a gallery hosting service for example), but the platform would need to change for that.

Forums have peaks and troughs, but in general, I think most, whatever their subject matter, have settled down to lower numbers than the peak participation of a few years ago.

Personally, I prefer forums to facebook. I joined several groups there at one stage - everything from St. Ives to 4 fb pages about where I live. I have reduced that to 3 in total, now none of which flood me with posts.

I view forums as a resource, I view fb largely as a way of liaising with friends and family, primarily because the format doesn't really lend itself to much else. But that is now being challenged by Line, WhatsApp etc.
'Tis me
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Kip wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pm @Barrie,
However belated it may be, please allow me to offer my condolences to you and your family for your terrible loss.
Just read this about the tragic loss of your grandson Barrie, heartfelt best wishes to you and your family. It was nice to read the reaction from the FWE group and CW.

Puts into perspective there's more to life than watches, albeit it is the common interest in them that had allowed us all to cross paths.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Thegreyman wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:48 am
Kip wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pm @Barrie,
Just read this about the tragic loss of your grandson Barrie, heartfelt best wishes to you and your family. It was nice to read the reaction from the FWE group and CW.

Puts into perspective there's more to life than watches, albeit it is the common interest in them that had allowed us all to cross paths.
Thanks Patrick & Kip,

In the spirit of “why keep this forum going” then the community here has been sending lovely messages both publicly and privately and generously donating to the charitable fundraiser which, in turn, has made the parents, teachers and family feel good :)
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

with regards to the FLE decision, i wrote the below but it got deleted

"and some of you wonder why the FB group is more popular(and able to produce an LE), this thread in parts is a dogs dinner"
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

^^^ makes sense that it was deleted as not adding any value other than making it more of a 'dog's dinner'.

That thread does need to remain a bit more focused though I don't see any relevance to the FB group.
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

The forum is still valuable to CW, because it shows they are a 'real' company, not just a fancy website.
I bought my first CW after reading the forum, which gave me the confidence to buy.

The company does seem to have a disdainful attitude toward the forum.
They appear to read it occasionaly, but will never post anything.
Lots of young companies like fintechs have forums in which the company and customers are in constant dialogue. It's part CS, part feedback / roadmap development...
If someone posts a complaint, I'd expect a company representative to reply quickly with 'Hi, sorry to hear you're having a problem. DM me your contact details and we'll get in touch to sort this out'. That is exactly the kind of reply you get on social media from almost every other company when people complain. It takes the heat out of a complaint discussion because right from the beginning you know the company is on it.

On the other hand, the FB group seems more fun and less moderated.
See you on FB peeps!
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Flexit!
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris