Why Keep This Forum Going?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
kpc001
CW-watches: 4

Re: Why Keep This Forum Going?

Post by kpc001 »

I had been away from the forum for a while. I've noticed a more negative tone. But as others have said, the forum is what you make it. Mergers change companies. They grow, they change, people leave. It's part of life. I will say I think the founders seem to making an effort to reassert their roles and connection with the public (at least to me). Whether you use FB or this forum, it's a good way to stay on top of the company and trends.

Facebook cannot provide the same in-depth conversations that can occur here. The knowledge and experience in the forum can't be reproduced in FB comments. Consider FB the Cliff's Notes of CW discussion...IMHO.
-Kevin

C900 World Timer
Trident Elite
C60 Trident Vintage (2nd Gen)
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

A lot of forums are impacted by so called 'social media' a travel forum I used to post regularly on has really gone pear shaped as so many seek or prefer to use the likes of facebook etc so I don't think it's everything to do with the brand. I am a bit old fashioned and don't have a facebook, instagram or twitter account, too many wierd people and attention seekers on there.

It is still a very good forum with many excellent active members so let's not be too critical - we also need regular input from new members. I note a couple were quick to respond when this thread started, where have you been? :D
Johnny
Martin
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 3

Post by Martin »

I suspect jtc is right. I joined over ten years ago, a time when internet forums were more popular perhaps. I joined, knowing next to nothing about watches, simply being fed up with cheap quartz pieces that looked tatty and worn after six months. Slowly, I have learned a little and have bought quite a few CWs. I owe the forum a debt as pretty much all I know I owe to the good people of this forum. But, I am more interested in other brands now. This is just a natural progression I guess. I still drop in most days and read a few things but I think the forum has probably peaked. We are now on the slow slide to a quiet death. No-one’s fault: just the natural way of these things.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Iv'e another good reason to give a why to keeping the forum going.......I only just joined. ;)

I also love the bargains section...those TK Maxx watches
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Ive moved away for two main reasons
1:- Logo
2:- The Watch Chat FB page
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin »

Kip wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:16 am ...
So why are we still here and why does CW support us. Because we are good for them in the long run and they do read this forum. They like constructive criticism and they like to see what they are doing right. They really do appreciate the feedback. What they do not appreciate is being attacked because they screw up.
We are still here because we provide an information source for many questions that CW receives both current and historical. We are first and foremost a CW forum, but provide areas where other brands can be discussed. You do not need to own a CW to be a member of this forum.
I have passively followed this forum since starting to research into CW as a new company before buying my first CW product. Some of the things that drew to CW and made me buy at that time my first watch from them followed by several others was the hype around the in-house movement, the interesting story the young company had and the quality for price offered with their products. All of these aspects were detailed on the forums here and the research into the watches and brand that I was able to do here was invaluable.

This research in any new product I buy obviously includes negative feedback as well. And every educated adult must be able to filter and interpret the information he consumes especially in this day and age. This has almost become a necessary skill-set nowadays and translates to all domains from politics to buying any type of consumer products or luxury goods.

Most of the posts detailing issues with the quality of CW watches or customer support I find to be very mature and constructive with credits given when the situation is being resolved or steered into the right direction. But all these experiences are valuable information for anyone that has invested their money and interest into the brand and I don't see any kind of situation where it is legitimate for CW to say we only want to hear positive feedback and praise and saying that "they do not appreciate is being attacked because they screw up".

Of course it is well within their right to say they won't support the forum or any platforms, that are too critical according to their standards, but that would for me personally be against their core values and the way they positioned and marketed their brand as an enthusiast affordable watch brand targeting and run by watch enthusiasts, that put great pride in providing a product that has very good quality, guarantee periods and customer support rivaling heavy watch brands like omega and rolex.

Finally I also don't think it is reasonable to set quality expectations by comparing several aspects of your products and service to some of the heavy hitters in the watch industry like the brands mentioned above (bezel action on the new trident or the "we merely look after it for the next generation" service add) but then be annoyed with criticism when customers post the most absurd CS and service faux pas stories here.

But to wrap it up on a positive note, my personal experience with the forum as a passive reader and later joining the ranks has been immensely valuable and helped me choose the right CW watches for me and provided valuable insight into several other topics relating to other brands or generally our common passion for watches.

So thank you for that!

BR

Andrei
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
Chris375
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 15

Post by Chris375 »

As you can see I am a fairly new member and discovered CW watches by chance. This year I have purchased five watches new from CW and my most recent one from a fellow member who I only met once I joined the forum. I have also purchased several straps from CW and was lucky enough to book an appointment at CW Towers to collect one of my purchases.
I have not had any problems with any of the watches (so far) and the service has been nothing but first class. I have read numerous posts bemoaning CS and QC, quite often by the same people either repeating themselves or possibly trying to stir things up. When I see these posts appearing I tend to not continue reading the threads.
I wasn't a member last year so don't know about any censorship issues but have felt the moderators have been very generous in allowing people to openly moan on numerous occasions.
The new logo has generated several posts and threads. CW is not alone in rebranding itself as it is recommended that companies should do this to stop becoming stale - personally I don't think it's necessary but I feel VW (that is Volkswagen) will create a bigger stir and debate with their new logo than that of CW.
Anyway, I won't be disappearing away in my yellow submarine cos of any revolution cos from me to you I shall stick on this long and winding road in my life cos all we need is love for us to come together!
10xCW, 3xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 6xOmega, 1xHamilton, 1xSeiko
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

Whether this is appropriate to this thread or not, I love it that so many members have joined in the fun by using Beatles references in their posts.

Makes me smile, thanks guys.

Especially as today is the 50th anniversary of the release of Abbey Road.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

Folks, on another note, I'm also a fairly new member to this forum..while I only own one CW, I'm interested in others, as well..while I primarily post at another watch forum, I just want all of you to know that this particular watch forum is held in high esteem by a lot of other WIS's that call other forums their primary home..I only came to know of this forum because I have seen numerous references to it else where..keep up the good work!!!...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

timor54 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:42 pm I’ve only been active here for about 18 months so have limited experiences to draw upon.

I’ve purchased 3 CW watches; new, nearly new and used; and a few accessories. My experience with CW has so far been very positive with none of the recounted horror stories.

Nevertheless, in my time I’ve observed a significant reduction in interesting forum activity. There is a trend for new members to pop up and post actively for a period of time (unfortunately all to often about perceived QC/CS issues) and then to disappear as active posters.

This forum has a huge number of registered users of which I’d estimate >95% have probably never posted more than once or twice, if at all.

From the outside it’s difficult to determine accurate statistics but I’d be surprised if there were more than 40-50 regulars posting. On the occasions I’ve looked at the list of active users it’s rare to see more than 20 registered users and that includes the Google and other web crawler bots!

There are a few people who attempt to start interesting watch content but the majority of these seem to get little traction and fade pretty quickly. Also it feels sometimes over moderated with any sparks of individuality or edginess been squashed.

It feels like it’s dying, the same few people posting in CW/NonCW watch of the day threads, and then liking each others posts. This is not a sound basis for the future and it’s also not very interesting.

All in all, it’s becoming a less interesting place but I’m persevering for the time being...
Hang in there, Tim..we need to see more pics of your new Oris!!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

I’ve been around a couple of years now and have definitely noticed a general air of negativity that has significantly reduced my time spent simply browsing around, reading what people have to say and enjoying some discussion.

What I found interesting was that I’ve received some truly stellar service from people at CW over the last year.

Sorting problems (not of their making), sourcing things that shouldn’t have been available, helping with costs on something I bought used that arrived damaged and even donating money to the charity fund for my gorgeous grandson who died two months ago.

This amazing service has come from quite junior people through to Chris himself.

On occasion I’ve posted about particularly good things they’ve done and I get maybe 4-5 responses.

However, slag them off and complain and you’re looking at pages and pages of replies. Go figure. . .
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Thanks, Barrie, for posting about the positive service you've received from CW. But, more importantly, can I offer my sincere condolences for the loss of your grandson. It's events like that which truly put other mundane things into perspective.

Best wishes, mate.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Molan »

Thanks Steve,

It was a pretty harrowing experience. He was just 5 years old and died whilst on holiday with my wife and I in Spain.

A few of the guys from the CWE Facebook page saw the news and helped to raise donations for the charity fund we set up for the school he loved so much.

This in turn reached CW towers and we received a personal donation from there as well.

It obviously won’t bring him back but it gave us something to focus on instead of the horrible events.

He was a budding little horologist too and already owned two watches - both bought by me :(
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Very sorry to hear that, Molan. It certainly puts our other moans into perspective.
Richard
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Barrie, I don't look at the CWE page in too much detail nowadays, so your awful news passed me by. But it's great to hear that some of the guys on the page reacted the way they did. And also that the guys at CW helped out too.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr