Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Re: Introducing the C65 Military Range - Dartmouth / Sandhurst / Cranwell

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Real dive watches get mucked up. I would personally take a nice cheap quartz to do the job and leave the nicer divers in the case. I know that sounds dumb but expensive watches can get beat up by a simple desk every day; why make it worse? :o
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Must have been in a rush with this photo - not set at the usual 10:08 time. :lol:

Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

watchaholic wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am Guess I prefer a screw down as well. Gives a level of percieved security, although not a deal breaker for me personally. This is not a watch I would ever take diving. Surely with a 150 rating it would be good for the occasional dunking. It is 2019, hopefully the technology relating to stem seals has improved. The problem I have found is because of the tight seals on the stem, they feel rather stiff when manually winding.
With a push in crown there's always the possibility of some wiggle of the stem in the tube while in the water, which may facilitate water ingress. Point in fact, Seiko divers' crowns screw down for the sole purpose of preventing crown movement under water. There's no additional gasket inside the crown of those.

I'm also in the group that prefers the additional peace of mind of having a secured crown with an additional in-crown gasket. Considering the manufacturer may or may not be testing 100% of the watches in factory (as per ISO6425), I prefer a more robust design to begin with. It's a proven design and adds very little to the cost.
IMO, all modern sports watches, especially divers, should have a screw down crown with multiple gaskets.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

I kinda like the Dartmouth, but I already have this one that I actually use for diving all the time:

(and it has a Triplock style screw-down crown with 4 gaskets, and it's cheaper than the CW)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Blackdog wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 pm(and it has a Triplock style screw-down crown with 4 gaskets, and it's cheaper than the CW)
That means when it leaks it won't be from the crown ;)
Squalus
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 6

Post by Squalus »

These three watches are list on CW's main page as best sellers.

Is there a large demand for military watches or are there other reasons for their popularity?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Squalus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 pm These three watches are list on CW's main page as best sellers.

Is there a large demand for military watches or are there other reasons for their popularity?
When you see 'Best Sellers' on most websites you should interpret this as products we want to sell.

Shopping carts and websites can easily be configured to say whatever the shop owner wishes. Most online shops will allow a product to be featured or promoted with a click, so don't read too much into it imho.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

DavecUK wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:15 pm
Blackdog wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:12 pm(and it has a Triplock style screw-down crown with 4 gaskets, and it's cheaper than the CW)
That means when it leaks it won't be from the crown ;)
So true...

But is the part you interact with the most. I like having a strong design there. Casebacks and crystals are a lot more static: if gaskets are fine and parts machined properly they tend to be more dependable.
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:24 pm
Squalus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 pm These three watches are list on CW's main page as best sellers.

When you see 'Best Sellers' on most websites you should interpret this as products we want to sell.

Shopping carts and websites can easily be configured to say whatever the shop owner wishes. Most online shops will allow a product to be featured or promoted with a click, so don't read too much into it imho.
That's disappointing if that's the case; though that would explain why the C60 Elite wasn't listed on the best sellers list. It was perhaps the fastest selling watch.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Squalus wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:39 pmThat's disappointing if that's the case; though that would explain why the C60 Elite wasn't listed on the best sellers list. It was perhaps the fastest selling watch.
Why advertise something to the public they can't buy anymore? :lol:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

Devarika Woulf wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:25 am
Why advertise something to the public they can't buy anymore? :lol:
That's a valid point but the watches were available for roughly three weeks, so they could listed it as a best seller for at least a week.

Even after they sold out, CW could then add the caption, 'This is what you could have bought if you were quicker!' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aesculapius
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Aesculapius »

Skypilot617 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:31 pm Can't understand some of the stylistic choices for the Cranwell. Why the colours? Surely RAF Blue would more appropriate. Why the light brown/yellow (OK it was on the Jaeger, but still?) for the quarter marks and hands - and no iconic Aviation double dots on the hack triangle. Most important of all, why a 'Bomber' watch with minutes rather than hours (and no hours on an inner circle)? Hardly any Pilot style or military watches go for this anachronistic look.

As an RAF Veteran I'd love one - but, sadly, I think this misses the target.
I can see why they went with the face design given the model they were basing this on -- but the choice of straps seems a little odd. I would have thought that they could at least have made ONE version with an RAF blue-grey strap...?

I'm also surprised not to see NATO straps (or some variant thereof) offered with these watches, either in plain colours (khaki/grey/navy blue/black) or in other appropriate service colours, such as the burgundy/sky/navy blue stripes of the RAF TRF.
Squalus
Expert
Expert

Post by Squalus »

Aesculapius wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:47 pm I can see why they went with the face design given the model they were basing this on -- but the choice of straps seems a little odd. I would have thought that they could at least have made ONE version with an RAF blue-grey strap...?
I agree with you on this and I would like to add that colour strap would be an excellent option for much of the current aviation line and the discontinued models that are out there.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

There are plenty of suitable aftermarket NATO straps available and worth noting that CW NATOs have never been branded (on the buckle).

Guy

PS > I have several CW NATOs.

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

Has anybody seen the video for these?
Why has it got US soldiers and F16's in it!
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)