Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Magrette Moana Pacific Waterman GMT

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

There are a number of forumites, myself included, who follow the fortunes of a small brand from the Land of the Long White Cloud, Magrette.

Details have recently been released by their European AD, FORaSEC, of a selection of new watches.

Based on Magrette's popular Waterman series is the Moana Pacific Waterman GMT, housing an ETA 2893-2 GMT movement (same as CW uses) in either a Steel or Bronze case with either a matt blue ceramic bezel or a blue/red 'Pepsi' Aluminium bezel.

A few initial pictures;-

Pre-orders are open now, with a 50% deposit, for expected delivery end of February 2020.

Further details may be found on FORaSEC's website here.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Magrette Moana Pacific Waterman GMT

Post by 0uatiOW »

I saw that yesterday too. I like it a lot - especially the bronze variant. Timing isn’t right for me, and I have too many GMTs to be able to justify another.

But, like you Guy, I am a fan of the brand, and of the customer service for which Dion is well known. His is a micro-brand which I have no hesitation buying (again), should the available models and the timing collide - the continual challenge of this hobby we all share.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I like the steel with the Pepsi bezel, but prefer the bronze with the blue. Guy, have you owned 44 and 42mm versions of Magrette watches? I love my Regattare Bronze, but it's just too big for regular wear on my small wrists. It looks fine with a t-shirt, but too big with long sleeves. I wonder how much smaller the 42mm actually wears. On the other hand, I find my 38mm Alpina Extreme Diver to be a tad small, even though 38mm is my sweet spot for round cases. I think 40mm would be my perfect size for this case style, but I think Magrette has only done 42 and 44mm.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Magrette Moana Pacific Waterman GMT

Post by gaf1958 »

I own four of their 42mm cases and one 44mm the titanium Kara, although I have owned 4 or 5 other 44mm steel cased Magrettes. To varying degrees the 42mm cases definitely wear smaller than the 44s. In order of smallest to largest feel mine are:

1. The original 42mm Dual Time. Thin (due to a “mere” 200m WR) it definitely wears smaller than any other Magrette I’ve owned.

2. The Waterman. I have the original steel cased release. While it does wear as small as the Dual Time, it’s definitely better than any 44.

3. The 2018 Dual Time and MPP diver cone last in this - they share a 500m WR case that is thicker than the other two, considerably so in the case of the 2014/5 Dual Time. Both nonetheless feel noticeably smaller than my 44mm Kara, although as its titanium it feels smaller on the wrist than its steel counterparts...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

I’ve periodically looked at Magrette in the past, they do seem to be nice designs.

The bronze with blue bezel looks particularly good and has decent BGW9 lume. However, the height of 14.5mm is probably too much for me. I guess it’s a factor of the 500m water resistance - not sure why that’s really necessary for a non-diver GMT watch?
Tim
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Some very cool looking watches there, though I suspect I would find them slightly on the large side. I like the steel version with both the plain and the Pepsi bezels, though as usual the bronze leaves me cold.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

None of them really jump out at me to be honest. I've really liked a few Magrettes in the past, in particular the latest black professional titanium with date, but these don't do it for me I'm afraid.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ I must say, Chris, the ones I really like are those limited additions with the Māori engravings on. They are über-cool.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

gaf1958 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am I own four of their 42mm cases and one 44mm the titanium Kara, although I have owned 4 or 5 other 44mm steel cased Magrettes. To varying degrees the 42mm cases definitely wear smaller than the 44s. In order of smallest to largest feel mine are:

1. The original 42mm Dual Time. Thin (due to a “mere” 200m WR) it definitely wears smaller than any other Magrette I’ve owned.

2. The Waterman. I have the original steel cased releas. While it does wear as small as the Dual Time, it’s definitely better than any 44.

3. The 2018 Dual Time and MPP diver cone last in this - they share a 500m WR case that is thicker than the other two, considerably so in the case of the 2014/5 Dual Time. Both nonetheless feel noticeably smaller than my 44mm Kara, although as its titanium it feels smaller on the wrist than its steel counterparts...
Thanks for the feedback, I might have to keep an eye out for a 200m Dual Time.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:^^^ I must say, Chris, the ones I really like are those limited additions with the Māori engravings on. They are über-cool.
If there is one engraved case watch I might buy, it would be one of those.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 pm ^^^ I must say, Chris, the ones I really like are those limited additions with the Māori engravings on. They are über-cool.
I must admit, Steve, I’d forgotten about those engraved ones. Yep, I’ll agree, they are ‘über cool’ 8)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

I'm having to avert my eyes from the Pepsi. I recently picked up a Moana Pacific Diver II and it's a nicely put together watch. Trying hard to curb my addiction... We'll see.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Lavaine wrote:Thanks for the feedback, I might have to keep an eye out for a 200m Dual Time.
I sold my white dialled one, but I have the green dialled PVD that I happen to be wearing today. Pic on my 7.25” wrist...

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

I just picked up a Bronze Waterman, which at 42mm diameter & 13mm thick* is 2mm smaller than the Kara in both measures, and it certainly wears smaller as you would expect.

(* Magrette’s website puts both watches as 15.3mm think - that’s incorrect for the Bronze Waterman).

My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Nice Kara.... :D