My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
triffidman
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: My C65 Trident GMT isn't waterproof!

Post by triffidman »

nordwulf wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:26 pm CW doesn't have to so anything for free because the warranty is on the movement only. And clearly, this is not a movement issue and any other parts of the watch do not have a warranty at all.
They may not have a warranty on the casing (which is bizarre to the extreme), but they do have to be fit for the purpose they are sold for (i.e. water resistance). It is this that make it so the OP should not be out of pocket.
C60 GMT (SOKKO)
C40 Chronograph

Laco Helsinki
Tissot T Touch Expert

Casio G-Shock Frogman
Casio G-Shock GPW-1000
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by UNIONmagazine »

TimB wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:03 pm From the CW website, quote,
"Although its appearance draws influence from the look of many iconic 1960's dive watches, the C65 Trident GMT's ability to track three separate time zones ensures it's as at home above the clouds as it is comfortable beneath the waves."

So simply put the watch isn't fit for purpose and should be repaired or replaced under guarantee unless there is some small print somewhere excluding usage in water.

I would be seeking trading standards advice if CW are being awkward.

Tim.
This - Exactly.
jimmbob
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 0

Post by jimmbob »

Ludicrous behaviour from the "Rolex of the internet". Get trading standards on the case, and if needs be put a public post on their social media.
A dive watch that you can't get wet after 6 months of ownership? Get your pennies back and spend them elsewhere.
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

jimmbob wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:48 pm Ludicrous behaviour from the "Rolex of the internet". Get trading standards on the case, and if needs be put a public post on their social media.
A dive watch that you can't get wet after 6 months of ownership? Get your pennies back and spend them elsewhere.
I'm having a char with their Head of Product Design later today. I'll see how that goes before making a decision on whether or not to involve trading standards.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

DavecUK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:57 pm Luxury watch brand divers might well be fine, but why on earth would anyone want to use them in the sea.
Because I could? This felt the right thing to wear, being as close as I could get it to it's original intention (that might be debatable). My then 3 year old PO after snorkelling at the barrier reef. It's all about trust in the product and the company that produces it. This wasn't the first time it had been in the sea either, nor the last, although my regular swim watch (pool) is an Armida.

'Tis me
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

DavecUK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:57 pm Luxury watch brand divers might well be fine, but why on earth would anyone want to use them in the sea.
Probably because that’s what they are designed for.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by stefs »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:24 pm
Probably because that’s what they are designed for.
Couldn't agree more! I have worn every one of my "luxury" watches in the water both dive style and any others with 100m upwards and will always continue to do so. That is entirely what they are for in my book. Why would anyone spend thousands of pounds on one of the most iconic dive watches ever made like the rolex submariner and be worried about getting it wet?

As far as the op's situation is concerned my view is that if cw don't sort this it is an utter disgrace. Customer service getting better! you're avin a giraffe!
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

My take on this situation is:

If the watch failed a pressure test when CW received it, then they should put it right under warranty. Probably a replacement watch, as so many internal parts, not just the movement, will have been contaminated by seawater.

If the watch passed a pressure test when CW received it, then the most likely explanation for the water damage is that the crown was left pulled open when the watch was immersed in the sea. The OP may dispute that, and indeed may not realise that it had happened, but that would be the most likely cause. In that situation, CW would be within its rights to not pay for the repair, as the user did not follow the instructions in the user manual. However, it may decide to fix it anyway as a gesture of goodwill, or meet half of the cost, etc. That will be for them to decide.

What we don't know is the crucial info of whether the watch passed the pressure test. If a pressure test was not carried out before CW disassembled the watch (if they have already) then my personal view is that CW will have to assume it was a manufacturing defect and sort out the issue for the customer under warranty.

Surely that's fair and reasonable? If not, any user who damages a watch by not ensuring the crown is closed (or, for another example, by pressing pushers on chronographs under the water) will expect to get their watch repaired free of charge, which then will just mean that watch prices will go up and all of us end up paying, even those of us who follow the instructions or never take their watches near water. That seems unfair to me. But I accept that other people will see it differently.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

What is going on in this thread? Between the members admonishing the OP for not knowing that he should soak his flooded watch in fresh water (apparently being a watch technician is now a requirement for ownership?), and the people crapping on him for using a divers watch (gasp!) in the ocean, I don't know what to think. Apparently this is the new CW forum attitude. Buy your watch, but never take it out of the house. Better yet, don't ever wear it. And for the love of god NEVER EVER use it for its intended purpose. If anything goes wrong with it, you'd better know how to fix it yourself before you call CW, as that is now the expectation, as apparently contacting CW for advice is not the right thing to do.
Disgusting responses to the OP in here. Shameful.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
A1soknownas
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by A1soknownas »

Lavaine wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm What is going on in this thread? Between the members admonishing the OP for not knowing that he should soak his flooded watch in fresh water (apparently being a watch technician is now a requirement for ownership?), and the people crapping on him for using a divers watch (gasp!) in the ocean, I don't know what to think. Apparently this is the new CW forum attitude. Buy your watch, but never take it out of the house. Better yet, don't ever wear it. And for the love of god NEVER EVER use it for its intended purpose. If anything goes wrong with it, you'd better know how to fix it yourself before you call CW, as that is now the expectation, as apparently contacting CW for advice is not the right thing to do.
:clap: Agreed
TimB
CW-watches: 0

Post by TimB »

Something I've never really thought about, so are CW dive watches just in the style of a dive watch or are they actually up to the job, pressure tested etc at the manufacturing stage? If not then it reminds me of those really cheap Chrono watches where the Chrono dials are just for show. I hope that's not the case with CW.

Tim.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Lavaine wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm What is going on in this thread? Between the members admonishing the OP for not knowing that he should soak his flooded watch in fresh water (apparently being a watch technician is now a requirement for ownership?), and the people crapping on him for using a divers watch (gasp!) in the ocean, I don't know what to think. Apparently this is the new CW forum attitude. Buy your watch, but never take it out of the house. Better yet, don't ever wear it. And for the love of god NEVER EVER use it for its intended purpose. If anything goes wrong with it, you'd better know how to fix it yourself before you call CW, as that is now the expectation, as apparently contacting CW for advice is not the right thing to do.
I very very very carefully stated that it was my personal view that I didn't use luxury dive watches in water and it was no slur on what the other person did and that CW should sort it out. I absolutely did not crap on him or anyone else for using a divers watch in the sea. I don't and I know there are a lot of people like me. I personally see water resistance as insurance, because after a year or so, water resistance is not guaranteed. In fact after the pressure test it's not guaranteed, by this I mean it may pass the test, that does not mean it won't leak the next day. So I don't want to take an expensive watch and use it in the sea.

I would never crap on anyone else who wants to do that, it's a personal decision. One of the problems with forums and no face to face, is you can read into comments what you want to read regardless of the care someone takes to not have them misinterpreted. Divers style watches like a Rolex submariner are designed for the deep sea, but the majority of owners paying whatever super high price for them, probably don't do any diving at all. I suspect many wouldn't wear them in the sea...but I'm probably wrong. I know I wouldn't want to.

Water damage is one of the hardest things to claim for, especially after a year has elapsed.
UNIONmagazine
Junior
Junior

Post by UNIONmagazine »

I've never posted on a watch forum before. I just assumed that victim blaming was business as usual.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I agree with Dave, I like the look of divers. They are my preferred style and I don’t even wear them in the shower.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

welshlad wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm My take on this situation is:

If the watch failed a pressure test when CW received it, then they should put it right under warranty. Probably a replacement watch, as so many internal parts, not just the movement, will have been contaminated by seawater.

If the watch passed a pressure test when CW received it, then the most likely explanation for the water damage is that the crown was left pulled open when the watch was immersed in the sea. The OP may dispute that, and indeed may not realise that it had happened, but that would be the most likely cause. In that situation, CW would be within its rights to not pay for the repair, as the user did not follow the instructions in the user manual. However, it may decide to fix it anyway as a gesture of goodwill, or meet half of the cost, etc. That will be for them to decide.

What we don't know is the crucial info of whether the watch passed the pressure test. If a pressure test was not carried out before CW disassembled the watch (if they have already) then my personal view is that CW will have to assume it was a manufacturing defect and sort out the issue for the customer under warranty.

Surely that's fair and reasonable? If not, any user who damages a watch by not ensuring the crown is closed (or, for another example, by pressing pushers on chronographs under the water) will expect to get their watch repaired free of charge, which then will just mean that watch prices will go up and all of us end up paying, even those of us who follow the instructions or never take their watches near water. That seems unfair to me. But I accept that other people will see it differently.
Seems a fair summary as far as use of a CW is concerned.

However if I understand correctly, from a previous comment by a well know forumite, there is at least one British brand whose 100m WR with push in crown models will pass the pressure test, even if the crown is not pushed in. :)

I think it’s one of your favourite brands! :wink:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK