Discuss Christopher Ward watches
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Trident Elite 1000 LE - running slowly - advice please

Post by IanKelly63 »

Hi There,

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an Elite 1000 ('#288). However, when I received it, it was running some 11/12s slow per day. I advised CW right away, and I waited a few weeks before returning the watch to see if it might settle down. It didn't, so I sent it in to be regulated.

I go the watch back last week. It is not as slow as it was, but is still losing 6/7s per day.

This is a COSC certified watch, and should run at between -4 and +6 per day. Why would CW return it when it is still very clearly not running as per specification? I shouldn't have to send it back to CW for exactly the same reason I sent it to them in the first place.

What would you advise? Am I being to 'anal' about this whole COSC thing?

Ian
CW x 3
Others...
Casio x 8,Citizen x 2,Coen Anders x 1,Hamilton x 3,Ingersoll x 1,Junghans x 2,
Marloe x 2,Orient x 1,Rotary x 1,Seiko x 3,Swatch x 1,Tissot x 2
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Trident Elite 1000 LE - running slowly - advice please

Post by neilj568 »

You pay for a COSC certified watch and yes it should run as you stated -4/+6 per day. I would contact them and ask what they intend to do about it.
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

It should average out at that fully wound and in 5/6 positions and various temps (with a max variance for each position), I think for 6h or possibly longer, can't remember the detail you can look it up. The critical bit is a full state of wind and not being worn on a wrist or in motion during the tests.

That said 6/7s per day isn't super fantastic but it might be you are relatively inactive and it's not in a full state of mind...there are films that can help ;)

One of the things Rolex Singapore offered me (it was a free service), if after wearing the watch with my wear patterns, activity level and type, if say it lost 3 per day, they would be happy to put it back on the equipment and set it to gain 3 overall from how they would normally adjust it, so it matched the wearer.

If you find it's consistent in it's loss and not isochronism due to being at a low state of wind.....then you could always try asking them to regulate it to gain 2 or 3, from where they set it now. This should only require them to place on a timegrapher and give it plus 3 from whatever it reads. But ensure you test it again (before asking)and manually wind it fully and keep it fully wound then see how it performs..

Always remember it's a mechanical device, when you swing your arm, or move, or knock your arm/wrist, sit with the watch vertical or horizontal more it affects the balance wheel, as does temperature and state of wind.

my own C65 SH21 loses about 1 sec per day when fully wound, but let it get to 3.5 days power left and it goes slower, below 3 days slower still...can be up to 7 or 8 seconds. Surprising considering the large power reserve, but thats COSC for you. My C65 was set correctly on 3rd September and with the running down I mentioned it has lost in total 27 seconds in 15 full days, at least 12 seconds of that was in 2 days where I let the state of wind get very low. Even so less than 2 seconds a day over a long period is still quite remarkable.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

My C60 Trident Elite 1000 was my most accurate mechanical watch to date, running at less than +1sec per day (about 3 sec per week).

As has already been mentioned you ought to have a watch that is within the advertised specification (I presume you are referring to the timing during consistent daily wear, when it should be fully wound most of the time).

Advice? Politely Contact CW and ask them if they will take it back and get it running within specification.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:14 pm My C60 Trident Elite 1000 was my most accurate mechanical watch to date, running at less than +1sec per day (about 3 sec per week).

As has already been mentioned you ought to have a watch that is within the advertised specification (I presume you are referring to the timing during consistent daily wear, when it should be fully wound most of the time).

Advice? Politely Contact CW and ask them if they will take it back and get it running within specification.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
And you might want to decide beforehand whether you take their view on the minimum period of time they'll want the watch for or whether you're prepared to say "take your time please, just get it right" . Actually I just had a change of heart on that tactic as I'd be rather more worried about your repair/regulation going to the bottom of the in-tray. Teeth-gritting time it seems.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Thanks Chaps,

Lots of useful information. I particularly liked the film comment, but I won't be doing that!!

I've got another CW watch which is running at +1s per day, so I think my wear pattern is pretty good - generally, a watch goes on my wrist at 0630hrs and stays there until 2300hrs. Plus, I'm quite active.

Personally, I think CWs handling of my issue is boardering on the contemptuous; making a half arsed attempt to regulate my watch and sending it back when it is clearly still out of whack.

I'll get in touch and see what they say.

Cheers!
CW x 3
Others...
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

I wonder where the numbers on the chronometer certificate came from? I would send it back but with a 2 week deadline otherwise refund time. That might focus them to a sensible timescale.
FS Bremont solo 37
Cheers now, Paul
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

Hi Paul,

That's a good question re. COSC certificate. I just assumed that something had happened to my watch whilst in transit.

When a watch is regulated, I'd expect a print out from a timegrapher, showing how the watch is performing.

I can't really give CW deadlines; they fail to meet their own!

Ian
CW x 3
Others...
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

It needs readjusting to COSC specifications, simple as that.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

IanKelly63 wrote:Hi Paul,

That's a good question re. COSC certificate. I just assumed that something had happened to my watch whilst in transit.

When a watch is regulated, I'd expect a print out from a timegrapher, showing how the watch is performing.

Ian
I'd bet sixpence they dont provide timegrapher evidence and I often wonder if the COSC certificate provided with a new watch isn't actually pertaining to that individual watch.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20 & 23FLE
Some other brands
IanKelly63
Senior
Senior

Post by IanKelly63 »

I'd bet sixpence they dont provide timegrapher evidence and I often wonder if the COSC certificate provided with a new watch isn't actually pertaining to that individual watch.
But that would be fraud right?
CW x 3
Others...
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Probably just a mistake - but the Ombre that I returned (model released late 2018) had a COSC certificate dated from 2015 2014! :shock:
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

tikkathree wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 am

Ian

Wonder no more Pete. :)

As a rule, when you receive a new COSC certified watch, the crystal sticker will have a serial number on it that will match up to the serial number of the movement; which will then correspond to the serial number of the movement stated on the COSC certificate.

Simples. :eek:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am
tikkathree wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 am

Ian

Wonder no more Pete. :)

As a rule, when you receive a new COSC certified watch, the crystal sticker will have a serial number on it that will match up to the serial number of the movement; which will then correspond to the serial number of the movement stated on the COSC certificate.

Simples. :eek:

Guy
Agree that's how it should work, but I've had a couple with no sticker despite having the cosc certificate - all depends on how robust procedures are and if they are followed imho.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am Probably just a mistake - but the Ombre that I returned (model released late 2018) had a COSC certificate dated from 2015 2014! :shock:
That can be perfectly normal....it's only the movement that is certified minus hands, face rotor and often date wheel/function. They are not certified after casing, although Rolex do their own extensive checks after casing a watch. Most of my service time was because of these checks.

The movements can then be stored in a climate controlled cabinet (in little plastic boxes) until required. It's pulled out, dial hands and rotor placed on, cased, possibly (hopefully) time checked in 5 positions and then the back put on. That movement might have been assembled years before and part of a large tested batch. Don't for a minute think just because the movement has sat in a cabinet for 5 years that they are going to take it apart, clean, re-oil and reassemble it....that's not going to happen.

Please don't ever think the movement in your watch was COSC and cased just before you got it....although relatively high volume Sellita COSC movements might well be fairly new. It's also why the service intervals are...well I've said my bit about those.