New CW owner confused

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Gasman
Senior
Senior

New CW owner confused

Post by Gasman »

I have had a CW for a few weeks purely because I like the looks of it. But after reading many posts on this forum it appears that the CW customer service is sub standard to say the least. If this is the case why do so many buy them?
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Re: New CW owner confused

Post by DavecUK »

Gasman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm I have had a CW for a few weeks purely because I like the looks of it. But after reading many posts on this forum it appears that the CW customer service is sub standard to say the least. If this is the case why do so many buy them?
I bought an SH21 based watch because I like in house movements. I also live in hope that they are improving and will continue to improve..
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Same as DavecUK. They're also local and I like to support local business rather than a faceless entity.

I didn't realise how much of a car crash they actually are though and if I had I'd probably have steered clear.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by MarkingTime »

CW watches on the second hand market are generally good value. They will usually have already had any warranty issues dealt with, so you are looking at relatively well made, attractive watches with robust, reliable and easily serviced movements. They also will hold a reasonable value assuming sale price and not full RP.

The customer service is actually quite good when it works, the real problem is a lack of quality control in the back of shop processes, such as returns, repairs and servicing, there appears to be little to no co-ordination.
If you are prepared to put in some effort, you can easily end up with a satisfactory resolution when dealing with the CS department (applies to any company), not that as a paying customer you should have to do so, mind you, but then again, you make you're own luck in life.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I continue to buy their watches, and fully support the brand, because I have had nothing but positive experiences with them. This is from visits to their showroom, prompt replies to emails and polite, well-informed and efficient telephone calls to them.

I think that the reason you “see” so many negative comments is that people, in general, are too happy to post negative comments rather than positive. In fact, many of the negative posts seem to be from new(ish) forum members who seem to have registered with the primary intention of venting their frustrations.

Just my opinion though. I fully intend to buy more watches and support the brand until my own, personal, experiences with CW change.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

I must say this forum is far friendlier than the Rolex and Omega forums. Some of the members seem to just want to contradict or troll you and for me has put me off the brand a little. Especially the Rolex fanboys, but they must have thick skins as I’ve had plenty of goes at them and they don’t seem to realise.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

I'm still happy with all my CWs. My sole problem is that I see nothing in their current lineup that make me more greedy than my older CWs did (and still do). I do have a somewhat weird taste in watches, or so it seems -- I liked my Omega Genève and my CW Kingfisher (and even my Seiko 5) better than my Omega Seamaster coaxial. The good news is that this makes it easier on the wallet. ;)

My youngest CW is now ten years old. I've never needed their repair service, but that's mainly because I live overseas, and have access to an expert watchmaker. I've had one non-major problem that still needs to be taken care of (I keep putting it off).

I think the issues that they're currently experiencing are growing pains, which have apparently been inadequately dealt with. From a distance, it seems that one of the founders has now taken ownership of the problems, so I'm assuming they're learning from it.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Jcalder68 pretty much what I was going to say. :clap: :thumbup:
Steve.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Thermexman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:00 pm Jcalder68 pretty much what I was going to say. :clap: :thumbup:
Same for me too :thumbup:
I'd only add that CW watches offer great value for money too.
SimonCB
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by SimonCB »

I bought a C65 Trident Diver earlier in the year after visiting CW HQ. That, and every time I've dealt with CW has been excellent. Whilst I've read/heard that others have had issues, my experience thus far has been good (and my watch is beautiful)
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

Well from the responses on this thread it appears it’s not all bad. I suppose it’s more people moaning rather than sharing their good experiences.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Gasman wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:27 pm Well from the responses on this thread it appears it’s not all bad. I suppose it’s more people moaning rather than sharing their good experiences.
Indeed. It would only take a dozen or so posts about negative experiences to appear on here and you’d be put off. The hundreds of good experiences, that don’t get mentioned, would be of no consequence.

Not the same but worth pondering: we bought a new Seat Ibiza in May ‘17. Apart from a faulty battery in the first week, it’s been absolutely faultless and our experiences with the dealer have been great too. I recently read a Whatcar reliability survey that put this very car as bottom out of the 25 cars on it’s list. Had I read this before I purchased, I would have looked elsewhere!
Steve.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Just honest Steve with no agenda. For me at least I've had too many issues with QC and customer service in 2019 and I vote with my wallet.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 pm Just honest Steve with no agenda. For me at least I've had too many issues with QC and customer service in 2019 and I vote with my wallet.
Can’t blame you for that if that’s how it’s been for you.
Steve.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

what-time-is-it wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:06 pm Just honest Steve with no agenda. For me at least I've had too many issues with QC and customer service in 2019 and I vote with my wallet.
I concur, I've actually held back a lot. I'll be posting a mostly opinion free report of my customer service experience once I finally get my watch back. People can take or leave what they want from it. I'm pretty sure I was only complimentary towards CW on the forum in the past.