Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Re: CW spin on the Patek tagline

Post by Bungle-ator »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am
peterh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am
ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am

and it takes about the same amount of time to teach someone to fish as opposed to catching them a fish. but one informs them much better for later...
A few observations:
1. You shoot yourself in the foot with the above argument. One could say the forum would have taught you how to effectively use Google, rather than pamper you with the context.
Which, by the way, is an invaluable asset.
2. You have now spent more time trying to convince the Internet that you're right and they're wrong than it would have taken you to Google "patek philippe tagline". You may want to think about what kind of impression that creates.
3. Um, in retrospect, there is no three. Just let this sink in, and use the newly found insight to pick your battles. If that's not what you want, you may want to limit your exposure to the Internet.
I pick my battles very carefully...as far as CW forum related battles, this is a hill I'm willing to die on. OP should always include all the relevant info. Now anyone reading this will be more conscientious of doing so when making future posts, and if they don't I'll post again once again telling them they should provide the proper context. I know how to google...I want to make sure everyone else knows how to properly provide info. It will make for a much more readable forum as a whole when I don't have to do additional research to understand a post. We should always strive to be as efficient as possible, and idk how anyone can argue it's perfectly fine to not give proper context for a post.
Maybe you want dictionary definitions for every word people use in case your vocabulary isn't sufficient?

The context you're asking for was already given when the Patek tagline was referenced whether it was quoted or not.

Quite the opposite of making the forum more readable, an explanation to everything referenced would be painful reading.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Oh dear. :problem:

I answered the blinkin' question on page 1. Must we always continue to flagellate the horse after it has courteously closed the stable door before breathing its last?

Revenons à nos moutons...

...the PP tagline.

No. I'm not a fan of the tongue-in-cheek approach from CW. Not their cleverest idea.

Mind you, I never rated the PP line in the first place. A bit up itself if you ask me.

A friend of mine wears a Calatrava and he definitely owns it, so that's a load of tosh.

Anyone want to add to the original discussion or shall we just continue to fire blanks across No-Man's Land?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:26 pm Oh dear. :problem:

I answered the blinkin' question on page 1. Must we
Mind you, I never rated the PP line in the first place. A bit up itself if you ask me.
Really? I think it's great. We don't own anything that will outlast us, we're just custodians for whoever it's going to be passed onto. It's fantastically simplistic.
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jeff Spangle »

sproughton wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm
Jeff Spangle wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:20 pm and this is why the forum sometimes has issues and the FB group doesn't.
Genuinely interested in what you mean by this as someone who skims the FB group occasionally. Are there no differences of opinion there?
Yes of course, but not in the same vein as exhibited here.
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Well?

Seeing as my 'next generation' (son) doesn't own a watch, has no intention of getting one and thinks my addiction admiration of them is bonkers; I seem to be faced with at least two options;-

1. There is no point in me every buying a Patek Phillipe or if I do, perhaps I should put it in my will that it it be cremated along with me and the Crematorium can have the scrap value of the gold, along with the titanium in my hips.

2. There is no point in ever getting my CWs serviced; I should just wear them into the ground.

3. Can't think of a 3. Any suggestions?

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm Well?

Seeing as my 'next generation' (son) doesn't own a watch, has no intention of getting one and thinks my addiction admiration of them is bonkers; I seem to be faced with at least two options;-

1. There is no point in me every buying a Patek Phillipe or if I do, perhaps I should put it in my will that it it be cremated along with me and the Crematorium can have the scrap value of the gold, along with the titanium in my hips.

2. There is no point in ever getting my CWs serviced; I should just wear them into the ground.

3. Can't think of a 3. Any suggestions?

Guy
Continue to enjoy your hobby and he can still inherit them and push them on if he's really not interested. I'm planning on one more (big) purchase and it's for me without any care on who will want it later on. If my kids want my watches or not I'll enjoy them while I have them before they end up with whomever.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I think my son will be more interested in the house I own and the business that my parents own (if I inherit it) than any watches I own when I pop my clogs :lol:
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

Bungle-ator wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:10 pm
ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 am
peterh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am
A few observations:
1. You shoot yourself in the foot with the above argument. One could say the forum would have taught you how to effectively use Google, rather than pamper you with the context.
Which, by the way, is an invaluable asset.
2. You have now spent more time trying to convince the Internet that you're right and they're wrong than it would have taken you to Google "patek philippe tagline". You may want to think about what kind of impression that creates.
3. Um, in retrospect, there is no three. Just let this sink in, and use the newly found insight to pick your battles. If that's not what you want, you may want to limit your exposure to the Internet.
I pick my battles very carefully...as far as CW forum related battles, this is a hill I'm willing to die on. OP should always include all the relevant info. Now anyone reading this will be more conscientious of doing so when making future posts, and if they don't I'll post again once again telling them they should provide the proper context. I know how to google...I want to make sure everyone else knows how to properly provide info. It will make for a much more readable forum as a whole when I don't have to do additional research to understand a post. We should always strive to be as efficient as possible, and idk how anyone can argue it's perfectly fine to not give proper context for a post.
Maybe you want dictionary definitions for every word people use in case your vocabulary isn't sufficient?

The context you're asking for was already given when the Patek tagline was referenced whether it was quoted or not.

Quite the opposite of making the forum more readable, an explanation to everything referenced would be painful reading.
So you're really going to go with "insulting the posters intelligence" and "slippery slope" argument? Is that really the hill you want to die on?

I have no need to reduce myself to that. OP made a comparison...but left off half the comparison. I informed him it would be nice to have included that...I'm obviously not the only one unaware of PP tagline and it would have helped many.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Ay, these polemics are becoming just a tad quixotic. Perhaps the hill to die on will have a windmill at the top. I’m sure Dulcinea will be impressed, boys. :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm Ay, these polemics are becoming just a tad quixotic. Perhaps the hill to die on will have a windmill at the top. I’m sure Dulcinea will be impressed, boys. :D
Now this is a post that actually needs context :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia

Google is your friend! :D
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Something to do with Don Quixote? (from memory).

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Completely off topic from the pedantry of this thread, that "die on that hill" phrase has to rank as one of the most ridiculous expressions of the day, of which there are many. :thumbdown:
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

AVO is right, though. Let's stop feeding the troll, guys.

So... yeah. The Patek tagline and CW's "play" on it are so similar, I can't imagine this was by accident.
And no, it's not what I would've done either.

Also... commenting on CW service turnaround time, a play on "the next generation" would be a cheap shot. And yet... it's sooo tempting. CW is basically setting itself up here.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:56 pm Something to do with Don Quixote? (from memory).
Absolutely right. Quite possibly the greatest literary achievement of the Second Millennium, if not of all time. And it’s all about keeping a sense of perspective and seeing things for what they really are.
Steve