CW spin on the Patek tagline

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Re: CW spin on the Patek tagline

Post by ScofieldReturns »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am It takes about the same amount of time to answer a question as it does to write a post criticising someone for asking it. :yawn:
and it takes about the same amount of time to teach someone to fish as opposed to catching them a fish. but one informs them much better for later...
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^That's my day job. I'm off duty here.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:19 am It takes about the same amount of time to answer a question as it does to write a post criticising someone for asking it. :yawn:
Even quicker to Google it yourself :lol:
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am
and it takes about the same amount of time to teach someone to fish as opposed to catching them a fish. but one informs them much better for later...
A few observations:
1. You shoot yourself in the foot with the above argument. One could say the forum would have taught you how to effectively use Google, rather than pamper you with the context.
Which, by the way, is an invaluable asset.
2. You have now spent more time trying to convince the Internet that you're right and they're wrong than it would have taken you to Google "patek philippe tagline". You may want to think about what kind of impression that creates.
3. Um, in retrospect, there is no three. Just let this sink in, and use the newly found insight to pick your battles. If that's not what you want, you may want to limit your exposure to the Internet.
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

peterh wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 am
ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:19 am
A few observations:
1. You shoot yourself in the foot with the above argument. One could say the forum would have taught you how to effectively use Google, rather than pamper you with the context.
Which, by the way, is an invaluable asset.
2. You have now spent more time trying to convince the Internet that you're right and they're wrong than it would have taken you to Google "patek philippe tagline". You may want to think about what kind of impression that creates.
3. Um, in retrospect, there is no three. Just let this sink in, and use the newly found insight to pick your battles. If that's not what you want, you may want to limit your exposure to the Internet.
I pick my battles very carefully...as far as CW forum related battles, this is a hill I'm willing to die on. OP should always include all the relevant info. Now anyone reading this will be more conscientious of doing so when making future posts, and if they don't I'll post again once again telling them they should provide the proper context. I know how to google...I want to make sure everyone else knows how to properly provide info. It will make for a much more readable forum as a whole when I don't have to do additional research to understand a post. We should always strive to be as efficient as possible, and idk how anyone can argue it's perfectly fine to not give proper context for a post.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

My thoughts are:
- it’s a watch forum. Probably taken as read that forumites knew the PP tag line.
- it takes longer to teach someone how to fish, than it does to catch a fish.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

We are on the forum of a non-mainstream watch brand which suggests that we're probably into watches.
Therefore, I think it is reasonable for the OP to assume that people may know the tagline of perhaps the most prestigious of all mainstream watch brands.
And if they don't, a quick search doesn't harm anyone ... with the exception of one perhaps. As the CW tagline suggests to us all "Do Your Research".

Talk about 1st world problems :thumbdown:
Ryan
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

ScofieldReturns wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:54 amOP should [...]

[...] if they don't I'll post again once again telling them they should [...]

We should [... ]
I don't think you have even the faintest idea how you come across.
All I'm saying is, you may want to give some thought about the impression you create.

That's it. No further questions, Your Honour. I rest my case.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

At least no one asked what's a Patek Phillipe ;)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Just a thought, but is “you know who” back on the Forum?
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am Just a thought, but is “you know who” back on the Forum?
:pssst:
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

DavecUK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:46 am At least no one asked what's a Patek Phillipe ;)
Or what Loupe is...
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by peterh »

TheBeatles wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:20 am Just a thought, but is “you know who” back on the Forum?
I've tried to google that for context, I swear I have, officah!
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jeff Spangle »

and this is why the forum sometimes has issues and the FB group doesn't.
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

Jeff Spangle wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:20 pm and this is why the forum sometimes has issues and the FB group doesn't.
Genuinely interested in what you mean by this as someone who skims the FB group occasionally. Are there no differences of opinion there?