Bad experience with Christopher ward watch and it's customer services

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Re: Bad experience with Christopher ward watch and it's customer services

Post by KevinB »

Essex Paul wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm Gotta be a record?
7 weeks for a battery change?
Took 3 days to have a “technician” at a jewellers to do the wife’s battery change. :lol:
Wonder why they’re not taking on staff?
:shock:
It is so flipping simple to solve this. Day 1 A watch comes in for battery change. Logged and put in queue. Day 2 one tech does -all- battery changes and pressure tests before touching anything else. Returns watches to shipping department. Day 2/3 watch returned to customer. Every single day. That's the flow. On some days that is all they'll do. On others they'll do two and go back to triage for the watches that need a trip to Switzerland. It kills me that nobody has any idea on how to service.

I'm not the only one on this forum that manages customer service. It is more important than product in an established brand. Service is your reputation. It makes my heart hurt to see a company I believe in struggle on basics. I've been through it. I get it. I want them to succeed at this. But quite frankly this is an all day every day until it is solved moment for the founders and I don't see that they've got the passion for it. It isn't as glamorous as that new moonglow. It isn't glamorous at all. But if they don't delegate it and simply get grubby, this will be dealt with. It needs to be Chris or Mike on those trust pilot review responses. They need to step up. They need to admit they took their eye off the ball in the quest for market share. If they do that? They'll slay this dragon and pull a bunch of us off the fence we're sitting on. This is the moment leaders are made. They can do this. Will they?
FullFat
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Post by FullFat »

Disappointed is not the word. No sign of despatch of the watch as promised either Monday or Tuesday - No answer from customer services when I rang. This to me shows utter disregard for the customers. I know they have a sale going on, I've bought a watch in it myself (which I will now be returning because if there is ever an issue it seems that CW customer service cannot cope), but there has to be an effort to look after the mundane day to day work for existing customers. I've been a long standing CW customer but will not be buying anything until this debacle of customer service is sorted!
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Mikkei4 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:34 amThese issues haven't stopped people hoovering up the Summer Sale watches !
Actually in my case that's not true, I have seen quite a few on sale and the issues around customer service and charges have been worrisome. I liked the idea of the in house movement, but am now wondering if that holds one to "ransom" with future repairs and maintenance. Although I suspect a good watchmaker would have no trouble working on it, could they get parts?

IMO the lack of a great customer service proposition can make a brand worthless after the warranty period expires, especially if a service or two almost exceeds the residual value of the watch. I do like some of the CW watches, but all the service comments in various threads certainly been given me pause for thought.
gatehealing
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 9

Post by gatehealing »

I know that CW won’t be concerned about a losing a few customers on the forum since apparently we represent such a small fraction of their business, but I’ve seen several watches in sales that I absolutely would’ve purchased before the QA and CS issues became so rampant. I will not likely purchase anything until these issues are fixed for a consistent period of time. Of course, perfection is not possible and I don’t expect it. But if I’m seeing this many issues here, how many other non-forum customers are having issues? How many read complaints here and just goto a local reputable repair shop (some maybe not knowing that may void warranty)?
Fat-Sam
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fat-Sam »

I agree, I sent mine back and am happy with the replacement (although have now noticed a tiny smudge under the crystal- accentuated by the glossy dial but barely visible so I can live with it... just haha)

But I probably wouldnt take the risk on another and would certainly avoid the in house movement over a lack of faith. Part of my reason for choosing the c60 was the ease of servicing elsewhere, haven't seen enough to give me confidence with a less pedestrian movemen
“Downsizing…”
JLC Reverso Duoface med.*gift
Omega Seamaster Deville 1961
DIY Watch Club Diver
DIY Explorer
Raymond Weil Toccata
SevenFriday P1/01
Longines x HODINKEE *FS
Laco Aachen 42 *FS
Tribus MDS *FS
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

It seems mine is ready to come back so I'm waiting to be told I can collect it, or if they're ignoring this request I'll be waiting on it coming in the post. I'll be starting a new thread on what the whole process has been like from start to finish* after I get it back. Given what's detailed in the email, or rather what's not detailed in the email they sent me I've got a bad feeling it's going to have to go straight back to them.
peterh
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by peterh »

gatehealing wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 pm I know that CW won’t be concerned about a losing a few customers on the forum since apparently we represent such a small fraction of their business
If they wouldn't be concerned, it WILL bite them. These things have a tendency to escalate... and as we say in Dutch "trust comes on foot, but it leaves on horseback". Every week such an epic service cluster**** would last, adds a quarter (of a year) of effort to rebuild that trust and make the ugly rumours subside.

If I'd work for that company, I'd step up to the plate and state "... this has to end, and it has to end starting today. Cancel all meetings; we're going to sit down now, come up with an actionable plan on how to solve this, and hand out responsibility for the execution of that plan starting right after the meeting, or the company will go tits up. And we won't communicate this to our customers until we can prove that we're putting our money where our mouth is."

Repeat business is the easiest business to get. Keeping existing customers is cheaper than reeling in new customers; maintaining a good service reputation is crucial. In this case, fixing the problem seems to be fixing the process. That's easy, affordable, and crucial.

It is, in fact, so easy, I could do that... I've done it before, with success. But I'm not gonna; I already have a job. So if you want to offer your organisational skills to CW to get this sorted, I will not compete with you. ;-)
Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

It's a funny old business the watch business, a bit like the high end prosumer coffee machine business. I collect those as well, they take up a lot of space though so the collection gets culled occasionally. The machines cost on average 2-3.5K each (add £500-£2000) for the grinder and when someone buys into the kit then tend to buy it once.

It's not so much about repeat business, but aspirational purchases that end up driving the volume. Aspirational purchase is all about brand image, service and the whole customer experience. The forum is a Microcosm of the outside world and really should be a valuable resource for CW, not only for issues, but for the whole service proposition. Lets face it, brand is the main thing that differentiates watch A from Watch B equivalent costing 3 times the price.

A case of better steel costs nuts, as does many other things within the watch...maintaining quality, providing superlative service...that costs lots but it creates a brand. The other thing that doesn't help them is changing brand image too often and having too many designs of watch...it's has two effects. The sweetshop effect where the little boy can't choose and the fear that your latest purchase goes out of date. The coffee machines that don't change for 5 or 6 years sell better than the ones that have a new version coming out each year. Rolex used to do the same model for decades.

Another thing I believe hurts them is the number of new watches on ebay, no doubt purchased at auctions and fire sales when it's out with the old and in with the new.

Going back to service, it needs to sit front and centre at every monthly board meeting driving everything the company does and every decision it makes. The customer service manager should be an integral part of all Board meetings. The service proposition is a key product that is effectively sold with every watch and needs to be seen that way by CW.
paul64

Post by paul64 »

I love Peter's signature, not sure it helps a company with repeat business

"Man with one watch, always know time. Man with many watches, never sure.
(unidentified Chinese philosopher)"

I agree with the posts about customer experience and service BTW
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Questions - Chat with Co Founders - London GTG / CW Event - 31st August 2019

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Seeing as this thread has popped up again, I thought it pertinent to quote my post from the GTG questions topic, which covers some of the points raised in posts made here in the last 24 hours or so;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
jtc wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 pm How are you tracking customer satisfaction and do you believe you've fixed all the problems with customer service?
StrapMeister wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 pm What exactly are the new CS processes that have been put into place?

Are CS staffing levels going to increase to cope with the increase in demand from both buyers and returns?
Mike France told us that he is now dealing personally with all CS related matters. Trust Pilot is a powerful feedback tool. As yet, all problems have yet to be fixed and improvements are a work in progress.

MF explained to me after the main chat that Customer Service has recently been divided into two divisions, each with a CS Manager (reporting to MF).

Inbound - as the name suggests deals with all inbound enquiries and requests for the likes on information, place an order, request service / returns pack etc.

Logistics - deals with all 'behind the scenes' work. Processing of returns, warranty, service etc.

CW have a new phone system due to be installed in the next few weeks, which should improve their capability to deal with and respond to phone call.

CS staffing levels will be increased.

CW are recruiting, not only for CS staff but also for an experienced watchmaker to work in Maidenhead;- CW Careers
Trust this helps and clarifies.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

Clearly CW are taking this area seriously...
Ranger
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 19

Post by Ranger »

DavecUK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm Clearly CW are taking this area seriously...
Indeed, good to hear.
Gettin' A Whole Lot Older Every Day...
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

DavecUK wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm Clearly CW are taking this area seriously...
Yes, well, maybe. They have traditionally been behind the curve on the causes of moans and groans. Basically playing catch-up. But let's hope MF actually delivers this time.
'Tis me
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Questions - Chat with Co Founders - London GTG / CW Event - 31st August 2019

Post by smegwina »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Seeing as this thread has popped up again, I thought it pertinent to quote my post from the GTG questions topic, which covers some of the points raised in posts made here in the last 24 hours or so;-
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
jtc wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:13 pm How are you tracking customer satisfaction and do you believe you've fixed all the problems with customer service?
StrapMeister wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 pm What exactly are the new CS processes that have been put into place?

Are CS staffing levels going to increase to cope with the increase in demand from both buyers and returns?
Mike France told us that he is now dealing personally with all CS related matters. Trust Pilot is a powerful feedback tool. As yet, all problems have yet to be fixed and improvements are a work in progress.

MF explained to me after the main chat that Customer Service has recently been divided into two divisions, each with a CS Manager (reporting to MF).

Inbound - as the name suggests deals with all inbound enquiries and requests for the likes on information, place an order, request service / returns pack etc.

Logistics - deals with all 'behind the scenes' work. Processing of returns, warranty, service etc.

CW have a new phone system due to be installed in the next few weeks, which should improve their capability to deal with and respond to phone call.

CS staffing levels will be increased.

CW are recruiting, not only for CS staff but also for an experienced watchmaker to work in Maidenhead;- CW Careers
Trust this helps and clarifies.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Thanks Guy.

Hopefully this is the case, especially as I will be sending in a couple in for warranty repairs.

Actually I won't be sending them. Due to the current issues, I will be dropping them off personally, will be outlining my expectations of a date of repair and return. Once the inspection has been carried out, and have been given a date of completion, I will be on the doorstep on the day that the watch is due to be ready to collect.

We shall see.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

smegwina wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:31 pm

Hopefully this is the case, especially as I will be sending in a couple in for warranty repairs.

Actually I won't be sending them. Due to the current issues, I will be dropping them off personally, will be outlining my expectations of a date of repair and return. Once the inspection has been carried out, and have been given a date of completion, I will be on the doorstep on the day that the watch is due to be ready to collect.

We shall see.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You're not going to be given a date for completion after an inspection. At best you'll be able to collect it when it's ready but you'll never get that date in advance.